GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
DM NOTE:

GM:
For the purposes of this scenario, anytime a character wants to move and attack, they are considered to be running if they wish to move more than their penalized movement rate. Also, any character that initiates a charge or bull rush will be considered running. Double movement, and movement at the penalized rate (whether or not it is followed by an attack) is NOT considered running.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
INTERLUDE: KLEBORN WAKES UP...

The blast from the ghostly figure's spell renders you unconscious; you awaken, to find yourself in a cage which is comprised entirely of magical energy. The cage is located in the Northern section of a large, circular room, which must be a tower, from your reckoning. There is a staircase in the Southern section, and there is a window on the Eastern facing. You are wearing your normal clothes, but you have been stripped of your armor, weapons, and other equipment.

There are three, wide, long tables arranged oddly in the center of the room; these tables are covered in vials, bottles, books, tools, parchment, and miscellaneous pieces of junk. Your gear is on the Southern-most table, piled haphazardly in a heap. There are two, large areas of the room that look like they have been burned recently, perhaps by explosions caused by fire spells. In the Western section of the room, there are three, runic circles, labeled:

PA PR FU

Two of the three circles (PR, and FU) look badly scarred and burned, and some of the runes are blemished and smudged. However, the circle labeled PA looks to be perfect and un-touched.

00-The-Wizards-Lab-001.png

By one of the tables, an elderly man of Wolf Nomad descent, his hair woven into two braids, wearing a simple, brown, vest, a plain, white, cotton shirt, and a rune-covered sash that hangs on his left shoulder, stands scratching his chin, as if wondering which thing to pick up from the table. Without turning to look at you, he says:

Wolf-Nomad-Elder-001.png

"I don't know who you are, or how you got here, but your arrival was just the distraction I needed to overcome my treacherous apprentice and his little Elf girlfriend. I thank you for that. Look at the mess they've made of my lab. It's fortunate that the tables were warded against fire, or the whole room would have been blown sky high. Sorry about the cage, but until I discover whether you are friend or foe, I cannot risk letting you roam free. While you remain within the cage, the magic of it will prevent you from being hungry or thirsty, or needing to relieve yourself. It makes keeping prisoners a maintenance-free endeavor. Two of my teleportation circles have been ruined by the spells that were cast, and I will need to repair them. I will be gone for a time. When I return, I will attempt to use my magicks to determine who you are, and what your purpose here is. In the interim, feel free to twiddle your thumbs, whistle a tune, daydream, or anything else you can think of to entertain yourself. Adieu."

And with that, the elderly man walks downstairs, his footsteps growing more and more faint, the further down he goes. Finally, you do not hear him at all.

KLEBORN: What do you do?

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn looks around at this mysterious new place in which he finds himself.

He then begins to recollect the recent events. Kleborn's mind begins to wonder. He thinks to himself ~ "What happened, where am I? The last thing I remember before waking in this place I was with the other members of the Grey Cloak Council. We were in a village and heard screaming. THE GHOST! We saw an interesting ghostly figure, he did something to me. I remember nothing after that, accept as I was fading out I heard a laugh. Then here I am. In a different room. Who knows where I am."

Kleborn looks around the room one more time. Eyes keep going back and forth from his sword to the window. He thinks again ~"Perhaps I am still in the village with the rest of my council companions. I need to find a way out of here. While this old man does not seem like he is a foe, I do not like to be held prisoner. He did say something about teleporting, although judging by the burns in this room, not sure if I want him to teleport me or not."

Kleborn decides he must do something, he does not like to be held prisoner, and twiddling his thumbs and whistling does not sound like fun. That is something prisoners do, and he is no prisoner. All he knows is he must find a way to get back to his companions. He shouts "I am Kleborn the Wolf, and no cell; magic or otherwise will hold me in." Kleborn begins examining the ground he is in looking for anything he can use to escape. He also begins examining the cell itself, looking carefully to see if there are any weaknesses in the barriers he might exploit.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kleborn said:
Kleborn decides he must do something, he does not like to be held prisoner, and twiddling his thumbs and whistling does not sound like fun.

GM: :lol: :lol: I'm dying (with laughter!) over here! :lol: +500 XP for making the DM laugh! :)

Kleborn said:
Kleborn begins examining the ground he is in looking for anything he can use to escape. He also begins examining the cell itself, looking carefully to see if there are any weaknesses in the barriers he might exploit.

Kleborn, you notice that the runes on the floor which form the basis for your magical cage look slightly mis-formed. Perhaps the teleport circles were not the only things damaged by the fire spells during the battle?

Using nothing more than a little spit, and the sleeve of your shirt, you manage to smudge two of the runes enough to make them malfunction, opening a 30-inch gap in the cage, which is enough for you to squeeze out of. Acting quickly, you collect your gear, and walk over to the teleport circles. Indeed, the PR and the FU circles look entirely ruined, but the PA looks like it might be functional. Of course, there's no telling where the circle will send you...

KLEBORN: Do you step into the circle?

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn thinks to himself~"I have already teleported once, might as well see where this teleport circle takes me. Hopefully out of here."

And with that Kleborn steps in the PA circle.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kleborn's Arrival

When you step onto the PA circle, it springs to life, the runes around its outer edge glowing a bright, mystic hue of blue.

A voice, seemingly from nowhere, bellows: "Into the PAST... to help those in dire need!"

It suddenly becomes apparent to Kleborn what the various circles must have been: PAst, PResent, and FUture... And as the light shimmers around him, transporting him from this place to locales unknown, Kleborn can't help but wonder HOW LONG into the past that the circle is about to fling him...

GM:
Falling damage: 80 ft. [8d6] = 22 pts.

Suddenly, you appear in mid-air, above the opening of what appears to be a large water well! You are falling! You fall 80 feet, down a well shaft, slamming into the cavern floor below. You manage to slow your descent somewhat by grasping at the sides of the shaft as you plummet; you also notice, of all things, a rope which is hanging in the shaft. You try to grab it, but you are falling too fast; in the end, your efforts are insufficient to prevent a hard landing, which knocks the wind out of you!

GM:
Kleborn max hp: 49
Current hp: 49 - 22 = 27.

KLEBORN: You're pretty sure that nothing's broken, but you're in a lot of pain, as you struggle to regain your wind. You appear to be lying in something warm and gooey. What do you do?

ELSEWHERE:

The party suddenly hears a long, surprised scream, which stops suddenly, with a loud thud. As crazy as it may seem, you surmise that perhaps someone has just-now fallen down the well shaft?

EVERYONE: What do you do?

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn:
"ouch, bad idea, very bad idea. Oh well, where in the world did that circle take me?"

Kleborn stands up, and examines this place he landed.

Thallok:
Thallok looks back at the noise then at the group and says "Perhaps before we decide which tunnel to take we should look into who or what that scream came from."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
ELSEWHERE:

The party suddenly hears a long, surprised scream, which stops suddenly, with a loud thud. As crazy as it may seem, you surmise that perhaps someone has just-now fallen down the well shaft?

EVERYONE: What do you do?
Having provided light for the forward paths, Lathir has not yet decided upon a direction of travel. The oddity of the sound of a falling person draws his attention back to the well entrance. He returns there to see what he can find.

"What are the odds of that? It sounds like someone fell into the well just as I lit the forward path. I am going back to take a look."

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Seeing that other party members have the situation at the well opening in hand Sylvar summons a celestial giant bee. He commands the bee to fly down cave B and report back when it finds enemies

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Thallok said:
Thallok looks back at the noise then at the group and says "Perhaps before we decide which tunnel to take we should look into who or what that scream came from."

Lathir said:
"What are the odds of that? It sounds like someone fell into the well just as I lit the forward path. I am going back to take a look."

Thallok and Lathir both move back into the first cavern, to see a man dressed like a Northman, writhing around in pain on the cavern floor, in the rapidly cooling, liquid-metal slag. The cooling metal isn't burning him, but it is drying in clumps, and sticking to his clothes. The man looks VERY hurt. It seems that he has suffered a fall down the entire length of the shaft. It's a miracle he's alive at all.

Sylvar said:
Sylvar summons a celestial giant bee. He commands the bee to fly down cave B and report back when it finds enemies.

GM:
Celestial Giant Bee is from 2nd level list. Using Summon Monster III will summon 1d3 of them.
Sylvar summons 2 bees. One can be sent down each passageway if he so desires. (I'm assuming he does.)
The spell will last for 7 rounds (42 seconds)

A bee goes down each tunnel. The first bee (which goes down the right passage) does not return. The second bee returns after three rounds, and hovers near Sylvar, in a non-excited manner. Sylvar, you're not 100% positive, but you think it's trying to tell you that there's nothing down that way.

Sylvar, you feel the spell end, and you know that both bees are now gone. You surmise that the first bee didn't see anything, and kept going until the spell's duration was exhausted.

Remove ads