• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greyhawk Deities?

Dastari

First Post
Greetings all. I have been trying to find a good source of information on Greyhawk deities. Before you all mention it, I realize that there is a file posted on Wizards of the Coast of all the Greyhawk deities. The problem with it is that it only gives descriptions for about 5% of them. I'm not interested as much in the game mechanics of it. I'm sure that I'll never even use a large proportion of them. I just want to know the history, dogma, and inter-relationships between the various deities.

The reason that I'm using Greyhawk is because I'm trying to be consistent with the PhB but I'm finding that this is more difficult because there seems to be a LOT more posted on the internet about Forgotten Realms. The other problem is that some gods exist in both Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms but their histories are different. I can usually only tell if a write-up is about the FR version of a god as opposed to the Greyhawk if its entry refers to gods that only exist in FR.

Anyway, an example of my problem is that I was trying to look up information on Grankhul, a Bugbear deity. Well in Greyhawk apparently there are only two Bugbear deities: Grankhul and Hruggek. Yet, the few websites that I can find that mention Grankhul either just have his stats or refer to his brother, Skiggaret. Skiggaret doesn't appear on the list of Greyhawk deities so I'm guessing that means that he's only in FR. So where is the backstory for Grankhul in Greyhawk? This isn't the first time that this has happened.

For those of you who are curious on where I've been looking, I've been using a great deal of Wikipedia and Planewalker but for most deities these only have about 4 sentences or less. I've also been using http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/greyhawk/gods/ which is a great resource but is lacking a lot of gods. If I can't find information in any of these sources I google the name and just try and sift through it all.

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated either in the specific case that I brought up or a source of specific information.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads