• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Greyhawk] Rary

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Okay, just a quick question that came up while rereading the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer: was it ever explained WHY Rary tuned traitor to the Circle of Eight?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Okay, just a quick question that came up while rereading the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer: was it ever explained WHY Rary tuned traitor to the Circle of Eight?

It's explained in the WGR3 Accessory Rary the Traitor. Essentially, Rary grew frustrated with the Circle of Eight's "contentious ways". He began to study evil groups and eventually he began to admire those groups during the Greyhawk Wars. Finally, he turned evil.

There's a little more, but that's it in a nutshell....

I always suspected the long years of snide, dismissive comments from Mordenkainen, always belittling Rary's research, plus all those years of mercury fumes and lead cauldrons...

He was bound to snap any day...;)

Karlson_the_red

First Post
In the Exp to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, it came up that the Rary who betrayed the circle was not the true Rary, but one from another parallel universe. The writers brought this in to try to explain away the seeming overnight character changes, and Gygax used the same sort of thing when dealing with Tasha and Iggvilv (Which are supposedly the same character)

The reason I like Greyhawk originally was, so much of it was not written down. A Dm could do things as he wanted within the setting... So, I guess it is up him/her to decide if you are going to use that bit of information...

Karlson

jensun

First Post
In the Exp to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, it came up that the Rary who betrayed the circle was not the true Rary, but one from another parallel universe. The writers brought this in to try to explain away the seeming overnight character changes, and Gygax used the same sort of thing when dealing with Tasha and Iggvilv (Which are supposedly the same character)
Thats one of the stupidest things I have heard in quite some time.

As I recall in Rary the Traitor it was fairly clear that the change was a gradual thing which occurred over many years.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia

Yeah, and Robilar was changed back too. I see where they were coming from, but they might as well have just said that Rary the Traitor never happened. *shrugs*

Remove ads