• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greyhawk: The Divinity Maneuver (A Menagerie of Perspectives, 8/9)

ForceUser

Explorer
Travis shifted his weight uncomfortably and looked down at the table.

“Yes, that’s him.”

The priest nodded and draped the sheet back over the body. He was a short man with wispy strands of iron-gray hair sticking out over his ears. Candlelight reflected on his bald pate. He wore rust-red robes over a black cotton knee-length shirt, and around his neck lay a wooden mask painted white, which bore an expression of serenity. Travis idly wondered if the face was meant to be male or female. Male, he decided. He was pretty sure Rao was male.

Not that it mattered, of course. The gods could be whatever they wanted. They probably transcended something as trivial as gender, if you really wanted to get down to it. Transgender gods. Hmmm. Travis imagined Hextor in a corset and had to stifle a giggle. It came out as a snort.

The priest looked at him as if he were trying to decide if Travis was truly as upset as he’d led the acolytes to believe. After all, he had come in from the street early that morning claiming to be a close friend of the dead man.

Understanding the cleric’s scrutiny for what it was, Travis decided he’d better put a little effort into the act. On cue, his eyes filled with unshed tears. He hunched over and wrapped his arms tightly about his chest. As a finishing touch, he sniffled, as if to ward off unwanted emotion.

The priest relaxed and smiled understandingly. That’s better, thought Travis. “Unfortunately, Pelor’s church does not extend this far into the north. If you wish, however, we can bury this man as is fitting a servant of the gods. There is a representative of that faith, a Reverend Falco, who has offered to perform this man’s last rites in accordance with the traditions of that order. If you wish.” The cleric, radiating compassion, waited patiently.

Travis appeared to struggle with ordering his thoughts, then appeared to nod reluctantly. “Okay,” he said, “Rakahn would want that.” In truth, he couldn’t care less what became of Rakahn’s remains. The archer-priest had been stubborn and brash, and he’d been shined for it.

Moderation. That was the key to survival. Find a middle ground and stick to it. Rakahn hadn’t understood that and, well, there you go. There’s always a bigger fish.

Travis choked out a thank-you and turned to leave. “Wait!” exclaimed the priest, “your friend’s possessions. Do you want them?” Inwardly grinning, he turned around slowly, as if he had not considered what to do with his companion’s worldly things. “Well,” he began hesitantly, “I hadn’t really considered that.” He appeared to consider it. In truth, Rakahn’s money was already spent. It’s not like he needed it where he was. Wherever that was.

“Why don’t you keep his things, oh, except for the bow. It’s magic. I did speak to Reverend Falco earlier; he suggested that it could be donated to the Church of Heironeous. You know, for the war effort.” Travis had wanted to sell it, but couldn’t think of a good way to convince the others to do so. They were all mourning the fool. Oh well.

The priest nodded approvingly. “Of course, that can be done, if you wish it.”

“I do.”

“Very well. Will the departed’s coin also be donated?” The question appeared innocuous enough, but Travis saw a gleam in the man’s eye. Ah ha. Yes. He’s human after all.

Travis lied smoothly. “I’m sorry, no. Rakahn made me swear that if ever he were to fall, his money would be returned to his brothers’ pig farm in Keoland.” He appeared regretful.

The priest nodded, “Of course,” and placed a small, heavy bag in Travis’s hands. He chuckled to himself at the sigh hidden in the cleric’s words. Pig farm. As if. Rakahn had been Flan. They were hunters.

Thanking the clergyman again, Travis left the ruddy cell, following an acolyte back down to the street. The dazzling sun of Furyondy was particularly obnoxious that day. He pulled his hood down low and stepped out into the flow of carts and people along the busy temple lane.

As he wove his way back out of the crowded temple district of Chendl, he regarded his performance. Psychically, he drawled, ”Pretty good for off the cuff, eh?”

”No,” came the sullen reply from his psicrystal, which sat in his coat pocket. Since it was a liar, he knew the opposite to be true.

”The sky is a brilliant shade of blue today.”

”The sky is gray.”

”That harlot is lovely.”

”She’s a hag.”

”I am concerned by my methods sometimes.”

”You are a wonderful person.”

”True,” he replied. Content, he patted his pocket and carried on about his day.

The following day Travis joined his companions to witness Reverend Falco perform Rakahn’s funeral ceremony. It occurred precisely at noon in a sunny atrium in the heart of Rao’s temple. Attending, in addition to the company, were several priests and acolytes of the Serene God, and even a paladin of Heironeous, presumably as a gesture of respect for the donation of the dead man’s magic bow. Never let it be said that the Heironeans did not observe protocol. The service was short and meaningful and left Travis with a vague sense of hope, which annoyed him. He hated being preached at.

After the body was sanctified it was cremated, and the observers retired to an inner chamber laden with refreshments while the priest of the sun god collected the remains. The conversation was subdued; those present who knew Rakahn had not known him well, and the truth was that nobody knew where his family lived or how to contact them. That sort of put a damper on things. After a respectful amount of time the knight of Heironeous courteously excused himself. Most of the priests did as well, claiming duties they must attend to. A couple of the acolytes stayed, more for the food than anything else.

As usual it was Dera the sorceress, ever prim and proper, who asked him, “So, Travis, did you donate Rakahn’s things to the church?”

Irritated but refusing to show it, he smiled and said, “Yes. That knight came to say thanks for the bow.”

“I see.”

“Great!” Ignoring her, he turned to Garlok, the dwarf, and struck up a conversation about Rakahn’s fighting prowess. Garlok regaled him with the story of Rakahn’s part in Dera’s rescue some months ago from slavers, as if Travis hadn’t been there. No, wait. He had been Valentine back then. Or was it Gerome? Whatever.

The new guy, Erak something-or-other, scratched his mithril breastplate and laughed nervously at whatever prim thing Dera had just said. He had insisted on wearing it to the funeral. In fact, he wore it everywhere. Even to bed. Travis appreciated the man’s taste in armor but his personal habits were, well, strange at best. He didn’t sleep well and kept jumping at shadows. There was something off about Erak, but Travis was no judge of people; he spent too much time in character to analyze others. At least the man was good with a blade.

Mordecai, the druid from the Vesve, stood apart from the others and appeared deep in thought. No doubt wondering how he’d ended up in Chendl and taking work with a merchant lord who was decidedly working toward the cause of Good (with a capital “G.”) That probably went against some of his secret druid vows of noninterference. To his credit, though, Mordecai knew when to act and when to abstain. He was patient and cautious, and carefully weighed each situation before deciding where he stood. Travis admired that. Too bad he talked to trees.

Hearing footsteps coming from down the hall, Travis turned to notice that Dera had allowed her familiar, an owl named Tiki, to get into the punch. He was about to say something when Reverend Falco walked into the room carrying a small clay urn. Conversation stopped as everyone looked at the priest.

He smiled in a friendly sort of way and said, “Whom should I give this to?” Everyone looked at each other. Nobody said anything. Garlok decided that this would be a good time to dig for gold in the back of his trousers.

“Ah,” said the priest.

“Well…” someone began.

He held up a hand. “It’s okay, I’ve adventured before. You didn’t know him very well.”

“Not really,” said Mordecai.

“He was a brave warrior!” exclaimed Garlok, apparently satisfied with his pants. He stretched theatrically so he could sniff his hand without being obvious.

“I could ask Cardinal Tilmec if we could inter him here, in the catacombs.”

Dera wrinkled her nose in distaste. Travis said, “Sure, that sounds good.” The reverend nodded and turned to leave.

“Um, reverend?” Dera ventured. Seemingly without guile, she fluttered her eyelids and adopted a beseeching poise. She was a comely young woman, with radiant golden tresses that shimmered in waves down her back. To Travis’s knowledge, despite the fact that she had been betrothed three or four times, she was still a maiden. Right now she affected that popular maiden persona, the Damsel in Distress. Subtle, he thought wryly.

Reverend Falco met her eyes, lingered a bit too long, reddened, and said, “Call me Jon. What can I do for you?”

“Well, Jon, we were wondering…” she began. She wrung her hands together, glanced at the others, then back to the priest. “We have need for one who can heal. Our employer wishes us to travel to some far-off place for him. He says it’s necessary, but very dangerous. Do you suppose…perhaps you could come with us?” She finished brightly, upbeat like a schoolgirl, and Travis groaned to himself at the naivete.

“Well,” said the priest, “I don’t know. There’s the matter of Rakahn’s killers, and truthfully, I am on a quest of my own.”

“I see,” Dera replied, sounding crestfallen. She sighed loudly, and parts of her jiggled exquisitely when she did so. She wore white and beige silks, which clung in the right places about her lovely form.

The reverend reddened further and addressed the wall behind her head. “There’s no harm in speaking to your employer, I suppose. Perhaps it would be worth my while.”

Travis raised an eyebrow. Some men can’t say no to a pretty face, he decided.

They gave him the merchant’s name and address in the city and the priest agreed to meet them for dinner that evening.

”That went better than I expected,” Travis mused.

”He’ll betray you all,” declared the psicrystal.

Travis grinned and patted his pocket.

Last edited:

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Ah Travis...he makes me want to cry at times. ForceUser (I was going to shorten that to FU but that just doesn't come out as intended), thanks for shouldering this labor. As always, your writing is top-notch.

Manatee

First Post
A very good start. I feel sorry for poor Rakahn, dying among comparative strangers. On the other hand, at least his troubles are over; maybe I should be feeling sorry for Falco, instead.

ForceUser

Explorer
-Mordecai-

The estate of Parv Delorn sat atop a low hill amid the houses of old money families and hereditary nobility. Although Lord Delorn’s fortune was new, his home was not; ancient iron gates opened to a cobbled drive with stones worn by the passage of a thousand highborn carriages. The grounds were expertly manicured and lush, and even now a troupe of gardeners discreetly worked their green art. Mordecai was not impressed. To bend the earth to your will to raise crops to feed your family, or to master sheep to shear wool to clothe you body – these were worthy tasks. To sculpt the landscape to suit your aesthetic desires, however, was a shallow pursuit invented by the wealthy so they could express their wealth to their neighbors. It reminded him again that by entering the Circle of the Vesve he had made the only sane choice in a world of madmen and misdirected fools.

The thought didn’t comfort him, however. There were too many madmen and misdirected fools running things. He had yet to decide which category Lord Delorn belonged to. Mordecai had listened intently while the merchant explained his plan to the party the day before. He had kept his own counsel regarding the idea; the others were too wrapped up in phrases like noble quest and wilderness expedition and, ah yes, profitable venture to be clear-headed enough to think things through. They were still getting over the “honor” of being chosen for the task. Mordecai began to wonder how many other fools had marched gallantly to their deaths with visions of saving Oerth, but that train of thought led to morbidity, and there were enough things wrong with the world without inventing more to brood over.

Mordecai was a tall, reed-thin man with leathery skin and a naturally dark complexion. He wore his earth-toned druid’s vestments proudly, which while in civilization often caused confusion in passerby because nobody could tell at a glance what religion he was supposed to represent. Mordecai was mostly oblivious to this scrutiny, however, and if anyone asked he’d give him a puzzled look and reply “Beory” as if it should have been obvious, which of course then led to him being confused with a cleric of that faith. If it bothered him, he never let it show.

What did bother him were the unknowns. What awaited them beneath the Clatspurs? What was this living spell supposed to do? Were they truly capable of finding the Oerthnode? Could he trust Lord Delorn and his wizard, Aelic? There were too many unanswered questions. He suspected that if he knew the answers he wouldn’t like them.

Mordecai sighed as he trudged up the walk to the manor house. He was no crusader, but the hierarchy of nature was badly off. A chaotic super-being beget of an extraplanar sire was systematically corrupting the natural order with no regard – no, make that a brazen disregard – for the consequences. Mordecai was a realist; the problem was far too large at this point for any one group to solve, and yet…

And yet.

The Circle thought in terms of containment and retribution. Mordecai, through Lord Delorn, saw a greater possibility. As long as he is not a madman or a fool, he thought darkly. We shall see.

Dinner was a grand affair. The meal began with a course of garlic-stuffed brussel sprouts sautéed in a light walnut crème sauce, and buttered black bread. Following that came baked duck with apple and celery stuffing, eggnog soup, truffles-with-goat-cheese, and finally the main course, a lavish arrangement involving a spit-roasted lamb basted with a dark orange-and-poppyseed cream that made the mutton simultaneously tangy, musky, and light. Several vintages of quality wines were offered as well as dwarven ale for the lone interested party, who swilled enough for four guests but held his liquor like a veteran. Mordecai wondered in passing if Garlok felt any remorse for taking advantage of Parv’s hospitality so vociferously. He suspected the dwarf had been tossed from his fair share of taverns. At least he wasn’t an angry drunk.

Ironically, most of the party ate little. Dera nibbled at her food like a lady, Erak begged off, complaining of a sore stomach, Travis had a full bowl of soup but little else, Garlok drank far more than he ate, and Mordecai, feeling guilty for partaking of such an unnecessarily overdone meal, consumed no more than a bite or two of each course. The good reverend seemed to have no such problems with the dinner and thus ate with appreciation, while the one-armed wizard Aelic quietly enjoyed the lamb as Lord Delorn rattled on about the wars, oblivious to his guests’ appetites. For some reason, that bothered Mordecai more than the lavishness of the meal itself.

“Of course, with the incursion into the northern reaches of this country, little could be done to aid the Shieldlanders. It was all King Belvor could do to keep the Old One’s forces at bay here. Eventually we drove him out, but the border has been, shall we say, mutable ever since.” Aelic nodded as Lord Delorn finished up. He spoke with the confidence of one who had discussed the same subject hundreds of times.

Reverend Falco considered Parv’s words for a moment then said, “But what of Veluna, my lord? Surely the Canon’s forces could have bolstered the Shieldlanders.” Aelic was already shaking his head.

The merchant gulped down a drink and explained. “That would have been ideal, of course, but it wasn’t until the Old One moved into Furyondy that we realized the fullness of his power and depravity. Through his clerics he had summoned untold numbers of fiends with which he commanded his armies. When they swarmed over Greatwall it was said one could hear the death throes of the citizens as far away as Lansfurd.”

Dera shuddered.

“By the time word arrived here, most of the Shield Lands had already fallen. Furyondy was still largely intact. The Canon’s army was small, so he made a decision.” Silence fell upon the table, and the lord set down his empty glass. A servant whisked it away.

Minutes passed. Finally the priest said, “So. Tell me why I’m here.”

Instead Parv asked, “What have you found out about Rakahn’s murderers?”

The reverend looked surprised but replied, “They were agents of the Scarlet Sign. I know that much.”

Parv nodded. “Were they looking for something?”

The cleric blew out a frustrated breath. “I don’t know. Maybe. Rakahn didn’t seem to be the secretive sort; perhaps he stumbled across something he wasn’t supposed to see. Or maybe they just killed him for who he was; Pelor’s followers have long opposed the Brotherhood. I’ve informed the churches of Rao and Heironeous of everything I saw. Perhaps they will make some use of it.”

Softly, the lord asked, “Did you witness it?”

The priest shook his head. “No. I found him after.”

Parv nodded again. Mordecai swallowed uncomfortably. He had last seen his companion alive three mornings past. Like Mordecai, Rakahn had been an early riser. A man of few words, he had nodded solemnly as he walked out to the yard to practice his archery. He had been a trustworthy person, and honorable. Mordecai had liked him. Across the table, Dera dabbed at her eyes with the corner of a napkin. Garlok clumsily patted her hand and said, “There, there, lass. There, there.”

“Travis,” of course, was inscrutable. Mordecai sighed and, elbows on the table, ran his hands through his tangled black mane. When he looked up, Parv was gazing at the reverend.

“What would you say,” he began slowly, “If I told you that a way had been discovered to destroy the Old One forever?”

The cleric at once appeared taken aback. Good, thought Mordecai, it’s not just me.

Lord Delorn studied him intently. “I would say,” replied the reverend cautiously, “that I have heard that tale before.”

Parv nodded, “Yes. What if it were not legend, but fact?”

“I would say that it would be a miracle.”

Parv smiled at that. “Of course. Miracles are your profession, are they not? Perhaps such a miracle exists.”

Reverend Falco digested that. After a moment, he asked, “What does the King say of this?”

“He will not take my counsel.”

“And the great houses?”

“They believe it wrong.”

“Hmmm.”

Parv waited. At length the priest spoke, “You believe this?”

“Yes.”

“You are commited to this?”

“Yes.”

“Why do you want to destroy Iuz?”

At that, Aelic hissed and pointed a finger at the reverend accusingly. “Not in this house!”

Falco nodded, “Forgive me. But why?”

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“Please.”

Parv pushed back his chair and stood. “His domain has been a blight on our northern border all my life, and the lives of my father, and his father, and his father’s father. He has wreaked havoc upon us. His shadow grows always stronger, spreading across the northern Flanaess like a cancer. He has murdered thousands of my countrymen. He has brought suffering to hundreds of thousands more. An age of darkness is upon us such as has never before been seen in all of history, and he is the cause.”

Falco studied him, “Yes. But why?”

The lord closed his eyes and shuddered. He opened them, looked at the cleric and whispered, “Because I hate him.”

The priest held his gaze. Minutes passed as Mordecai watched. Finally, Falco nodded as if waking from a reverie. “How do you intend to accomplish this?”

At this, the wizard spoke. “Oerth is old, and harbors power from before the creation of time. There are places and things left over – echoes of creation, if you will – that yet possess control over certain…primeval forces.” Aelic rubbed the stump of his right arm, which ended just beyond the joint of his shoulder. “I lost this in the war, using the Art to defend my country. Others have lost more. I did not regret my sacrifice, but all the same I wondered if there was a different way. I studied for years and discovered something significant: even though the Enemy is both cambion and god, he is as bound to this world as any of us. He was birthed of the same elements of creation that forged us all, and he can be unmade by them.”

Lord Delorn began to pace as Aelic continued. “There is a place in the northern reaches of the Clatspur Mountains that was once a citadel of dwarves. Below it, deep underground, is a locus of elemental earthen power. Some adventurers I once knew discovered it and relayed to me the tale. They told me that the stone there was as no stone they had ever seen. They told me that it formed a wall, and suspected that something lay beyond it. They discovered no more than that. This locality intrigued me and helped form the basis of a theory, one which I have since proven.” The wizard paused to take a sip of wine before continuing. Behind him, Parv chewed on a fingernail and cast nervous looks at the cleric. Reverend Falco, for his part, gave the wizard his full attention. Mordecai had heard all this already, so he watched the cleric for his reactions instead.

“There exists in the world four elemental artifacts of great significance left over from the age before ages; one, of course, for each domain. It is my belief that the Heart of Oerth lies beyond this divine barrier below the Clatspurs. It is my belief that he who possesses these four elemental powers can use them to annihilate the Old One. What I want from you,” at that, he gestured at all of the adventurers, “is to enter this Oerthnode and recover the Heart. With it, I will be able to locate the other artifacts.”

“How do you expect us to move past this barrier of stone?”

“We have a key,” he gestured at Dera, who blushed. Falco looked at her, then back at the wizard questioningly. “I have placed within this young woman a thing of special significance called a living spell. It is not quite sentient, but alive in its own way; it seeks to return whence it came, which is beyond the barrier. When Dera approaches the Oerthnode, the spell will open it.”

“Hmmm,” said Falco.

“If it helps to think of it as such, you could say that Dera is a scroll upon which the living spell is recorded.”

“I see,” said Falco, and then he lapsed into silence. Mordecai sympathized. He hadn’t known the purpose of the living spell until that moment either.

A few minutes trickled by. Parv said, “Well?”

“I’ll have to think about it.” Reverend Falco appeared distracted as his eyes darted from place to place. He appeared to be thinking rapidly.

Deflated, Parv offered, “I understand. Take some time to consider it. But let me know soon. The expedition leaves in two days.”

The priest stood up and nodded absently, and a servant materialized with his coat. As he shrugged into it, Dera asked, “Didn’t you say you were on a quest of your own, Reverend? I mean, Jon?”

“What? Oh…yes. That’s what I’m considering. My quest is, hmm, open-ended, for lack of a better word. And this could be it.”

“Huh?” she said, perplexed. Mordecai shared her confusion. Perhaps he misspoke; he had a lot on his mind just now.

Falco shook his head. “I’ll give you my decision on the morrow, my lord. Thank you for dinner.”

Parv inclined his head. After the priest concluded his courtesies he departed.

“So,” burped Garlok, “Anyone want to go drinking?”

Last edited:

Vymair

First Post
Mordecai here.

One of my favorite Travis/Jerome/Barus moments was right after poor Rakahn died. We were trying to find out what happened to him and came across a bum in the alley who told us he had seen red-robed blond men near the body when he died.

Of course, upon telling us this, he collapsed into tremors and immediately died. Obviously, we got out of there very quickly. Fearing the worst, we asked Travis to see if he could find more out about the Scarlet Brotherhood activity in the area. We had already come to rely on Travis' ability to ferret out information in a city environment and expected some news upon his return.

So , Travis headed out into Chendl.

The DM looked at him and asked "So you go around and ask questions about the Brotherhood's presence here?"

To which his player replied "Of course not. I just wander around the city for a few hours, then go back to the party and tell them I couldn't find any clues about their presence here."

We all broke up laughing at this point...

ForceUser

Explorer
-Dera-

The next morning Dera awoke earlier than usual. After availing herself of the privy she went back to her room and settled cross-legged on the soft feather bed provided for her by Lord Delorn. Shades drawn and eyes closed, she began to methodically stroke her long locks with an ivory-handled brush. The rhythmic motion soon fell into the background, and in her mind’s eye rainbow visions danced. From a wellspring deep within her she felt the power slowly rise and wrap around her, an old friend, a persistent lover. Beside her on the bed Tiki cooed and ruffled his feathers. He became it with her: a surge of knotted muscles, wind whipping beneath leathery wings, and far below, tiny people dashing for cover amidst a rolling green landscape. She craned her head toward the sun and cried out in delight; from somewhere below wafted terrified screams, but she ignored them. All that mattered was the sun baking her scales, the wind buoying her powerful form, and the transcendent thrill of flight.

Fleeting images. Tingling with power, Dera awoke from her reverie and sighed. The brush lay in her lap. Muscular orange light now forced its way into her room, a fiery window-shaped corona masked by the thick curtains. She stood, wrapped her robe about her, walked to the window and threw back the drapes. Dawn sauntered through the floor-length panes triumphantly. Below her stretched the lord’s garden, and beyond that squatted a low stone wall green with ivy that marked the boundary of the estate. Light-blinded, she squinted and turned her head away. Tiki squawked in irritation and dove beneath the cotton sheets.

“Oh hush, you,” she said.

“You could have warned me,” came the mental response, reproachfully.

“I’ve let the light in every morning since we arrived,” she replied aloud. She washed her face and hands in the fresh bowl of water a servant must have provided while she’d been meditating, then walked to the armoire to begin dressing. She chose white cotton trousers, baggy in the southern style, a voluminous silk shirt the color of the open sky, and a sleeveless cotton floor-length coat, also white. Her hair, shiny from brushing, framed her face in luxurious waves of molten gold; she tied it back with a discreet black cord. As a finishing touch she selected a long silver chain with a crystal pendant that dangled artfully between her breasts.

She studied herself for a moment in the floor-length mirror, decided she looked presentable, then left the room in search of breakfast. In the hall she passed a serving man, to whom she smiled pleasantly. He gaped at her, blushed, and almost dropped the linen he’d been carrying. Dera continued on past and down the grand staircase, where she fell under the sour gaze of the head maid, Matilda, who glared at her from below where she was dusting a small table. Pretending not to notice, Dera bade her good morning and swept by, conscious of the woman’s grudging response. In the dining room she met the lord’s castellan, Rodger.

“Good morning, Rodger,” she said brightly. He had been arranging the morning’s selection of fruits on the long oak table. When she spoke he looked up in surprise, then smiled faintly and bowed from the neck, “Lady Alvett. I trust you slept well?”

“I slept wonderfully, thank you.” Dera liked Rodger. He was tall and thin, in his middle years, with graying hair retreating from his forehead. His manners were impeccable, as was his sense of discretion, and he handled the party’s oddities with grace and charm. Dera wished she had a grandfather like him.

They spoke of pleasantries as she ate slices of pear and apple and washed them down with milk. As she was telling him of her home in the City of Greyhawk, Erak and “Travis” walked in – she had liked the name Valentine better, why couldn’t he have kept it? – speaking rapidly about something in low whispers. When they spied Dera and Rodger in the hall their conversation abruptly ceased, and Erak had the look of a thief caught with the family jewels. Travis, of course, was unreadable, and that annoyed her. What kind of person opened and closed their emotions like a fortress gate? For a moment he stared at them impassively, eyelids heavy like a lizard’s, and then his plain face lit in a convincing display of good humor and he smiled and said “good morning” like any normal person would. A shiver ran up her spine, but she suppressed it and returned the smile. It felt as genuine as his.

Erak edged his way down the long table and sat the far end, alone. Travis joined Dera and Rodger and engaged the older man in a discussion of Furyondy’s financial system. Dera quickly got bored, so she picked up her plate and joined Erak, who seemed to retreat into his breastplate like a turtle when she approached.

“Lady Dara,” he misspoke as he half-stood in a poor imitation of courtly manners. She grimaced at the way his mithril carapace scraped against the expensive table as he sat back down.

“It’s Dera, Erak,” she reminded him gently, and not for the first time. He nodded vigorously as if to say “right, of course.” She knew that he wasn’t much older than she was, but lines of worry creased his brow like a man ten years his elder, and streaks of gray shot through his rich auburn hair. Beneath his bloodshot eyes lurked dark circles, and his whole demeanor spoke of weariness and resignation. Dera felt sorry for him.

“Have you been sleeping well?” she asked, knowing that he hadn’t.

He shook his head distractedly and pushed around the fried potatoes and sausage on his plate. He seemed embarrassed.

“Erak.”

He glanced up askance, as though unable to look at her directly.

“If there’s something wrong, you can tell me about it. I’ll listen.” She meant it. She didn’t like it when the people around her were unhappy.

He appeared to struggle with something then, and closed his eyes as though in fierce concentration. She noticed that he was sweating. Finally he looked at her and shrugged, a nervous gesture. "I…well…”

“Yes?” she prompted.

He swallowed and stood abruptly. “Thanks anyway. There’s nothing you can do.”

“It might help if you talked to someone,” she tried.

“Thanks anyway,” he said again, and left.

As she watched Erak hurry out of the hall, she saw Travis regarding her. She turned away, unwilling to meet his eyes.

--

Reverend Falco didn’t return until the morning of the expedition’s departure. Dera had despaired of his acceptance of the mission, and she could tell that the rest of her companions were tense. They had found no other healer willing to go, and Mordecai had warned them that he was no cleric. Parv seemed nervous as well, and he spent the morning talking with the druid, Rodger and Aelic about various aspects of the trip.

When the priest arrived Dera let out a breath, releasing tension she hadn’t been aware she’d carried. Jon wore a fine chainmail hauberk over homespun traveling clothes, and upon his belt lay a worn flanged mace. He carried a plain walking stick in one hand and reins in the other, and wore a weather-beaten wide-brimmed straw hat. Behind him trudged a pony laden with provisions. Around his neck rested a simple impression of the sun god, Pelor, blocky and carved out of wood. The holy symbol was the size of a plate.

The priest was a handsome man with even features and a square jaw. He was tall and fit, though he didn’t have Mordecai’s spindly height and was not as well muscled as Erak. Sandy blond hair poked out from under the hat, and he looked upon the world with clear blue eyes framed in crow’s feet. He smiled at the assembled adventurers and their patron, and raised a hand in greeting as he came slowly up the drive. Garlok returned the gesture with a cry of “A ha!” that scattered pigeons.

Parv strode down to meet him, followed by his wizard and castellan. The four of them spoke at length, Falco leaning on his stick and nodding from time to time, and at other times glancing toward the morning sun. Dera wasn’t really curious what the conversation was about. She knew the cleric was coming with them, and that’s all that mattered to her. He seemed like a nice person, and she was looking forward to having someone to talk to. Her other companions were poor conversationalists to a man. Mordecai was interesting enough, but oblique and disinclined to chat. All Garlok spoke of was beer and war, Erak avoided her, and she didn’t want to talk to Travis unless she had to. There was always Tiki, of course, but Tiki had the brain of a bird.

”Hey!” came the indignant thought in her head.

“Sshhh,” she whispered.

Their conversation concluded, the four men walked up the path to the circular end near the manor. Rodger spoke to a servant, who hastened toward the stables, and Aelic went back in the house. A few minutes later a groom emerged with a brown mare already saddled. He gave the horse to Falco and withdrew.

“I’m so glad you’re coming!” Dera exclaimed to the priest, bouncing on her heels. He blushed and spoke to the horse behind her, “I believe my path lies with you. Er, all of you, I mean. Not you personally. Not that there’s…I mean, I’m sure you’re a lovely woman.” Falco turned quickly, apparently embarrassed, and began to adjust his horse’s saddle. Dera smiled and allowed Parv to help her onto her own steed. This was going to be fun.

Tiki projected the mental equivalent of a sigh. “This is why you have no mate.”

“Oh, stop it,” she rebuked.

“What?” said Falco.

She smiled sweetly, “Nothing.”

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads