• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greyhawk?

kerouac

Villager
I started playing D&D around '93, so right when Forgotten Realms was considered the basic setting... I went Dragonlance. ;) I'd go to Games People Play (remember them?) once a week and I seem to remember them having a Greyhawk boxed set that I looked at constantly, but for my little ten year old allowance it was too steep to buy.

I would be really interested in a 5e Greyhawk setting to try.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I think that we should consider this to be an official announcement that WotC are working on a Greyhawk sourcebook :D

Doubtful. That's not how D&D5 is going to work. Greyhawk adventures, yes. Greyhawk sourcebook? Download it from dndclassics.com.

The other cool thing which the Gazetteer could be used for would be to determine locations where adventures in the Tyranny of Dragons arc could be set. And set out alternative factions and backgrounds which are not Realms-specific.
That, I think, would be far better right now than an updated Campaign setting.

Agreed, but also unlikely because teasing a website article on Twitter just feels like a waste of effort and fan patience.

I also note that he has TWO copies of the Chicago Manual of Style.

Which is ridiculous, because APA is clearly superior.

AP Stylebook is where it's at.

Psh. Dorks.

*returns to authoring his client's proprietary style guide*

so, probably the princes of apocalypse adveture will be set in greyhawk. AWESOME!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but considering that the Tyranny of Dragons factions are confirmed in the new adventure path that seems unlikely, too.

Agamon

Adventurer
I notice he doesn't have a copy of the Seattle Manual of Style, considering the location of the pic. Mind you, that has nothing to do with writing; the sub-title is "Beanies, Beards, and Black-rims." I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard of it.

Nellisir

Hero
As someone who started gaming during 2E, well after Greyhawk heyday, I'd appreciate if a kind soul were to tell why it is such a well-regarded setting. I know the basics, sure, I've read about it online, but I've never really understood what makes the setting tick, what is it that engenders such fan loyalty for what is ultimately a fairly generic sword and sorcery setting? This question isn't meant to be taken confrontationally, but as a sincere query on my part.

Much of it was painted in very broad strokes, so you could, and can, insert your own details. Even more than Forgotten Realms, I think, Greyhawk can work as the proto-typical D&D/kitchen sink setting. I've heard it called "bland" before, but I think it's a matter of taste and finding what you're looking for. I'm not really sure what's in Nerath that isn't also in Greyhawk; one can make an argument perhaps for tieflings and warforged, but I think it's a bit cynical to fault Greyhawk for not including player races or classes that weren't invented at the time of its last gazetteer. (Suel tieflings are obvious, but I really like the idea of Baklunish warforged).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads