• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grid Board?

SpydersWebbing

First Post
Quick question:

I would like to buy a dry erase board with a grid on it. I made one, but I found out that when Sharpie means permanent they mean permanent on paper, not dry erase boards. I had seen a grid board for about forty bucks before, but now I can't remember the site name.

Little help please? It'd be much appreciated!

shieldheart

First Post
SpydersWebbing said:
Quick question:

I would like to buy a dry erase board with a grid on it. I made one, but I found out that when Sharpie means permanent they mean permanent on paper, not dry erase boards. I had seen a grid board for about forty bucks before, but now I can't remember the site name.

Little help please? It'd be much appreciated!

I did the same painstakingly drawing lines in with a .6 mm sharpie. After the first session, 30% of the lines were gone. What I did was I engraved the grids using a ballpoint pen and now it works quite well.

Filcher

First Post
This seems like a lot of work. Why not one of the vinyl mats? Or maybe just the big office store 1" square flip chart sheets under plastic or glass?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Have you tried a school supply store?

The sorts of grids they have are smaller, but they're relatively cheap. You might have to get it laminated, but the place I went to did that relatively cheaply, as well.

I did this, and been using the same grid for almost a year now; it stains a little bit, from dry-erase markers, but nothing too bad yet (and that may just be my poor cleaning techniques).

Plissken

Explorer
You should check out Steel Sqwire ( or Steel Squire, I forget which). They have a foldable grid map that can use all types of markers. Permanent, dry-erase, and wet-erase.

Hawke

Explorer
Might I suggest using the 1 inch grid easel paper available at Office Depot? They work great... you draw the maps on them, you can color them and everything. You can even connect large dungeon areas if you have a large enough table. In addition, you can make up several maps ahead of time and just pull them out when needed. They're reusable. A single set of colored pencils w/ a marker will get you a long way. A set of 50 ran me about $20 after tax... considering I can fit a few dungeon rooms on a single sheet it'll take me a good while to get through it.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Go to a party supply store and get one or two of the cheap vinyl table-cloths with open checkerboard grids, most are close enough to a 1" grid not to matter. They're cheap, they wash off most markers, and oh yeah they're cheap.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
Hawke said:
Might I suggest using the 1 inch grid easel paper available at Office Depot? They work great... you draw the maps on them, you can color them and everything. You can even connect large dungeon areas if you have a large enough table. In addition, you can make up several maps ahead of time and just pull them out when needed. They're reusable. A single set of colored pencils w/ a marker will get you a long way. A set of 50 ran me about $20 after tax... considering I can fit a few dungeon rooms on a single sheet it'll take me a good while to get through it.

Hhhhm... I like that idea. Certainly beat Dungeon Tiles.

Thanks!

Remove ads