[Grim Tales] Creating new races with Grim Tales...

Flynn

First Post
One more question: What about Powerful Build?

Oh, I also forgot to ask about a CR estimate for the Powerful Build ability, such as what the half-giants get in the SRD as a psionic race:

"Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category."

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and patience,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Extended Reach and Powerful Build...

Anyone have any thoughts on these two questions, for creature creation as well as for creating new PC and NPC races?

Thanks in advance,
Flynn

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Flynn said:
Oh, I also forgot to ask about a CR estimate for the Powerful Build ability, such as what the half-giants get in the SRD as a psionic race. Thoughts?

So... He's Large for all intents and purposes except for his space and reach?

I'd say it's a lazy and silly workaround for not just making half giants Large (for whatever reason.

What about the extended reach question?

Answered above in my very first reply.

Here's a very good rule of thumb that will stand as my last word on this thread:

An ability with a powerful and constant combat-related ability, +0.5. (eg Fast Healing).
An ability that is either very useful or constantly "on," +0.2.
An ability that is very useful but rarely applicable, +0.1.
An ability that is neither very useful nor frequently applicable, +0.05.

Flynn

First Post
My thanks...

Wulf Ratbane said:
Here's a very good rule of thumb that will stand as my last word on this thread:

An ability with a powerful and constant combat-related ability, +0.5. (eg Fast Healing).
An ability that is either very useful or constantly "on," +0.2.
An ability that is very useful but rarely applicable, +0.1.
An ability that is neither very useful nor frequently applicable, +0.05.

Thank you, Wulf, for your patience with this newbie to Grim Tales.

-Flynn

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Flynn said:
Thank you, Wulf, for your patience with this newbie to Grim Tales.

-Flynn

No problem, I just want you to have the confidence to use the rules as a toolkit and not keep handing them back to the original mechanic. :D

Flynn

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
No problem, I just want you to have the confidence to use the rules as a toolkit and not keep handing them back to the original mechanic. :D

Understood, Oh Great Mechanic! ;)

Just like to understand things before I tinker too much with them,
Flynn

Remove ads