• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Grim Tales] Help me write an adventure

ragboy

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
You've been trying to figure out how to get the LXG there-- no reason Nemo can't have a bad-ass (spiky-looking) Zeppelin.

A badA spiky-looking submarine that Turns INTO a badA spikey looking Zeppelin... hmmm.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Nuclear Platypus said:
Quick question for Doctor Wulf-enstein. :]

How'd you create your versions of the LXG? Vanilla GT, use of templates or what?

Vanilla GT.

For Hyde and Griffin, you'll need to use the Creature Creation chapter to assess the CR impact of their supernatural abilities.

Wulf

Narfellus

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
In the "LXG vs. The Tomb of Horrors" my Rasputin-like menace was Dietrich Eckart (scroll down or search). He was a Thule Society member who initiated a young Adolf Hitler into mysticism.

Wulf

Durn you Wulf! Your link has diverted me the past two hours looking up Nazi's, Madame Blavatsky, Atlantis and Lemuria!

Ok, i like the ideas about research in the arctic. The Thing (Carpenter's) is one of my favorite movies, but i understand we don't want a true horror theme going on here, which is what Cthulhu and the arctic setting would surely turn into. For a more sci-fi twist, how about Nikolai Tesla (as mentioned earlier) being kidnapped to work on a Death Ray in the Arctic (or Antarctic). This could be done by the Thule Society, or any renegade Lodge member with his own neo-nazi pseduo cultists with an eye for world domination. That would work well with the League of X-Gents too.

Then you could blend in some more weirdness with an Aleister Crowley-ish character channeling Greys through elaborate sex rituals, and THEN blend that with cults in the Arctic and kidnapped physicist geniuses. Ah, so many ways to threaten mankind...

EDIT: You could use Frostburn or the mega-CoC adventure Beyond the Mountains of Madness for details on cold exposure and environment.

OurManMute

First Post
If you want to do an adventure based around Tunguska, you might also want to consider including the Ochrana (Russian secret police of the time) as a major player, probably as bad guys. They were quite brutal, and star in all sorts of conspiracy theories of the period.

Hm, this gets me thinking... Perhaps Rasputin is an Ochrana scientist doing fanciful research. Or perhaps a criminal doing forced labor in Siberia, who learns a thing or two about the activities going on there.

Another thought: wooly mammoths are occasionally found in Siberia, well-preserved because they are so deeply frozen. Perhaps something alien and/or ancient (cue to Lovecraftian horrors here) was also discovered?

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Vanilla GT.

For Hyde and Griffin, you'll need to use the Creature Creation chapter to assess the CR impact of their supernatural abilities.

Wulf

Do you use templates for critters? I noticed you mention their use near the beginning of the CC chapter but given the guidelines laid out, they might not even be needed. Just curious.

Oh, another site for possible villains:

The Vril Society

Munin

First Post
If you want to do an adventure based around Tunguska, you might also want to consider including the Ochrana (Russian secret police of the time) as a major player, probably as bad guys. They were quite brutal, and star in all sorts of conspiracy theories of the period.

Hm, this gets me thinking... Perhaps Rasputin is an Ochrana scientist doing fanciful research. Or perhaps a criminal doing forced labor in Siberia, who learns a thing or two about the activities going on there.

This has potential. Maybe it is the Ochrana who assisted Rasputin in the research station raid and who ambush the party when they arrive to investigate. Anytime you can involve secret police of any sort it is a good thing in my book.

Ok, so far we have two cool scenes that I'd like to include in the adventure: The research station and Tunguska. For a four-hour session, we have room for one, maybe two more scenes. The climactic finish will involve the lxg preventing the antagonist from repeating Tunguska over a major European city, presumably London, but not necessarily.

Ideas?

Remove ads