• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grimores

Bolcien

First Post
Alright in the Ultimate magic core book, they have Grimores. My question is how do I figure the cost of a Grimore... and how do I figure out a the price for the ritual for it's bonus.

[edit] freaking mouse: I looked in the book and couldn't find anything other than possibly combining books or buying high level for lower level characters. any advice on how to price out the perfect Grimore for a lvl 4... soon to be lvl 5 wizard that'll last him untill 10 or 15 or even 20?

Dingo333

First Post
well, for the book and all its spells, treat each spell as a scroll, add up all the costs

for the ritual, treat it as a wonderous item. Rules are in the back of the core book. Work out what it does, if it emulates any spell, if it gives a bonus that sorta stuff and use what it gives you from the table

Bolcien

First Post
well thanks for the link (and spelling lesson) but that doesn't have anything I don't already know. I'm trying to figure the price of a custom made Grimoire. I did a price comparison with the price in the book and scroll prices and the scrolls cost about 3.5 times more than the price in the book for the lvl 5 evokers book of harm. and that's without the prep ritual.

Systole

First Post
Are you trying to separate out the cost of ritual and add it to a customized spellbook, or are you trying to determine the cost of customized ritual?

The first one seems fairly easy given that Preconstructed Spellbooks - Pathfinder_OGC assigns clear monetary values to the rituals....

EDIT: Just quickly looking through, all of the additional costs for the rituals match scroll costs of a certain level (375gp, 1650 gp, 3000gp). My guess is, the addiitional cost is related to the value of the ritual in comparison to a scroll of some level.

Last edited:

Bolcien

First Post
I'm taking the prep ritual from the book of harms, prep cost is 375gold... atleast at that level not sure if it's a sliding scale cause well it's not seen anywhere else.

but I'm thinking of taking the cost of all the scrolls needed for said book and dividing it by 3.5 and that'll give a rough estimate as to how much the book should cost. then add in the 375 gold for the prep ritual.

Systole

First Post
Magic - Pathfinder_OGC

Selling a Spellbook
Captured spellbooks can be sold for an amount equal to half the cost of purchasing and inscribing the spells within.

It follows that buying a spellbook is equal to 100% of the scroll+inscription cost, but I'm tired and drunk, so I'll leave that to you to work out if it's correct.

Remove ads