• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gross Fell: The dragon's lair

Thordain

First Post
Your travels have brought you to the small human village of Gross Fell.

Lorenz: You've been walking for weeks on the road, seeing new places and meeting new people. Your adventures have taken you far and wide, but today you feel relief as your path takes you to the small village of Gross Fell. As you walk up the dusty road, villagers and farmers look at you with disinterested suprise, then soon go back to their sheep and their carts. You wearily enter the common room of the Traveler's Rest, the one and only inn in this small town.
In the common room are a few farm hands enjoying an afternoon ale, the patron and a serving wench, and assorted commoners. To your suprise, completely out of place in the tavern are three stout dwarves. One is dressed in well worn leathers, with a sickle at his side. Another formidable looking dwarf in a breastplate has two mighty axes slung across his back. The third dwarf has bright red hair and a fine braided beard. A symbol of Moradin is prominently carved on his breastplate, and he carries a powerful looking warhammer easily at his side.

Taklinn: You take a sip of the inkeep's ale, and sigh. Humans simply can't seem to brew decent spirits. "Gross Fell", you think, "Where have I heard the name of this human town before?". Suddently it hits you. You recall years ago meeting a human warrior from the area. Over a few mugs of spirits, you exchanged childhood stories. The human told you of a legend, the legend of Elizar Branded Hand. As the story went, an evil wizard was succumed to evil somewhere near Gross Fell many generations ago. The villagers revolted, and buried him alive somewhere in the hills. Of course, you dismissed the story as a yet another legend, the kind these short-lived humans tell each other to spice up their dreary short-lived lives....
You are suprised to see two other dwarves in the common room of your inn. One, clearly a cleric of Moradin, has a beautiful finely braided red beard. The other is in leathers, and has a worldly look about him.

Thoart: Human settlements are something you usually rarely visit. They always seem innocent enough, but at the first sign of prosperity, they grow, without regard or care for the natural resources among them. Rivers and streams become polluted, and forests become cut down. Grasslands are overgrazed, and the once idyllic village has become another city, a blight like a sore on the land. Nevertheless, Gross Fell seems peaceful enough. "Yes, but for how long?", you think to yourself. You've heard rumors among the herders of sheep missing. Some say a dragon has been preying on the local cattle and sheep.
You've been musing these tidings when you see a pair of dwarves enter the common room of the inn. They are followed shortly afterwards by a lanky, tall human with a dangerously competent look about him.

Davik: Moradin works in mysterious ways, indeed. How did you, a devoted child, come to this insignifcant human town? How can this be part of his great plan?
Amused, you chide yourself. It is not your place to question, only to serve and do his works. You smile, almost not suprised as you see the two dwarves in the common room of the inn. Surely, it can not be coincidence that three of Moradin's children would be in this remote, almost uniquely human town. You raise an eyebrow when the long haired stranger enters the room. His demeanor suggests dangerous grace and quiet competence.

Last edited:

yangnome

First Post
*After the stranger walks in teh place, Davik turns back to his ale and mumbles to no one in particular...

Bah. Why Moradin brought me to this god forsaken place is beyond me

too the discerning ear, davik might have mispronounced or perhaps overpronounced Moradin's name...then again, maybe you heard wrong.

edited to find a readable color...

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
Thoart left his dire wolves and owl in the surrounding woods a few miles from the village, not wanting them too close so they don't scare any villagers or eat their livestock. He learned that lesson the hard way.

Ahh, dwarves, this might not be a bad place to stop for a spell and enjoy some local stories and have a good drink. Thoart thinks to himself.

Thaort walks into the inn.

Thoart is your average dwarf until it comes to his hair and beard. Instead of a nice braided beard or a full natural spread as is custom for most dwarves, thart has braided his redish beard into two long braids intwined with sticks, bits of animal bone and other misc. vegitation. In his hair he has interwoven two small antlers. His cloths are simple browns and greens and somewhat dirty and are covered by well made leather armor. On his belt which is mad of braided vines, he carries a sickle.

Last edited:

Thordain

First Post
The innkeep walks up to Thoart:

"Another dwarf! 'Tis rare enough to see one of yer kind among these parts, but two is strange indeed!

"Ah! No offense intended by that, good sir, no offense intended at all! What shall I be gettin' ye? A tankard of our good ale like yer companion here?"

He jerks his thumb towards the fiery red bearded dwarf several tables across from you. He seems to be muttering something to himself in his tankard, and has a holy symbol of Moradin carved into his breastplate.

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
Thoart

Muttering to himself, “a dwarf and a cleric, fortune is with me today.”

Thoart steps very close to the barkeep and reaches up and puts his hand on the man’s shoulder. “I will have whatever strong bitter ale you have my friend. Remember not to pour your waste and wash water into any streams, it is bad luck, I have seen people whole lives ruined because they ignore the sanctity of nature, her wrath is quick and sharp. I will be sitting with that fellow over there” pointing to the cleric of Moradin, “do you know his name?”

Thoart learned long ago that superstition works much better on most people than honest concern and wisdom.

Thordain

First Post
The innkeep gulps when you place your hand on his shoulder, and again when you mention bad luck.

"B-b-bad luck? You don't think...? I.. that is we... the village. Some people claim to have seen..."

His voice lowers to a throaty whisper

"Some say they have seen a ... a dragon!"

He looks around nervously, wringing his washcloth between his hands.

"Is this an omen? Are we being punished for our sins?

"I -- yes... our finest bitter, coming right up. I do apologize, sire, I do not know the honored gentleman's name."

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
As the man turns to get Thoart's drink, Thoart grabs his forarm, "Be good to the land, there is nothing more natural for her to use than a dragon's fury."

Smiling to himself, Thoart walks to the table and sits right next to the cleric, leans in close and with a big smile introduces himself, "Names Thoart Wormwood, it is nice to see the warm face of a fellow dwarf. What's yer name, friend?" Thoarts face is 6-8" from the clerics.

Last edited:

yangnome

First Post
Name's Davik. I'd strongly advise against drinkin the ale... It tastes as weak as dishwater...perhaps he'd benefit from putting his waste into the ale vats.

Last edited:

Page

Explorer
Lorenz glances around the common room, his gaze settling on the three dwarves.

Three dwarves, the rogue thinks to himself, in a small human village...now thats not somethin' a man's gonna see everyday. Can't be coincidence, and where there are dwarves there's sure to be trouble, gold, or both not far off...

Cracking a friendly grin, Lorenz saunters up to the bar. He leans against the bar and says to the barkeep, "How about an ale, friend?"

Absently stroking his close-trimmed beard as he waits for his ale, Lorenz casually eyes the dwarves that seem so out of place. As the barkeep sets an ale on the counter, Lorenz turns to him and says, "Friend, you sure got some strange customers for a place like this. Short ones too. They regulars around here?"

Last edited:

Thordain

First Post
"One ale, comin' right up!"

The innkeep turns and pours your a heady mead, placing the tankard squarely on the table in front of you.

"That'll be four coppers, if ye please."

"Aye, those dwarves over there. Ne'er seem 'em before in me life! Strange days indeed, around here. I tell ye friend, things aren't normal these days. There's been cattle and sheep missin', and rumors are aboundin' as to why. Then just today, I see three dwarves enter the inn. Haveen't seen one of the stout folk in years, and now three in one day!
Aye, things are strange and gettin' stranger. Not since the days of Elizar Branded Hand has Gross Fell had anything out of the ordinary."

Last edited:

Remove ads