• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Group actions and teamwork

Greenfield

Adventurer
We had a few situations come up in our last game session that I'd like some advice on.

Facing some flying opponents (Harpy Archers re-skinned as "Flying Monkeys"), one PC set up an Obscuring Mist spell. Every now and then a PC would step out to take a shot or whatever.

The question is, if I have seven flying monkeys, do I roll seven separate SPOT/Perception checks, or should I roll a single one for the group and add some Aid Another bonuses? If so, how many?

Next question, a PC is down, filled with arrows from said Flying Monkeys (hey, those things deserve their CR 11 rating). A friend declares that they're defending their friend.

Obviously they can provide some cover, and they can Aid Another in defense. That would give a total of a +4 to their effective AC.

Can they themselves go "Full Defense" while doing this?

Are there any other AC adjustments that you'd allow/apply?

Note: The Harpy Archers are listed as having Magical +2/Mighty +2 longbows with Cold, so they do an average of 12 per hit. At +23 to hit, with seven of them shooting once per round at the same target, they can drop a level 12 PC in two or three rounds, without ever coming into melee range, and without bunching up into a nice neat fireball pattern.

Delightfully nasty.

JypsRidic

First Post
If I were you, I would get really annoyed really quickly with making individual checks for each monkey and I would just give them all a number 1-7 to identify them with then roll once and add their number to the die roll, going over 20 wraps around to 1, to simulate a batch of rolls.
Or just do one check for them all and if it fails none of them saw the PC and if succeeds pick a couple and say they saw the PC, or if they really really succeed let them all see.

As for the defending your ally, since that is an active activity I would give the cover bonus and if the enemy still hits the defender can make a reflex save to get in the way then adjudicate the attack against them instead, maybe deny their dex bonus to AC since getting out of the way would be bad.

SteelFalcon0131

First Post
If I were you, I would get really annoyed really quickly with making individual checks for each monkey and I would just give them all a number 1-7 to identify them with then roll once and add their number to the die roll, going over 20 wraps around to 1, to simulate a batch of rolls.
Or just do one check for them all and if it fails none of them saw the PC and if succeeds pick a couple and say they saw the PC, or if they really really succeed let them all see.

As for the defending your ally, since that is an active activity I would give the cover bonus and if the enemy still hits the defender can make a reflex save to get in the way then adjudicate the attack against them instead, maybe deny their dex bonus to AC since getting out of the way would be bad.

this

Remove ads