• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grow the hobby for the holidays!

physicscarp

Explorer
Guys,

Whether we all realize it or not, our hobby needs fresh new players to continue. It's a niche market, and as we get older, some of us stop playing and our hobby shrinks, little by little. I often think about ways that I can "grow the hobby" and involve new young players in it.

One of the things that I've done the past few years (since 3E came out) is to purchase a Basic D&D box set (the orange bordered one) and toss it into a Toys For Tots or similar charity donation box. This year, I think I'm going to up the ante, and purchase both a new D&D Basic Game and an Aberrations Starter Set. At least two lucky kids will have the chance to wake up to an enjoyable present, which he or she will have to share with their friends so that they can play. And so, the hobby grows.

I'd really like to encourage everyone else to think about donating either one of the above items this year if they can afford it. I'm going on Saturday to drop mine off. Here's hoping that a few other gamers feel the same way I do.

The Horror

First Post
That is a really fantastic idea. I will do exactly that when I get a job after finishing off this silly PhD.

One other thing though. I think that another method of creating new gamers would be to get rid of all play by post forums. Make people get out of their home to find new gamers. If they really want to game (and they do), then they'll have to find new gamers in their area.

Of course that would never work since people would just find somewhere else to start playing, but the principle is still there anyhow.

The Horror

nopantsyet

First Post
I already did. This year it was Thanksgiving with the in-laws, and I corralled my wife's brothers into playing a d20 Modern one-shot. I hadn't played it before--I DM a D&D game but have wanted to give 'Modern a shot. My GMing wasn't fantastic, but they hadn't played before so they didn't know the difference. ;) At least, they've agreed to play when we're all visiting the extended in-laws over the Holiday break. Maybe I'll gift them their own rulebooks and see if I can't hook them!

VirgilCaine

First Post
I had always thought that the mental benefits of gaming would really help older people, I mean real old people, like in nursing homes. Better than watching TV or playing cards...again. Good thing to keep the mind working.

eabha

First Post
I plan to DM (first time!) for my brother and his friends over the holidays, and hopefully get them interested in the game. If nothing else, I'll not go into withdrawal as my regular group takes a break...

I like the idea of donating the Basic Game...it's a great "toy" for older kids, who are often neglected when people buy things for toy drives. So, I'll definitely be doing that this year. Great suggestion!

Remove ads