• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Growing/Maturing an animal

I am a ranger with a dire boar animal companion. She comes complete with 3 piglets. I gave one of the piglets to a new halfling in the group, and he made it his companion.

I still have 2 piglets that I would like to grow to adulthood and make companions to enhance our group's strength. I saw "Grow Animal", but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

What are my options?

Celebrim

Legend
What are my options?

If I had to guess, there aren't going to be a lot of official ones because the ability to rapidly age something is just way to potent of an ability in anything short of a deity. Among other things, think about pulling this trick with a dragon wyrmling.

Even if any are available, they'll be balanced with human life expectancy in mind, so it might be hard to induce a sufficiently short period of aging in a pig that might only have a life expectancy of 8 years or so. (Granted I have no idea how long dire pigs live, but even 20 years is normally a very old pig.)

The obvious option is to wait awhile. A pig will gain 11 pounds a week with sufficient food. Presumably a dire boar will at some point start gaining weight at even a faster rate.

Demonspell

Explorer
Depending on the edition you are playing Haste might achieve what you are asking. It has an aging effect in 2e AD&D. I think it was dropped in later editions, and I don't think it was ever a ranger spell.
However, as someone else started pigs grow quickly gaining weight at about 11 pounds a week once they are about 5 or 6 weeks (when they are considered adults) old. They typically reach close to their full weight at abuot 18 mos. So time may be your friend and be far easier than using magic.

Chances are this isn't something you're going to be able to pull out of a supplement. Is there a druid grove nearby? Perhaps in exchange for favors, the druids will not only rear the animals for you but help train them? Perhaps the dire boards will be stronger than normal? I ran a two PC campaign once where the party had some hunting hounds. After the party had saved a priest of Ehlonna, they received Elhonna's blessings (higher stats, extra hp, etc).

Another thing you could do, I guess, is play with the different planes. Are there any planes where time passes more rapidly than on the prime? I once did a puzzle in a dungeon where the party had to cross a large room filled with spinning gears. At initiative zero, the gears turned. Depending on which way they turned, you either aged older or younger. If you spent too much time there you could crumble into dust!

Remove ads