• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

growth weapons IMC

Narkaious

First Post
I am just strating a campaign and was wonder what other people thought about my growth rules. I am going for a Dark Cloud(great game btw)-ish feel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st lvl 50 evolution points
2nd lvl 100 Evo points
etc...

Basically Evolution points are the pool sum of the the CR's of the creatures defeated divided evenly among those who participated in the encounters.

each weapon has 3 slots in which to put special attachments that help increase the weapons abilities.

the attachments can give bonuses to any of these things in any amount the DM chooses and in any groupins(though themes are suggested)

Weapon Attributes
*attack *damage
at every +10 to attack the weapon gets +1 to attack
at every +10 to damage they gain a +1 to damage

Elements
*fire *ice *electricity *sonic *acid
all of these max out at 20
and at 10 they gain that enchantment
and at 20 they get the burst

Enemy
basically these are the more specific sub types(dragon, goblinoid, etc...) and these max out at 20 also and in increments of 5 they get +1 to damage against these foes.

rare attachments may hold special abilities they may also be absorbed

RogueEagle

First Post
Growth Weapons

I had seen a similar idea a while back about something called prestige weapons and armor, and I've been trying to find that info again. A character can (needs) to give the item xp to level up the item, but the abilites are hardwired in. Not much has turned up, but if you want to read the thread, it's in the House Rules section (now dropped to the second or third page) or perhaps this link will work, not sure.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=45559

But I like the twist your concept brings; the addition of certain items to raise the stats of a weapon, completely customizable. Cool idea :) (Even if it was "piggybacked" from DarkCloud, which I have no moral problem with "piggybacking" ideas ;) )

Alchemist

First Post
I would reply, but I don't really know what you want. Your idea is a little bit vague, and I don't quite get it. What percieved benefit is there using your system over one of the xp-spending growth systems covered in other threads, Dragon and Spells and Spellcraft?

You're essentially adding a 3rd growth attribute (along with xp and wealth) to a character for the explicit purpose of tooling up his gear. Unless you have plans for a low-magic game, you're going to end up with a party that is over-geared in magic items.

I like the idea of minor racial banes and transferable features though. :)

Here are questions: What are you trying to accomplish? Will this improve your game, or potentially unbalance it? What are these levels associated with the evolution points? It dosen't take 200 CR 1 encounters for a 1st level party of 4 to reach second level, so those levels must mean something else that you haven't defined for us.

It's hard to critique something that's only half-formed, I'm afraid. Clean it up, fill it out and let us know. :)

Narkaious

First Post
these are the kind of responses that help thank you Alchemist

------------------------------
Basically Evolution points are the pool sum of the the CR's of the creatures defeated divided evenly among those who participated in the encounters.example: each PC in a 4 member party who just defeated 4 monsters with CR 1 would each get 1 EVO point
these points represent the collection of power and energy from fallen enemies.

each weapon has 3 slots in which to put special attachments that help increase the weapons abilities.

the attachments can give bonuses to any of these things in any amount the DM chooses and in any groupins(though themes are suggested)

Weapon Attributes
*attack *damage
at every +10 to attack the weapon gets +1 to attack
at every +10 to damage they gain a +1 to damage

Elements
*fire *ice *electricity *sonic *acid
all of these max out at 20
and at 10 they gain that enchantment
and at 20 they get the burst

Enemy
basically these are the more specific sub types(dragon, goblinoid, etc...) and these max out at 20 also and in increments of 5 they get +1 to damage against these foes.

rare attachments may hold special abilities that may also be absorbed,(enhaces a rage, gives weapon intelligence, allows attacks to heal, creativity is the only limit).
--------------------------------------
DM could stop giving magical weapons and set the growth weapons at a constant percent of the characters wealth,10% is what i am with right now.These weapons are also more fully customizable

what these weapons are meant to do is to have characters who are bonded to their weapon and more fully developed and encourage team play.If the attachments are limited characters are going to pick favorite elements and enemies.

Alchemist

First Post
Narkaious said:
these are the kind of responses that help thank you Alchemist
No problem. :)

DM could stop giving magical weapons and set the growth weapons at a constant percent of the characters wealth,10% is what i am with right now.These weapons are also more fully customizable
Sure. Many of us are going this route. See my post in this thread for my solution. A couple of feats that allow characters to self-infuse magic items that only work for them, and to infuse themselves so that any weapon/armour/whatever they pick up is magical for them.

what these weapons are meant to do is to have characters who are bonded to their weapon and more fully developed and encourage team play.If the attachments are limited characters are going to pick favorite elements and enemies.
Okay. So why implement a whole extra level of advancement? Why not make it easy, and base it off of having the characters spend earned xp to enhance their items? And the cost a fraction of what the gp cost would be in xp?

If you're concerned about them not advancing fast enough because they are spending xp on magic items, limit the amount they can spend and give more out. :)

Narkaious

First Post
Alchemist said:
Okay. So why implement a whole extra level of advancement? Why not make it easy, and base it off of having the characters spend earned xp to enhance their items? And the cost a fraction of what the gp cost would be in xp?

most of the abilites do not have any worth in gp as of yet because most are original. the reason i don't use xp is because i think it is dumb for players to have to sacrifice their growth for something else. of course i also have a problem with the current explanation on magic item creation.

besides the only one keeping track is the DM unless he/she decides the players can keeptrack for themselves.

Alchemist

First Post
Narkaious said:

most of the abilites do not have any worth in gp as of yet because most are original. the reason i don't use xp is because i think it is dumb for players to have to sacrifice their growth for something else. of course i also have a problem with the current explanation on magic item creation.

besides the only one keeping track is the DM unless he/she decides the players can keeptrack for themselves.

Fair enough. I don't have a problem with characters deciding on whether to advance their gear or their skills, but that's just me. And if it was a real issue, I would just hand out more xp.

Keep us posted as you develop it further. I'm always interested in different mechanisms. :)

Remove ads