• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL is up

Farland

Explorer
jaelis said:
Well, given that WotC does plan to produce utilities like that, it's not too surprising that they don't want to let others do the same.

Yeah, I know their reasoning, and I was at GenCon last year where they gave a sneak-peak at the utility they plan to release. It looks nice, but it has nowhere near the functionality of DM Genie (or DM's Familiar). It is something to help you roll up characters, plus an online battlemap, as far as I understand it. Plus, if the program has bugs, or if there is user request for added functionality, as a large corporation, WOTC isn't exactly responsive.

4e, I'm not sure it's as necessary.

It seems pretty necessary to me.

:(

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
Farland said:
It seems pretty necessary to me.

:(
That was a big thing for me too, being a faithful fan of DM Genie for the past four or five years. Once upon a time, I ran 3E without software aides, but the general leap of quality my games celebrated when I started using the program was invigorating. It made a struggle into a breeze. So I was holding my breath to see whether there would be a 4E version, or what other options might become available.

Interesingly enough, I ran my first 4E session Monday night... old-school style. No program, not even a computer at the table. I even took notes by hand, with help from one of the players. And... it was good. Even given the learning curve on the new rules, it was far easier than running a 3.5 game session by hand.

I'm not criticizing 3.5... I love it, and I have DM Genie to help me love it. But I think I may be able to afford to wait and see what develops for 4th without putting off actually playing or anything.

Hussar

Legend
epochrpg said:
Wow. Some of this stuff is completely asinine. You cannot list the stat block of a monster from the MM in a module you write. But you CAN do stat blocks for your own original monsters.

So for a Cyclops Impaler, all you can say is that it is in the Monster Manual, and you can reference the fact he has a spear. But if you have BERNIE the Cyclops Impaler, you have just made an original monster and can give his full statblock [which will be exactly the same as the one from the MM, maybe with -1 HP or something. Lame.

Trying to stop publishers from putting statblocks in their modules? Can we say petty? Part of the reason for buying a module is the convenience of not having to flip through a bunch of books all the time-- the convenience of having all the info you need at the tips of your fingers.

I would point out that this is precisely the limitations Paizo operated on for its entire run. Any "stock" monsters got a page number reference (if that) and only custom monsters got full stat blocks.

Now, OTOH, I'd absolutely HATE to run the World's Largest Dungeon without the stat blocks right in front of me. But, to be fair the other way, since stat blocks are now very short, is it unreasonable to assume that the DM will write them out in shorthand before the session?

webrunner

First Post
Hussar said:
I would point out that this is precisely the limitations Paizo operated on for its entire run. Any "stock" monsters got a page number reference (if that) and only custom monsters got full stat blocks.

Now, OTOH, I'd absolutely HATE to run the World's Largest Dungeon without the stat blocks right in front of me. But, to be fair the other way, since stat blocks are now very short, is it unreasonable to assume that the DM will write them out in shorthand before the session?

Yes. I mean, look at KotS. If you had to write everything out before the session (assuming 4 encounters) you'd have to write out:
- Kobold Minion
- Kobold Slinger (with notes as to pots)
- Kobold Dragonshield
- Kobold Wyrmpriest
- Kobold Skirmisher
- Irontooth
- Gnome Skulk
- Guard Drake
- Halfling Slinger
- Human Rabble
- Rat Swarm
- Goblin Warrior
- Goblin Sharpshooter
- Hobgoblin Torturer
- Balgron the Fat
- Goblin Cutters
- Zombie Rotter
- Zombie
- Giant Rat
- Ochre Jelly

Remember, once they get to the town the first time it's possible they go right to the keep, and once they beat that first encounter, there's so many directions they could potentially go.

Balgron the Fat and Irontooth they could include in a 3pp if kots was 3pp.

If Wizards provided a simple way to -copy- a stat block for DMs, they could just make those copies and be done with it, but they're also preventing that

Stormtalon

First Post
This may be where the Rules Compendium may come in handy. Assuming you can look up monster statblocks, it would then become rather easy to print off the monsters you know you'll be using in your next session with a 3pp module.

Obryn

Hero
I could be completely wrong, but as I read it, stat lines should be fine, as long as they're not complete stat blocks.

-O

Xorn

First Post
Looks like it prohibits "interactive programs". That could mean no official ruleset for FG2. Bummer. (There's already a very good FAN ruleset, though.)

Alkiera

First Post
I'm pretty sure the only reason KotS had full stat blocks for every encounter was that it was released before the MM. Lots of 3.x official adventure modules only had "3x Monster (MM pg XX) hp 13, 14, 15". They'd include full statblocks for named NPCs or unique monsters, but if they just wanted a generic MM entry, it was referenced, not copied.

They specifically don't want to have adventures written that don't require the MM. They need to sell the core books, all of them. If you can get by with just published adventures and no MM, people would do it. Yes, you could come up with all custom monsters for your adventure. Good luck with that.

webrunner

First Post
Alkiera said:
I'm pretty sure the only reason KotS had full stat blocks for every encounter was that it was released before the MM. Lots of 3.x official adventure modules only had "3x Monster (MM pg XX) hp 13, 14, 15". They'd include full statblocks for named NPCs or unique monsters, but if they just wanted a generic MM entry, it was referenced, not copied.

They specifically don't want to have adventures written that don't require the MM. They need to sell the core books, all of them. If you can get by with just published adventures and no MM, people would do it. Yes, you could come up with all custom monsters for your adventure. Good luck with that.

All 4e adventure stuff we've seen so far (eg Dungeon "Heathen" one) include full stat blocks. It's incredibly helpful to do so, and makes running one of these adventures a breeze.

For most standard MM monsters, in 3.5 you could at least copy from the SRD, to save time, when preparing to run something.

Having to manually copy down monster stats feels so.. archaic. And sorry if you mistype!

Remove ads