• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gsl?

Wasn't the GSL supposed to be published on the 6th...I mean I saw the article saying "next week"...but didn't WOTC say the 6th previously?? Am I wrong"?

What would hold up the publication of something like that? Not to stir the pot and gripe some more (bc I like 4E for the most part), but is this wotc screwing around again to the their own detriment or is there a legit reason for this delay?

Or am I just all wrong?

Traken

First Post
It was supposed to be out on The Day, but it's Wizards... did you really expect them to keep it? :D

It's also not like a week will change much. The greenlight for 3rd party products is still several months away.

see

Pedantic Grognard
Yes, it was supposed to be out on June 6th.

The explanation given in the thread over on the OGF-L forum for the current delay is that they didn't have the website ready to go for it on the 6th.

LeaderDesslok

First Post
Not having the GSL ready on June 6, as promised, is bad but not horrible as it doesn't impact gameplay. (Note: yes I know there was a short press release that said it would come out a week later, but that came out after the press release stating how excited they were that the GSL and SRD would be available on June 6. And the updated press release was posted on June 6!)

Not having the web site ready, and especially not having even a single element of the DDI available on June 6, is inexcusable. Even in the obscure, buried, brief mention that DDI would be mostly unavailable, we were still supposed to get the database, and even that couldn't be done on time. Meanwhile, all the books have ads, and all the stores have displays, telling folks to go to DnDInsider.com for a 10-day free trial, and find that there's NOTHING THERE. Even after a weekend firestorm of complaints and questions, the d&d page remains unchanged. I literally just looked at it again and there is still no mention that it will be months before everything will be online, nor is there an apology of any sort to all of the people who bought the books expecting an online aspect that has been touted as a revolutionary innovation to the game.

I noted a mention from Scott Rouse at Gleemax regarding the release of the PDF versions of the core books; he "hopes" they will be ready in a week or so. He hopes? HE HOPES?

Although I haven't got a ton of interest in 4E, I really want it to succeed and I thought the DDI might make it more attractive to me. Being lied to--yes, LIED TO--about the availability of the the DDI service is appalling and, although it could never be proven illegal, it is certainly unethical.

To paraphrase the Monarch: Wizards of the Coast, how does it feel to have your pants constantly on fire?

(I'd have posted this at WotC's forums but they appear to be having server problems [go figure.] My apologies for ranting.)

Dire Bare

Legend
LeaderDesslok said:
Not having the web site ready, and especially not having even a single element of the DDI available on June 6, is inexcusable.
I excused them! But then again, I'm a low-stress, laid-back, understanding kind of guy. Who also realizes this is all a lot of smoke over a GAME.

Besides, it's not true that NO PART of the Dungeons & Dragons Insider was ready 6/6/08. The new online Dragon and Dungeon Magazines are a very integral part of the D&DI, and they were available on launch day! They scratchd my D&D itch, as I couldn't get my books until Monday, with excellent articles on Warforged, Yeenoghu, and more!

I guess I'm just a glass-half-full kinda person.

LeaderDesslok

First Post
Granted it's just a game, but it's also a multi-million dollar business with many loyal (fanatical?) customers who are investing a ton of money into the #1 company's coffers. That company made a number of promises to those customers and not only failed to deliver, IMO they deceived those customers into believing they'd be getting a total package on day of release.

I guess I look at it more from a business perspective than just a game perspective.

And very well, DireBear, I admit Dragon was there. But why wasn't the character sheet PDF put up on Friday too? It's just poor planning, poor execution, and poor communication.

I have little faith that the DDI will be ready even by the end of the year. For that matter, I have little faith the GSL will be up by the end of this week (gotta pull this back to the original intent of the thread :cool: )

breschau

First Post
LeaderDesslok said:
I noted a mention from Scott Rouse at Gleemax regarding the release of the PDF versions of the core books; he "hopes" they will be ready in a week or so. He hopes? HE HOPES?

Any word on the cost of those pdfs?

Prophet2b

First Post
You guys don't play video games, do you? ;-)

As an avid gamer (at the table and at the console), I guess I'm so used to just about every single game being talked up (features, time tables, etc.) and then later on the developers going back and saying, "Woops, that didn't pan out." that I pretty much think of it as a given by now.

Granted, that's not to say I don't get a little frustrated at times. And that's not to say that it's right. But it is the reality of just about every major gaming franchise out there today. Some examples:

* Grand Theft Auto 4 was supposed to be released last September. It got pushed back to this past April. No apologies.
* Assassin's Creed was supposed to have an advanced, responsive artificial intelligence that got yanked at the last minute (and, oh, the developers conveniently didn't tell all of the expecting fans who pre-ordered their million+ copies). No apologies.
* The Playstation 3's Home has been pushed back and pushed back so many times that people are wondering if it will ever be released (not to mention some other features of the PS3 that have been promised and not-yet delivered). No apologies.
* Mass Effect was a "Xbox 360 exclusive" that only a few months after release was revealed to be coming to the computer. No apologies.
* Project Offset has been "coming soon" for four years.

There's a whole lot more.

I, personally, think of table top gaming a lot like video games. They have a "programming" to them that we follow. They have a core game with "plugins" (supplements). There are a lot of similarities.

I'm not saying people have to like it. But it's a reality that consumer's have to live with, and the sooner I realized that, the longer I've been happier about the products I do get, regardless of when I get them. :)

Remove ads