• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guess I'm not joining the Israeli army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Well, that's new commentary on it but the link it has is from an article from early 2005 (as it points out). Would be nice to follow, though, if he gets an updated word on it. :)

lior_shapira

Explorer
Don't get too worked up guys, the story's just a pile of !@#$, simply untrue. It was published in Israel back when and was shown to be just some journalist's pipe dream

Lior

Yair

Community Supporter
I have not heared of any change in the policy - and I think I would have. The IDF sends people admitting to playing LARP to a psychological evaluation, and usually lowers their security clearance. They sometimes send people who play D&D too - that's not the policy, but it's not like the guys conducting the questioning know the difference.

I served as an intelligence NCO in an infantry regiment, after passing the psychological examination. In other words, I got a pretty good clearance (better than everyone but my commanding officers). It's not that big a deal.

Yair, an Israeli (reserves) soldier

Aaron L

Hero
Yair said:
I have not heared of any change in the policy - and I think I would have. The IDF sends people admitting to playing LARP to a psychological evaluation, and usually lowers their security clearance. They sometimes send people who play D&D too - that's not the policy, but it's not like the guys conducting the questioning know the difference.

I served as an intelligence NCO in an infantry regiment, after passing the psychological examination. In other words, I got a pretty good clearance (better than everyone but my commanding officers). It's not that big a deal.

Yair, an Israeli (reserves) soldier

Oh well, if it's just LARPers it's ok. We all know those people are strange anyway.

:]

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
As always it boggles my mind that today's military (in any place) is against harmless fun. Why? because they don't understand it. And yet they expect these same volunteers to go out, kill people and not ask questions.

Tell you what guys, next time there's a war going on and you want my "able body" I'll say no thanks and point to my gaming group. "I'm already pretty unreliable." :p :)

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Nightfall said:
As always it boggles my mind that today's military (in any place) is against harmless fun. Why? because they don't understand it.

It's not that we do not understand fun. We do. ...snip...

As a side note, excessive political commentary goes against our policy of maintaining civil and on-topic discourse on these boards. If you have a bone to pick, please do it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Folks, there's been one post I've had to edit for excessively political content. We'd prefer to not see any more such, okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads