D&D 5E [GUIDE] Dealing Death: Handbook of the True Assassin

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hopefully someone is still using this like I am. Super noob first campaign. Its custom. I'm a lvl 2 fighter/1 rogue but I ended up with a sentient sword who doesn't like me to range. I got turned into a damphyre and can no longer heal. What would be the best way to keep with the true assassin theme while being primarily melee and not being able to be healed. I have a vampiric bite and a once a day use of 1d6 with my sentient sword. Help please, I love the true assassin theme but I'm new and get lost with so much info going around
With one more level of Rogue you get Cunning Action, which allows you to move in, smack somebody, and move back away (Disengage bonus action). Hide behind the group tank on the other fellow's turn.

Oh, and look up "Monty Haul" campaign. Your DM is throwing too much stuff at you too fast, you should not be race-changed nor dealing with will-of-its-own artifacts until you are comfortable working with the character you wanted to create.

Wileyone

First Post
It' been almost 35 years since I played D&D. My first venture back into the game, I selected a ranger (Gloom Stalker) in Icewind Dale. I like his abilities but by 5th level, I realized him damage output was lacking. So, after much research, especially studying this article) i have finalized on the following build (should he live): 5th level Gloom Stalker Ranger, 4th level Rogue Assassin, 8th level Divination Wizard, 3rd level Batle Master Fighter.

Ranger and Wizard levels give me lots of ways to get in and out for Assassination: Disguise Self, Umbral sight, Pass without Trace, Rope Trick, Invisability, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Misty Step, Dimension Door. I might take fly and/or Spider Climb.

SPOILER: My Icewind Dale background happen to come up as a DOPPELGANGER (chaotic good, raised as a human by his father a good ranger.). So Tongue spell and Actor feat are great also. He has a lot of ways to get in for the suprise attack. People will have a hard time keying in on him, or his tatics. If I can play him well, he will remain virtually unknown. He started with proficiency in stealth and deception and will pick up expertise in them also.

Damage output looks good with Shadow Blade, Ambush Attack (GS) + 2 attacks per attack action + Action Surge (5 Attacks Total) + sneak attack damage + superiority dice damage + Agility bonus (+3) each attack. Find Familiar "helps" with advantage.

I noticed that builds aboc

Wileyone

First Post
It' been almost 35 years since I played D&D. My first venture back into the game, I selected a ranger (Gloom Stalker) for the Icewind Dale adventurer. I like his abilities but by 5th level, I realized his damage output was lacking. So, after much research, and special thanks to this post, I have decided on the following build (should he live): 5th level Gloom Stalker Ranger, 4th level Rogue Assassin, 8th level Divination Wizard, 3rd level Battle Master Fighter.

Ranger and Wizard levels give me lots of ways to get in and out for Assassination: Disguise Self, Umbral sight, Pass without Trace, Rope Trick, Invisability, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Misty Step, Dimension Door. I might take fly and/or Spider Climb.

SPOILER: My Icewind Dale origin happen to come up as a DOPPELGANGER (chaotic good, raised as a human by his human father a good ranger.). So, the Tongue spell and Actor feat are great also. He has a lot of ways to get in for the suprise attack. People will have a hard time keying on one tatic, because he has so many options. If I play him well, he will remain virtually unknown. He started with proficiency in stealth and deception and will pick up expertise in them also.

Damage output looks good with Shadow Blade upcasting, Ambush Attack (GS) + 2 attacks per attack action + Action Surge (5 Attacks Total) + sneak attack damage + superiority dice damage + Agility bonus (+3) each attack all doubled by assassination. Find Familiar "helps" with advantage.

Remove ads