• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guilty Admissions...

BriarMonkey

First Post
I'm a monkey, and I:

...am not much of a reader, so I've never read any DL, FR, or most any fantasy books;
...do read programming and tech-geek manuals though;
...use Lego for my battle maps, scenery, and minis;
...think Kirk would kick Piccard's butt any day of the week;
...am sad because I haven't a gaming group;
...write web sites, applications, and tools to help with my GMing and campaigns, but only seem to get half-way done (because of the prior item);
...often, um, "freely interpret" die rolls when GMing;
...love Gnolls;
...love Wererats;
...often allow players too much latitude in games, causing confusion as there are too many options in the "sandbox";
...don't make my players use the letter of the law with Wishes, if I understand what they want, that's good enough;
...wish there was a real, good, necromancer class;
...did not like 2nd Edition D & D, nor 4th Edition, but did like 1st and 3.x and Pathfinder;
...like Red Dwarf (the series, not dwarves who happen to be sun-burnt);
...love Black Adder (and often throw lines about);
...love Monty Python (ditto);
...have a few superstitions with my dice - my DM sets do not get used by me as a player, nor do my player dice get used when I DM;

And, I like liver and onions, and brussel sprouts.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
I'm Bob, and (amongst other things) I...

* May be a Mutants & Masterminds grognard, in that so far, I think I'd rather play 2e than 3e.
* D&D isn't my favorite RPG
* I'm not sure it's even my favorite fantasy RPG
* Would post more to ENWorld, but for Websense and DNS restrictions at work. :angel:

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
d%

01-05. I like vampires. In fact when V:TM came out I stopped playing D&D for 7 years. And I don't think Twilight is that bad.

06-10. D&D magic is my least favorite type of magic, but it's still easier to use and deal with than Ars Magica, Mage, and Torg all of which I prefer.

11-15. Yes, I like Dark Sun, Spelljammer, the Forgotten Realms, and Buck Rogers XXVc.

15-20. My favorite all time setting is Empire of the Petal Throne and I've even ran (single) sessions in that world.

21-25. I actually did meet chicks gaming and dated one of them.

26-30. I've never read Harry Potter, only read the prolouge of the Crystal Shard, and I've only read two Dragonlance novels: The Legend of Huma and Kenders, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes

31-35. My ideal game is a mix of BECMI and 2nd Edition with a dash of 1st Edition and Skills and Powers.

36-40. That being said I have several game projects (including full games) that are still only partially done

41-50. I hate all attempts to rationalize Gamma World and just accept it as is (though my favorite is a mix of 3rd and 4th edition).

51-55. I hate playing unless I have a really strong character concept and tend to be a disruptive player unless I have a strong DM.

56-60. My best games I've run I had the barest skeleton of a plot and winged most of it. I love hearing my players guess at what is going to happen next, it's great when I'm stuck.

61-65. I have to watch how much I house rule stuff. I have about 20 different versions of the core classes somewhere on my harddrives.

66-70. I keep dice in my trunk along with several corebooks.

71-75. I also love Exalted, especially the Dragonblooded.

76-80. I have irritated game optimizers by making suboptimal feat and spell choices and have looked at them and said "So?"

81-85. I occasionally power game. Especially in 2nd Edition when I would take several rulebooks and cherry pick what I wanted.

86-90. I often make my bad guys almost impossible to beat physically but give them a weakness that will defeat them almost instantly. I want my players to think.

91-95. I own more books than most gaming stores. I don't really like 4e but I've bought $160 dollars worth of them.

96-99. Sword +2

00. Roll on table: Artifacts

nedjer

Adventurer
I am John and ...

-I don't like being a Nilbog.

-I was warned away from D&D by my parents for fear it would lead to demon posession.

-I suffered guilt attacks after sneaking into the lounge on Saturday mornings to watch Dungeons and Dragons cartoon on the telly, volume on minimum, face pressed up to the screen, finger hovering over the button to change the channel at the slightest sound of anyone else getting up. I truly feared for my soul ... but not half as much as I feared Dad's belt.

-My slide down the slippery slope began after playing Heroe Quest at a friend's house who lived down the road.

-I had several hiding places in my bedroom for the fantasy novels that I got on loan from the library. I would read them hidden inside the covers of 'safe' books.

-I made up my own RPG when I was 13 so that I could play guilt free with my friends. If I made the game up, it couldn't be considered D&D and hence I was safe from the Lake of Eternal Fire.

-D&D is the only thing I've ever remotely been addicted to, except maybe Coke (as in Cola).

-To this day, 25 years after they had that conversation with me, my parents still do not know that I play Dungeons and Dragons. They are also completely oblivious to the fact that it is their fault.

It's cool D&D provided an escape; but it's a pity they still don't know how very, very wrong they were.

Phaezen

Adventurer
Hi my name is Phaezen

• Phaezen is not my real name, but was the name of a character of mine
  • I cheat horribly both ways when I DM especially in combats to spice things up on occasion
  • Yet I have no issues with characters dying due to player stupidity
  • I am a mild power gamer, as I prefer my characters to be effective
  • I absolutely hate and despise people who make utterly ineffective characters to prove they are real roleplayers. If Sage McUseless cannot pull his weight in the monster infested dungeon he has no reason being there.
  • I play D&D 4th Ed but will play just about anything else if offered the opportunity, I love seeing how different systems handle different situations.

Padreigh

First Post
Oh, confession time ...

- I only keep playing D&D because no one in the country I am in has heard of my favourite system (and it seems there is no PbP for it, either)
- I really like dark elves, but I hate Drizzt from the bottom of my black heart
-I actually enjoyed the LoTR game published by Decipher
- I hate the term "story-telling system" and people who insist on using it
- I still think that "Birthright" was the coolest D&D setting

Edit: Forgot one:

-I hate 4E D&D. I can't give a reason, it has never done me any harm or hurt me. But if it had a face I'd probably hit it with a barstool and would show no regret in front of a jury of my peers. (And yes, I play 4E on the forum ... but only because it is the Enemy Within campaign. Nostalgia beats Hate anytime for me :) )

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Hi Everyone. I'm Tarion's Cousin. My username hearkens back to Erac's Cousin. If you know the reference, you win!

I hate:
  1. The original Greyhawk. It was full of politics and history. I just wanted to know what the towns looked like and where the PC's could go!
  2. Players who fudge their die rolls--whether I'm DM'ing or not. It drives me absolutely crazy.
  3. The fact that I couldn't use an apostrophe when making up my username here.
  4. Liver.
  5. Skinny halflings.
  6. My current living situation wherein I have a slow internet connection because my roommate is constantly eating up all the bandwidth (and denying it). :rant:
  7. Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.
  8. Being told as a player what my character "wants" to do. That's only okay if I'm being compelled by a spell or something. Otherwise it's just an excuse to railroad.
  9. Blondes. I've had terrible luck with them. Never again!

I like:
  • Mozzarella cheese--but it doesn't like me. :(
  • Dogs AND cats. Whoa!
  • The fact that so many well-known game designers post here. I'm looking at you Mouseferatu, Hellcow, Monkey King and Shemeska.
  • Forgotten Realms and Planescape. There's some great stuff in there.
  • Brunettes. Preferably ones that are smart and fun.
  • Oe, 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E, Trailblazer, Pathfinder, 4E, FATE games, Amber Diceless, and Castle Falkenstein.
  • Giving XP to Level 1 Posters

Last edited:

'allo my name is Megamania

I never thought I would DM / play in a game world better than Darksun

I never thought I would break down and use miniatures

I never thought I play beyond 2e rules

I always thought my Storyhours would be popular

I never thought there would be a 4e

and finally-

I feel Torg is the greatest game ever that never quite made it.

Azgulor

Adventurer
My name's Azgulor and I:

• Prefer sandbox & PC-driven gaming to GM-developed plot lines even though it's more work for me (the GM)
  • Don't think PCs have to have a 20 stat to be "viable"
  • Can't stand min/max-ers that think they can put a 7 in INT and then develop tactical plans that would do Patton & Napoleon proud. Or use a college-level vocabulary...
  • Can't stand min/max-ers that think they can put a 7 in CHA and think they can give Churchillian-like motivating speeches, bluff like a Con Man, and get the ladies like Don Juan.
  • Can't stand min/max-ers that react in shock when NPCs react to them in a fashion consistent with their dump stat.
  • Hate the X-mas Tree Effect
  • Think that game balance is a worthy design goal but it isn't a Commandment that must be followed at the game table.
  • Think that heroes aren't heroic when they only fight "balanced" or "level appropriate" encounters.
  • Liked the initial concept of Dark Sun but think the metaplot ruined the setting.
  • Love the original Ravenloft modules but thought the demiplane/realm concept was a nice idea but poorly implemented
  • Had no interest in Planescape
  • Despised the idea of Spelljammer
  • Liked Greyhawk
  • Like the Forgotten Realms until the Time of Troubles nonsense.
  • Love the OGL.
  • Think level-draining undead effects are stupid & meta-gamey but ability drain is ok.
  • Have never agreed with the idea that the population of any given fantasy world is comprised of 95+% 1st-level (or 0-level) NPCs.

Canor Morum

First Post
My name is Canor Morum...

I make up rules and lie about die rolls behind the screen.

I cut monster hit points if the battle is taking too long.

I am never well prepared for a game and make it up as I go.

I am terrible at coming up with names for npcs.

I prefer wilderness adventures over dungeons.

I sometimes get so drunk during a game that I can't DM.

I spend more time reading about D&D than I do playing it.

I have tons of old pewter minis that have never been painted.

I have spent over $600 on prepainted plastic D&D minis.

I won't use a monster in a game if I don't have a mini for it.

I bought the Castle Ravenloft board game and only played it a few times.

I played WoW to lvl 70 and AoC to lvl 80.

When I was 15, I played Vampire exclusively because I thought it was more mature and D&D was hack and slash.

Now that I'm 32, I play D&D exclusively and think Vampire is for teenagers.

Remove ads