GUMSHOE: Night's Black Agents - Tinker Tailor Vampire Die

writernextdoor

First Post
My apologies for the delay in updating this thread - it's been a busy campaign, and I'm behind on organizing the notes. I look to correct that later tonight and tomorrow.

[MENTION=40502]Pelgrane[/MENTION], I will definitely be sending you an email tomorrow with some DVD notes and ideas.

Pelgrane

First Post
My apologies for the delay in updating this thread - it's been a busy campaign, and I'm behind on organizing the notes. I look to correct that later tonight and tomorrow.

[MENTION=40502]Pelgrane[/MENTION], I will definitely be sending you an email tomorrow with some DVD notes and ideas.

Great - I look forward to it. I've been running the game myself and I found that they loved, loved safe houses and caches, usually combining them. We decided lip reading was a language slot and that the game needs a refresh summary sheet. They also decided that their safe meeting point, by coincidence, was the bad guys' HQ in Madrid. That was very funny.

Salad Shooter

First Post
I have to say, after reading this thread and playing in PirateCat's Boston GameDay game, I need to buy this game. We picked up most of the rules presented pretty quickly in the game, though I believe that there was a bunch held back just for ease of shoving us through a complete game in 4 hours.

Now, to line up the funds to buy the book...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've now run the same one-shot six or seven times, enough for me to get a feel of how different players handle the same situation. It's been surprisingly consistent, with some people being more tactically savvy than others. My favorite recent moment: the agent who used his MOS to disarm the nuclear bomb. As I counted down the seconds, he just nattered on, chatting to the other PCs who were busy panicking. Then, with one second left, he flips it off. Pure unadulterated style.

Also fun: stopping a car chase by hacking into the other car's On*Star.

Salad Shooter

First Post
I've now run the same one-shot six or seven times, enough for me to get a feel of how different players handle the same situation. It's been surprisingly consistent, with some people being more tactically savvy than others. My favorite recent moment: the agent who used his MOS to disarm the nuclear bomb. As I counted down the seconds, he just nattered on, chatting to the other PCs who were busy panicking. Then, with one second left, he flips it off. Pure unadulterated style.

Also fun: stopping a car chase by hacking into the other car's On*Star.

I couldn't very well allow the bomb to go be stopped at 30 seconds, could I? I mean...who saves the day with that much time left?

That game was just full of awesome moments. We had a couple big points burns, I think I did an 8pt Digital Intrusion spend, at some point.

I think we tried to stop the car chase with on-star, but since it had already been decided the other guy was driving a Yugo...so we had to opt for the "shoot out the back window and have an agent leap off the roof of our car and in through the window as the vehicles pass each other" approach. Complete with just barely shooting the tires out in time to prevent the car from crushing a bunch of school kids.

I enjoy how the system allows you to do cool things as a matter of course.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I enjoy how the system allows you to do cool things as a matter of course.

Me too - or rather, I like how the game lets you decide when what you do is awesome. It takes some getting used to, though. You saw that when [MENTION=88534]WalkingCorpse[/MENTION] tried to shoot out the car tires twice in a row and missed both times because he was 1 point short. It takes a leap of faith to err on the side of awesome.

writernextdoor

First Post
What consistently impresses me is how the system is not mechanically-limited. In other systems, engines and games, I'm in some ways restrained by what dice I've rolled, because when I rolled a 14 three months ago, that means now I only have a +1 to persuade to this guy to do what I want, even though I totally know what just to say.

Luck is still a factor for sure, but I can create more opportunities for myself and for the story (something talked about in today's blog post) when I know I'm not limited by own creation (the low roll from months past) and instead can operate within a range of success (the spends) PLUS the easy mechanics so that in the heat of the scene, I'm not reaching-across-the-table-to-get-the-red-lucky-die-and-not-put-my-finger-in-the-salsa. The emphasis goes on the scene, not John-playing-a-part-in-the-scene.

Awesome should breed awesome, and should encourage challenge so that best route of success is more awesome (which breeds awesome, and it all cycles around.)

Salad Shooter

First Post
Me too - or rather, I like how the game lets you decide when what you do is awesome. It takes some getting used to, though. You saw that when [MENTION=88534]WalkingCorpse[/MENTION] tried to shoot out the car tires twice in a row and missed both times because he was 1 point short. It takes a leap of faith to err on the side of awesome.

I think we spent points more freely as the game progressed. It might be different in a campaign that is ongoing, rather than a 4 hour power-through. We knew time was limited, and that this was going to not be an ongoing thing, so we had no qualms about burning through points faster than we were refreshing. It was also rather apparent that we had reached the end, and so we pretty much all burned our MOS within a 5 minute span. (and, after all, we did have a guy who was weeks from retirement...)

Pelgrane

First Post
I think we spent points more freely as the game progressed. It might be different in a campaign that is ongoing, rather than a 4 hour power-through. We knew time was limited, and that this was going to not be an ongoing thing, so we had no qualms about burning through points faster than we were refreshing. It was also rather apparent that we had reached the end, and so we pretty much all burned our MOS within a 5 minute span. (and, after all, we did have a guy who was weeks from retirement...)

What I've found happens in a longer term game is that characters are very careful with their points until the action kicks off, then they splurge. Usually they are in deep trouble at that point, and then it's a race to safety - usually a safe house and a cache, using Preparedness - so that they can refresh General abilities. In a game based on the Conspyramid backdrops, plus Vampyramid reactions, it's quite hard to decide what the end of an operation is - the time when they refresh all their investigative pools. With so many leads, even core clues at the strategic level become less defined - but finding important stuff in a room, they are still essential.

writernextdoor

First Post
A very anticipated update

((GM Notes are in double parentheses))
[Mechanical notes are in braces]

((This is a long update - sorry for the delay, but because this game covers not just tabletop play, but also email and google chats, there's a lot of information to disseminate.))

It all started with a wrong number. Rossini was at home, doing dishes and laundry, when the phone rang, and a panicked woman, crying and obviously scared, began pleading for her life and a rescue, not necessarily in that order. The phone call clicked off just after Rossini heard the cutting buzz of a power tool in the background.

Rossini called Anna who had a friend at the phone company [2 point Network spend] who traced the call to a building downtown, near Nick's apartment. Rossini gave Anna a description of what he heard, and they both agreed that they should involve Nick.

Nick wasn't at home when they arrived, he was out with Mike ((who has begun referring to his character as Mike-Smith, to distinguish from all the 'Mike' NPCs)), at the gym, engaged in a rather vigorous workout/stare-at-the-pilates-class combo. But the four agents reconnected quickly and after debating just how armed they should be ((recent events left them feeling very under-prepared, so I take that as a sign I was doing things right)), the team settled on just handguns for now, and extreme caution.

The building Anna's contact gave was an office building under renovation. It seemed to Rossini to be entirely possible that power tools could be found here, the agents found dozens of toolboxes, extension cords and construction materials littering the place. With a little thinking [2 point Infiltration spend] they traced the phone lines up two floors.

But they didn't find the girl. They didn't even find the corpse of a girl. All they found were fifteen phones arrayed in a bank and all wired to different laptops, all running software that re-routed calls. [this was confirmed by a 1 point Digital Intrusion spend]

Not wanting the sit and watch Alice hack through all the phones, Mike-Smith did what seemed normal - he pressed redial on one of them.

Imagine his surprise when someone answered. It was an embassy office fifteen blocks away. The Peruvian embassy in fact. And the voice on the other end belonged to a very haggard clerk who had spent the last 30 hours preparing for a reception of the South American Antiquities Committee ((which immediately was called SACK by the players)) who were unveiling a series of new books and tablets thought to be proto-Mayan.

Desdemona stepped in and unleashed a volley of feminine wiles [4 point Flirting spend, 3-point Cover spend, 2-point Disguise spend by Mike-Smith ((who was shocked that he had 2 points in Disguise at all))] and secured seats at the party and unveiling for the Lady Dagmar, Baroness of Furvustajd "it's a private island, like Iceland, but without all the banking trouble" and her party (A driver (Rossini), a bodyguard (Mike-Smith), and a publicist (Nick))

Anna elected to go as a journalist [3 point Cover] for Famous Old Things Monthly "it's a 'zine, you've probably never heard of it." and would meet the party there once she talked to Mace.

SIDE BAR -- While the others strategized and speculated, Mace and Anna met at headquarters because Anna had previously heard of SACK [2-point Research spend] and knew them to be a cover for person-smuggling, and figured that was what could have happened to her sister. ((Mace hasn't told her the truth yet)).

Mace did some additional digging [2 point Research spend, 3 point Network spend] to reveal that SACK was also loosely affiliated to the jewel thief of past adventures [CORE CLUE] and could reveal critical intel on Project Blue Book.

more shortly.....

Remove ads