• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gunpowder in your games

Arnwyn

First Post
Gunpowder? No. Forgotten Realms (magical) smokepowder? Heck yeah!

Arrrgh matey! Break out them starwheel pistols, and avast!

Estlor

Explorer
The last time I DMed a Mystara campaign the characters spent some time in the Savage Coast. We had a swashbuckling ranger/fighter in the party that had two wheellocks and a rapier. He'd always use the guns first in battle, but only ever reloaded them if he was at a safe distance from his target.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
In the last campaign I ran, I let the elven bard PC carry and use a unique rifle. It attacked as a touch attack but could only fire every other round (d12 damage). I figured either do it that way or be prepared to have firearms in a campaign that never get used because a bow will always be so much better.

Unfortunately, the end result was probably worse: it got boring for the player because he only got to attack every other round, and with his high Dex he hit pretty much every time.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I use gunpowder. I use psionics, too.

My campaign setting isn't your average fantasy world. I'm quite tired of dealing with the same old Tolkien-esque crap... my parents put a world like that together, and I decided that it was too cliche.

I use gunpowder, because my world has an unusual power structure: rather than your typical arcane/divine/psionics system, I have a magic/psionics/technology structure. Divine magic isn't really magic, either, IMC.

I still use some Tolkien elements, such as elves, dwarves, and all that... but they're not used in the traditional sense. I also use orcs, goblins, and kobolds as normal PC races, IMC.

I use gunpowder, but it's not broken or too overpowering. Fighters and those who are knowledgeable in technology (read: only technological classes) can use them, and fighters require feats for it. Add to that that TR (Technology Resistance) also works against firearms, and that all spellcasting classes and psionic classes have TR 5 + caster/manifester levels, and firearms become a less than optimal choice, in some situations.

Gunpowder is good.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
I use gunpowder. I use psionics, too.

My campaign setting isn't your average fantasy world. I'm quite tired of dealing with the same old Tolkien-esque crap... my parents put a world like that together, and I decided that it was too cliche.

I use gunpowder, because my world has an unusual power structure: rather than your typical arcane/divine/psionics system, I have a magic/psionics/technology structure. Divine magic isn't really magic, either, IMC.

I still use some Tolkien elements, such as elves, dwarves, and all that... but they're not used in the traditional sense. I also use orcs, goblins, and kobolds as normal PC races, IMC.

I use gunpowder, but it's not broken or too overpowering. Fighters and those who are knowledgeable in technology (read: only technological classes) can use them, and fighters require feats for it. Add to that that TR (Technology Resistance) also works against firearms, and that all spellcasting classes and psionic classes have TR 5 + caster/manifester levels, and firearms become a less than optimal choice, in some situations.

Gunpowder is good.

This sounds like an interesting campaign. What technological classes do you use? I'd definitely like to incorporate gunpowder and technology into my homebrew, if I ever get a chance to run it. :)

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
MeepoTheMighty said:
This sounds like an interesting campaign.

Thanks. :)

What technological classes do you use?

I'm using classes that I myself wrote up, as well as a set of technology rules that I've been working on for quite awhile. I'm hoping to get it all published when it's finally done...

I'd definitely like to incorporate gunpowder and technology into my homebrew, if I ever get a chance to run it. :)

It is a rewarding experience. It's another thing to surprise the party with, and adds to their options, as well. :)

Privateer

First Post
the Jester said:
there's a spell- distill sunlight- that lets his clerics turn sunlight into a volatile, very flammable sort of improved holy water. It evaporates quickly, however.

Could you post the stats on the spell, the distilled sunlight, and the sunpowder? Or do you have a website where this is contained? I love the idea, and I may incorporate it into my campaign... heh heh heh, look at what those orc-ies got...

mmadsen said:
A huge element of fantasy is that it takes place in a mythic, pre-modern, pre-rationalist world. Gunpowder violently exemplifies modernity.
No, it's not. That's only one sub-genre of fantasy at best. And guns have been with us for centuries; they're not exactly modern.

I mean, I'm not trying to be argumentative -- I know what you mean (even though the rational seems to dry up the more you poke at it) I just find it very confining. Fantasy is not equal to Tolkienian fantasy. After all, Stephen King's Dark Tower series is clearly fantasy, as is Star Wars.

Last edited:

Remove ads