• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guns in D&D?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
So I'm in the process of working up a homebrew setting for my future games, and I've hit the point where I've got to consider the level of technology. I'd like to stay with the "classic" D&D level technology, but I'm debating having flintlocks as a fairly uncommon weapon.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have done this? How did it work out?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I use the Iron Kingdoms weapons rules for firearms in my own world. I think they work just fine - they work best as weapons you'd fire at the beginning of a combat and then holster (since reloading takes a standard action). I'm pretty happy with it.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've used them, and they worked well. I even made them Simple Ranged Weapons. It's good for a short-range one-shot (or two-three shot for the people carrying a brace of pistols), then it's back to swords. They really saw more use as things to scare horses, and as signalling devices.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let's see.

Iron Kingdoms

Monte Cook's website had some opposite of Chaositech with Law (guns!)

Old dragon article by Roger Moore on Guns

Swashbuckling Adventurers (how can you not love the duckfoot gun?)

Arcanis

Yeah, I like guns. I keep 'em out of my Greyhawk campaign though as they just don't fit that setting but Spelljammer (the Giff!), Forgotten Realms, parts of Ravenloft, etc... get the full gun treatment.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Green Ronin's Freeport setting also uses guns. I prefer their rules to the Iron Kingdoms.

I also recommend Monte Cook's article (the .pdf is free for download), which just has some good advice about whether one would treat them as simple or exotic and the impacts of such a decision.

glass

(he, him)
Sir Brennen said:
I also recommend Monte Cook's article (the .pdf is free for download), which just has some good advice about whether one would treat them as simple or exotic and the impacts of such a decision.
Link?

glass.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Quick-and-dirty rule:

Make a flintlock or matchlock-style pistol the damage equivalent of a heavy crossbow, half the range, same reload times, usable one-handed, requiring Exotic Weapon Proficiency; rifle ditto statwise, but with 1.5x the range and two-handed. Disallow Rapid Reload (assume that proficiency includes the quick-reload training of a musketeer); without proficiency, assume reloading takes two full rounds.

-The Gneech :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads