• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gunslinger in core?

Should Gunslingers be core 5E?

• Yes. Gunslinging in core!

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • No. Gunslinging not an option at all.

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Maybe as an option at a later date.

Votes: 77 64.2%

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
The gunslinger was introduced to Pathfinder a while back with the Ultimate Combat supplement and it's been a popular addition to D&D. Even before Paizo introduced it there was a large calling among fans for firearm rules (especially in Eberron)

I think it should be core in 5E to prove that WotC is actually serious aboot 5E being as inclusive as possible. Is it just me? Or do others want to see firearm rules in 5E too?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I think it should be core in 5E to prove that WotC is actually serious aboot 5E being as inclusive as possible. Is it just me? Or do others want to see firearm rules in 5E too?

Me personally, no, I don't. But, if they are there, I can easily ignore them. "Guns/firearms don't exist." Easy enough.

Agamon

Adventurer
Hmmm. Taking D&D back to it's roots probably doesn't involve core rules for using firearms. And please, don't point out any tables from the 1e DMG to me, I know what's in there...I'm just saying, guns are not the essence of D&D.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
No, I don't want a gunslinger class. Nor do I want a "swordsman" class, or a "jouster" class.

Assuming they have rules for firearms in core D&D, which would not be new, since both the 1st edition AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide and the 2nd Edition PHB included them, the use of a gun doesn't require its own class. The proper class name for all of the above is "Fighter".

Guns don't work all that well with the attritional style of combat in D&D anyway.

In addendum, the inclusion of the Gunslinger in Pathfinder is popular in some quarters, but it's also very controversial. It's not been embraced with open arms by the community. This has to do with both tone, and rules. The Pathfinder firearms rules are really bad, specifically the rule of them using touch attacks.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Not sure why the first post mentions Eberron... Guns really wouldn't fit in the basic assumptions of that setting. Isn't it the Forgotten Realms that makes (magical) gunpowder a part of the setting?

Anyways, while I'm not sure I want to see gun slinging, I do want to see era-appropriate guns, firearms, and cannons in D&D. It is a historical anachronism that D&D allows the sort of military technology seen in the basic equipment list but doesn't have firearms. Also, they would be a fun addition. No need for a dedicated gun-using class, but I would like to see an Archer class that could use bows, crossbows, slings, and guns. No need to make the Fighter the only skilled weapon user...

Tortoise

First Post
I'm not in favor of it as a core class. Rules for firearms should go into the DMG though, so they can be added to a setting if the DM feels they are appropriate for his/her campaign.

Ditto.

Firearms are a weapon, not something that should be restricted to a single class. Either include them in the DMG or a later weapon related suppliment.

I have run Ptolus which has firearms. If I run it again I can modify those rules, but it would be nice to have the math done for me to fit the system being used.

Tallifer

Hero
As long as it is not called a Gunslinger. No cowboys in my fantasy please. I also think that was the name of a 1966 comedy episode of Doctor Who about the OK Corral.

I would however like to see some magical dwarven guns in Eberron. And maybe in a Mad Max version of Dark Sun.

Deadboy

First Post
I would love a gunslinger class in the game, but definitely not in the first rulebook and maybe not in the first few years. But sooner or later some kind of inclusion of both primitive firearms and western-style firearms for those DMs who want to get away from bog-standard fantasy in their games, along with a class based around using them, would be a welcome addition.

With firearms you could model the Dark Tower series, make something Steampunk-like, run a pirates campaign that actually includes all the tropes of the setting, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads