• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gurps or Hero for supers game?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've long prefered Hero over GURPS, but I'm not familiar with the latest version of either. There was nothing much to choose between Hero 4th, 5th & 5th Revised - they were all quite good, just less Steve Long wordiness to plow through the farther back you went. 6th is supposed to be different - for better or worse I can't say. I was sufficiently apalled by the first two versions of GURPS to give up on it. GURPS was like Hero, if you had carefully combed through Hero and removed everything remotely workable, then added in profoundly detailed mechanics to do every little thing you might ever want to do for the given genre being emulated. I hear the 4th Ed of GURPS was much improved, though. And the GURPS world-books have always been detailed (and how) and very well-researched. I do own some GURPS suplements - they're excellent resources, like if you were specifically doing Wildcards, it'd be well worth it.

Bottom line, for supers, I doubt you can do better than Hero 4th - and 5th/Revised isn't really doing any worse. If you can pick up any of those cheap, go for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The main difference between HERO 6th and all previous editions is that all of the derived stats are now bought the same as everything else- meaning several loopholes for powergamers have been closed. ECs are gone as well, as I recall.

Thus, on the whole, 6th may well be the most balanced edition the game has seen.

Thanee

First Post
I would also put HERO on the top spot for supers.

It is just awesome, once you have learned how it works (which takes some time).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads