• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax doesn't matter?

Delta

First Post
Harr said:
It just got me to thinking. I really did feel very sad when I heard Gygax passed. I even shed a few tears. When I read that post by Rouse confirming that 4th would be dedicated to him, I genuinely felt a surge of emotion. It was real.

Now I read this, it's very logical and cold, and I myself am usually a logical and cold person. I find myself torn between the two sides. I don't know what to think, really. Do we really feel a connection to this man, or are we just 'clinging'? Is it normal to want to honor and praise the man for his contribution to our life, or are we deluding ourselves to a certain extent?

Hey, you've just pushed a red-button issue for me. As a fellow logical, cold, historically conflicted person (when it comes to dealing with the society of people), I've become fiercely protective about one point of personal philosophy I've constructed over time.

YOUR FEELINGS ARE LEGITIMATE. Yours. Not necessarily someone else's. You'll feel sad and morose and depressed, and happy and bemused and confused over different things from other people. You'll mourn lost family & friends in a different fashion from other people. It may be shorter or much, much longer.

You should feel sad at the loss of people who touched you in this life. It shouldn't be easy to shrug off and forget people who said or wrote something that meant a lot to you. You should be connecting with smart, intense people who are so potent that their loss leaves a big gap in your life. Life lived otherwise isn't really very worthwhile.

So I say, *F* this guy. He doesn't get to talk you out of your emotions. Whatever you're feeling is legitimate and nothing to be ashamed of. If you shed a few tears, then yes, you really did feel a connection to this guy. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you can't feel a certain way. It's about the dumbest thing (and biggest waste of time, because at some point you'll just wind up realizing that you really did feel that way) anyone can do to you.

There's my pep talk from one geek to another for the day. Your feelings are different from most folks'. And that makes them even more worthwhile.

Last edited:

BadMojo

First Post
Gary Gygax helped create something that made a lot of people happy, made a lot of them smile. Isn't that enough?

So, all of the things I learned, directly and indirectly, from roleplaying games didn't have any influence on who I am now? That's completely ridiculous.

I can honestly say that I don't care if my hobby is nerdy. I think I got past feelings like that a decade or two ago. The guy who wrote that blog entry is ascribing motive to an awful lot of people. He should probably let them know. Maybe he can send them all a letter.

Besides, if not for Gary Gygax that dude probably wouldn't be spending his time making games that nobody plays or buys. Wait...

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think the only reason Matt Snyder has a bug up is arse is because he is envious of the position that Gary Gygax holds in the eyes of the world. Gary was the "first" role playing game designer and in the eyes of many that means he is one of the greatest, especially since he himself gained "cult" status. I'm pretty sure that that realization is painful to Matt Snyder and everyone who is envious of Gary's notoriety because from now and until everyone who is currently living is dead, no one will replace Gary in terms of being the most famous/influential person in the (non digital) roleplay gaming industry.

Gary's brainchild IS the source of our medium. Gary IS a legend and in starwars terms, he has become one with the force (known as Dungeons and Dragons roleplay gaming)..

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I find it weird a rpg game designer would claim Gary Gygax has had no effect on his life or at least he does not care.
But, I’m so far disinterested in whether Mr. Gary Gygax the nerd celebrity is no longer here. He hasn’t been relevant to me since about 1989. Who cares? Not me. Obviously, lots of other people care. Good for them.
Oddly, the author claims to want to make the hobby mainstream. Personally, I cannot think of a soul who brought rpgs closer to the mainstream than EGG. Massive sales, a cartoon, novels, comic books, play action toys, and more. In short, he took it from a very small subculture to one of the more popular pasttimes in the world.

I understand not openly grieving or mourning EGG, but not appreciating his legacy on his passing shows an ignorance of his effect on today's mainstream culture. This certainly was not just another guy from Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Woas

First Post
Felix said:
His games have progressed from "Games I Didn't Know About, And So Wouldn't Have Bought" to "Games Made By Someone I'd Rather Not Give Money To".

So, does this article make it a "Win" for him?

I guess so. It is sort of the point of the message.

The Levitator

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Who the hell is Matt Snyder? :\

I'm going to do my best to keep my emotions in check and not say here what I really think of the guy, but if you really want to know, or you want to respond to him personally, the OP's link goes to the guy's homepage.

His personal feelings aside, what bothers me is his logic. I knew a girl that went to high school with my younger sister who had been raped, and was considering killing herself. While she was contemplating whether or not to do it, she started watching the movie "Heathers". For whatever reason (she never really explained it to me), she credits that movie as the thing that made her change her mind and saved her life. Did a silly movie actually save her life? I don't know, but she thinks it did and she's still alive. Isn't that the important part? I can't follow the logic of someone who claims that something must be regarded as important by the entire world to be deemed worthy of importance by an individual. People attach different levels of importance and meaning to everything in their lives. How many people in the world were inspired by a movie, or a book, or a game, or a car, or a job, or something else considered relatively trivial by someone else? People get inspiration from just about anything. If those people feel that their lives are enriched as a result of being inspired from whatever, what motive does any other person really have for attacking them for it?

Roleplaying directly contributed to my ability to deal with physical and sexual abuse, the bitter divorce of my parents and the death of my grandfather, all within the span of a couple years. I wasn't an outcast. I was one of the most popular kids in my school. I was a top student and played 3 different sports. I wasn't an outcast. I never "worshipped" Gary Gygax. But I always respected him for creating a hobby. I was grateful to find this "game", and happy to have had the opportunity to shake his hand, and I was glad to have roleplaying as a coping mechanism to handle a very rough childhood. Sure, it could have been anything else that could have gotten me through that time in my life if D&D didn't exist. But this Matt Snyder misses the entire point. For me, it was D&D that helped me through that time in my life. Role-playing is a part of my lifestyle. But so is being a professional entertainer and playing drums in a metal band. Does any single thing in my life define me? No, of course not. Again, Mr. Snyder's logic is lost on me. The thought that he has the market cornered on what should be defined as a worthy lifestyle just reeks of a bigoted and ignorant attitude.

Maybe the fact that Mr. Snyder is apparently connected to the gaming design world (I'm no gaming expert, but I haven't heard of a single thing he's credited for). Maybe it's the fact that many people reading this have no idea who he is and he's having to read page after page about someone in the game design industry that people actually care about and respect. Even if he isn't envious and suffering from severe inadequacies in regard to Gary Gygax, his article makes him sound like he is. I don't get the impression that this single article is an isolated incident. I skimmed through other articles and got the impression that he is very confident of his own opinions and does try to make some kind of distinction that he "isn't one of them". I found the whole webpage kind of sad really. To have such abrasive opinions towards those in your field much more successful, much more well known and much more respected is just plain awful.

I guess I'm one of those weirdo's he seems to be alluding to, and his article didn't affect me at all, other than to feel like he owes me an hour of my life back. I'm very secure with my life and my lifestyle. I don't have the need to belittle others in my field in order to feel better about myself. I don't disrespect people who have contributed to something that is important to me and my life. I am glad I'm not Matt Snyder. :\

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads