• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HackMaster GM Shield - You GOTTA See This!

Hard8Staff

First Post
Couple things:

First, I was in error (yeah, hard to believe, I know). The tour does seem to show all the panels. Apparently I've developed left-click deficit syndrome or spazzed out and missed 2 sets of panels.

Second, the 1" of clearance is a massive amount of space with regard to the "flips". It's plenty more than 1" if you keep your larger books 1-1.5" from the base of the screen. Since the flips are hinged at the top, they arc up creating plenty of "book room" in a very small space. The swings are harder, but you may not need to change modes as often. Finally, the screen itself eliminates the need for so many books, so the problem should be somewhat mitigated for many GMs.

Dave

Hard8Staff

First Post
<<Dave, I just want to tell you that this Shield is art.>>

Thanks!!! Jiffy Burke and the Fraims (see KODT: Illustrated) did the pretty work.

<<Dude, you guys are marketing geniuses. This thing alone makes me wanna run Hackmaster. >>

Thanks, but actually we suck at marketing. We excel at making the best damn products. That's what happens when designers get control of a company...they make great stuff that's too costly to manufacture, but they persoanlly think is kewl. Such as the GM Shield, almost a million words and 750 pages in the PHB&GMG, GV is easily worth 3x the cost, KODT is $2.99 and around 80 pages per month, etc.

We squeek by because you guys spread the word. If we had some real slick marketing types, we could probably sell triple what we do. But until then we'll have to be satsfied being the best kept secret.

;)

Thanks again for all the kind words!

David

omedon

First Post
This shield is great. It makes me a little sad though because I don't play HackMaster, I just barely have enough time to play D&D 3E.

But there seems to be great demand for a good DM Shield. I myself have avoided WotC's flimsy screens which don't offer the protection I require. I need a shield, something that will be able to withstand a barrage flying dice from a group of angry players, not a wimpy screen that will topple over at the slightest breeze.

Please, please, please put out a D20 KoK Shield, and fill it with enough generic D&D info that it will be useful for everyone. By what I see on this thread such a product should go over well.

Last edited:

kenzerjamie

First Post
GM Shield

One additional thought regarding the GM Shield and flipping panels. I've used the shield already and clearing dice and books is not a problem. As has already been mentioned, there is a 1" clearance for the flip panels. In addition, the pages have a little bit of "play" to them so you can easily get an inch and a half clearance close to the binding of the shield and much more than that farther from the binding. Also, if you have a big load behind the shield, you can tip it forward slightly. Even a couple of degrees of tip will yield lots of clearance.

I've used the actual shield in actual play. Trust me, the flipping is not a problem. The real problem with the shield is when your players have to bodily drag you away from the game because you don't want to stop playing because that means leaving this shield behind. I suggest carrying it around and setting it up in non-gaming situations...at the bank, grocery store, work, class, etc.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Hard8Staff said:
<<Dave, I just want to tell you that this Shield is art.>>

Thanks!!! Jiffy Burke and the Fraims (see KODT: Illustrated) did the pretty work.

I'm honestly a little eyebrow-raisey about the way-oversaturated colors. Fraims are terrific, as always.

What I meant is that the SHIELD is art. It's such a beautiful remodeling of the GM screen concept that it's almost a *new idea*. I love it.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Re: GM Shield

kenzerjamie said:
Also, if you have a big load behind the shield, you can tip it forward slightly.

<snicker snicker>

Moving right along...

Great reply, guys! Thanks for the setting my fears at rest.

I have a couple more questions!

1) Was it hard to find a printer to put this together for you?

2) WHEN WILL YOU MAKE A d20 SHIELD USING THE SRD!?!?! YOU MUST!

In general, I don't use the tables on a GM shield at all. My usual MO is to learn the places in the rulebooks where the rule I am looking for is found, and I almost never even notice the stuff on the screen. But if you could make a screen that really captures everything d20 on it, THEN I would make the switch over and really start using the shield the way God (or at least the gods at Kenzer) intended!

Wulf

bolen

First Post
What is HM specific, how much of it could be used for D20.

are there any plans to do one like this for Kalamar

Last edited:

Hattersai

First Post
Now I can finally play Hackmaster the way it is meant to be.

Screen Monkey be I...

Good work yet again Kenzer and Co...i would list you all individually but there are too many...which is a good thing.

Remove ads