• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(HackMaster) The Hacklopedia of Beasts - the most awesome monster manual ever

KJSEvans

First Post
Hi folks,

I'm just wondering who here has bought the HoB, which is available as a pre-order at the Kenzer & Co website. I'm a huge fan of the system, but even if you're not it's hard to dispute how great the new HoB looks. It's going to be more than 400 pages of full color, masterfully drawn beasts and nasty creatures. It includes full details on where the creatures are most prevalent (in terms of climate and terrain), their combat/tactics, and - in the case of the more advanced creatures, like orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, elves, dwarves and more, their culture and society.

On top of that, the common combat stats are very neatly spelled out, from attack and damage to treasure yield, medicinal value, and spell components. It really is a marvel, and it is undoubtedly the coolest beast book I've ever read. (Point of fact, it is in general a pleasure to read, unlike most gaming books I've come across.)

Probably the neatest thing about buying the book now is that, for who knows how much longer, Kenzer & Co has a beta pdf that they give to anybody who pre-orders the book. This pdf is updated sporadically, meaning that when they find and fix that inevitable errata, you'll be able to download the improved version to your computer. I have no idea as to how much longer the pdf is going to be available as a pre-sale add-on, but if you are like me and find yourself with some Christmas cash in your pocket, the $60 for the HoB should be more than worth your consideration.

Here's a demo for what every entry is going to look like: http://www.kenzerco.com/free_files/sturm_wolf.pdf

Anyway, I know I'm coming on a bit strong but I really love this book. I don't work for Kenzer, I'm just an enthusiastic fan ... check it out!

Hard8Staff

First Post
Wow...that post read like a sales pitch, thanks Kurt.

I think we posted another monster preview or two. Will look for a link later.

HC book will be out this spring (right now just PDF available)

KJSEvans

First Post
Wow...that post read like a sales pitch, thanks Kurt.

I think we posted another monster preview or two. Will look for a link later.

HC book will be out this spring (right now just PDF available)

Yeah, I find it hard not to gush about the HoB. I actually chose to omit the paragraph in which I described how the HoB was sure to increase the endurance and strength of any who buys it (due to it being so big and heavy with awesome monstrous details) and how it could serve as an energy supplement (as it is sure to excite and energize anybody who reads it, filling them with a desire to play hours and hours of HackMaster without rest).

Come to think of it... maybe you should give the book a warning label. Most addictive items have one.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Ditto for Pathfinder.

HOLY CRAP, I dont play Hackmaster but I might be picking up this book ANYWAY. THAT'S how much I like the layout of what theyre doing.

NICE WORK GUYS.

Like the folks at Kenzer and have a ton of their stuff, but I'm not sure how useful this would be for me.

Falstaff

First Post
Hello - I preordered this book and have the pdf. Simply put: after reading through the HoB I dropped my current D&D campaign and now our group's official game is HackMaster. The RPG is awesome too. Give it a try.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Press releases - which is really what this is, official or not - go in the Industry/Publishers forum. Vrroom, off we go!

KJSEvans

First Post
Press releases - which is really what this is, official or not - go in the Industry/Publishers forum. Vrroom, off we go!

I posted a thread in which I exclaim my love for a product, while providing tremendous detail as to why, and that makes it a press release?

How terribly disappointing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads