• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(HackMaster) The Hacklopedia of Beasts - the most awesome monster manual ever

That is a simple yet effective table, I think you need that sort of thing (I ran it on scratch paper, but looked a lot like yours just scrawled down). Otherwise it will be too easy with bigger groups to forget where you are and stuff. With the count system you absolutely have to stick to it, cries of 'oh I forgot my attack was the last count' would be replied with 'tough you can go this count'. I bet the PCs would pay more attention then ;)

TanisFrey

First Post
That is a simple yet effective table, I think you need that sort of thing (I ran it on scratch paper, but looked a lot like yours just scrawled down). Otherwise it will be too easy with bigger groups to forget where you are and stuff. With the count system you absolutely have to stick to it, cries of 'oh I forgot my attack was the last count' would be replied with 'tough you can go this count'. I bet the PCs would pay more attention then ;)
I have forced my DM to back up the count when he skips ahead to much. At some point in the fights we have played, every one is finished maneuvering and is just waiting for the count to reach their next attack. At this point the DM decides to jump up skipping some counts, some times too fast because I wanted to do something at some point. He has learned to at this point in an encounter that has become a slug fest to ask when everyone wants to jump the count to, so we don't force him to back up because he skipped over a count someone cared about.

Another good point about the system. No single weapon dominates as the weapon best weapon. Every weapon has a balance of damage vs weapon speed vs reach vs cost vs type vs amount of BP needed to be proficient. There are clear looser weapons like the staff, does 2d4p with a weapon speed of 13, but on one clear weapon that will be the dominate weapon of the game. In 3.5 the Long sword and shield or 2-handed sword dominate game play, this will not be true in Hackmaster Basic.

Wraith101

First Post
Always been a fan of KenzerCo and I would pre-order this in a second but for one thing.

$60 for the book.
$42 for postage (I am Australian).

There is no way I am paying $42 postage.

Enough said I guess.

KJSEvans

First Post
Always been a fan of KenzerCo and I would pre-order this in a second but for one thing.

$60 for the book.
$42 for postage (I am Australian).

There is no way I am paying $42 postage.

Enough said I guess.

Ouch!

Hopefully you have an FLGS that you can turn to in this, your time of need. :)

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
What Kurt said. International shipping is expensive, unfortunately, especially when dealing with heavy RPG material. US Postal Service Flat Rate boxes ($45.50) are the best in most cases, but if anyone knows of something better I'd love to hear about it.

Wraith101

First Post
Amazon carries some KenzerCo stuff, so they will probably get the HoB (or for that matter, my LGS). I won't get any beta .pdf with those though.
*sigh*

Anyway, back to the book. Very impressive looking!

Yeah I was umming and ahhing about that shipping, but I couldn't resist. I have read the PDF, has just made me want MOAR hackmaster stuff, if it keeps this quality.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads