• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hackmaster won an ORIGINS award in 2001

First of all, I find it suspicious that this comment comes to light all these years later

...just as we have the parallel of an awards ceremony where a product which is a continuation of an earlier edition of D&D wins many important awards.

Therefore, I'll say that while I do not like the ideas behind Pathfinder and do not currently play it, I can readily recognize its superior production values and quality, and therefore I believe its many awards are well deserved.

Any company who raises the bar in quality RPG products like Paizo deserves every award it gets. Companies like these force all others to improve their products and give us even better games, year after year.

he's also the guy who was working on an expansion to SOTC, a pulp game, called "New Horizons", whose central premise was that pulps are racist trash and need to be "reinvented" to teach gamers proper PC attitudes.

Here is a link to an official blurb for those wondering about this statement.

Driving Blind - New Horizons: A Supplement for Spirit of the Century

Having read that link, I find New Horizons interesting... I don't see any allegation by the author that "pulps are racist trash", rather I see the admission that the commonly held values in the early 20th century are different to our own and that he (and apparently others) wanted to explore those differences in their games.

Many late 1800 - early 1900 works, while they might seem racist or sexist by our own standards, were actually pretty advanced for its day.

H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain speaks thus about gentlemen:

"What is a gentleman? I don't quite know, and yet I have had to do with [REDACTED]— no, I'll scratch that word out, for I don't like it. I've known natives who are, and so you'll say, Harry, my boy, before you're done with this tale, and I have known mean whites with lots of money and fresh out from home, too, who ain't."
--Allan Quatermain (1887)

Last edited:

How can (some) people whose hobby still invites a fair amount of mockery from the general public (ex: my wife --though to be fair it's mockery tempered with love) be so thin-skinned (and yet fat-bearded)?

<King of Siam>'Tis a puzzlement!</King of Siam>
This thread is like a microcosm of all the problems one sees repeatedly at ENWorld.

On topic, my interactions with Baugh over the years on various internet forums (mostly rpg.net, where he used to be a regular) have been nothing but pleasant. Struck me as a nice guy.

Ariosto

First Post
Hobo said:
On topic, my interactions with Baugh over the years ... have been nothing but pleasant.Struck me as a nice guy.
I did not know the topic was your interactions with Baugh. I thought it was his writing that people who considered Hackmaster -- rather than his game, or one of the others he favored -- the best of 2001
Baugh said:
...made asses of themselves... [should] apologize, and get a clue... [are] the terminally retrograde
and further that
Baugh said:
I do not wish the patronage of anyone so fundamentally clueless as yourself.

Nikchick

Explorer
Sadly I find I have not been boycotting Mr. Baugh's work as I do own Hunter: The Reckoning. But now that I know what he said (and knowing is half the battle), I'll probably be less inclined to buy other things with his name on them. Like True20 Adventure Roleplaying.

This is extra funny considering that 1) True20 was released in 2005 and 2) Bruce's contribution was to submit one of the winning entries in Green Ronin's setting search contest.

Boycotting True20 to get back at Bruce is not exactly the most direct way to make the point.

But hey, don't let me stand in the way of a good rant or anything. ;)

Wicht

Hero
This is extra funny considering that 1) True20 was released in 2005 and 2) Bruce's contribution was to submit one of the winning entries in Green Ronin's setting search contest.

Boycotting True20 to get back at Bruce is not exactly the most direct way to make the point.

But hey, don't let me stand in the way of a good rant or anything. ;)

I didn't really mean to come off as ranting. The line about "not boycotting as I should" was slightly tongue in cheek and "less inclined" should be read as: His telling me not to buy his product annoyed me enough that if I notice his name and have a choice between two books and only money enough for one, I'd probably go with the other. I do believe those who say he can come across as a pretty nice fellow overall and I did like Hunter, and I have no personal ill will towards the man. I just find people who are dismissive of the opinions of others to the point of not wanting their business and saying so publically to be offputting. Still, sorry to hear he has health problems and all.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
"You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to Wicht again."

You've always been a good egg in my book, Wicht! B-)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Let's Give Our Nerd Rage a Constructive Outlet

So anyone want to go hunt down Lorraine Williams and TP her yard?

ROAD TRIP!!!!

B-)

darjr

I crit!
I didn't know he was ill. That's terrible.

I enjoyed his posts on the tor blog and wondered what happened.

Here's to his health improving.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads