• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hag Eye and Identification

Gromnar

First Post
Good evening everyone,

My players and their characters are facing a covey of hags at the moment, and hag eyes are playing a large role in how the hags are keeping tabs on the characters. I'm wondering, how exactly, other than true seeing, can the eyes be identified?

Right now, I've a character that's using analyze dweomer on a captured minion of the hag's items. One of them is a hag eye on a ring. Would this spell reveal the existance of the hag eye?

Here's what the SRD says about hag eyes:

A hag eye is a magic gem created by a covey. It appears to be nothing more than a semiprecious stone, but a gem of seeing or other such effect reveals it as a disembodied eye. Often, a hag eye is worn as a ring, brooch, or other adornment. Any of the three hags who created the hag eye can see through it whenever they wish, so long as it is on the same plane of existence as the hag. A hag eye has hardness 5 and 10 hit points. Destroying a hag eye deals 1d10 points of damage to each member of the covey and causes the one who sustained the greatest damage to be blinded for 24 hours.

Analyze Dweomer says:

You discern all spells and magical properties present in a number of creatures or objects. Each round, you may examine a single creature or object that you can see as a free action. In the case of a magic item, you learn its functions, how to activate its functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if it uses charges). In the case of an object or creature with active spells cast upon it, you learn each spell, its effect, and its caster level.
An attended object may attempt a Will save to resist this effect if its holder so desires. If the save succeeds, you learn nothing about the object except what you can discern by looking at it. An object that makes its save cannot be affected by any other analyze dweomer spells for 24 hours.

It says the hag eye is a magical item, and analyze dwoemer discrens magical properties on items, though I just want to be sure before I move on.

Thanks for the help!

jefgorbach

First Post
Agreed. Using Analyze Dweomer upon the ring would reveal whomever enchanted the gemstone can see from the gem's current viewpoint as desired - PROVIDED the ring fails a Will save since the fluff impies its constantly "attended" via the lifeforce connection to its creating Hags.

Accordingly, RAI should allow the hags to remote-cast line-of-sight spells, using the gemstone's current location as the spell's point of origin.

Gromnar

First Post
Ugh, damn spammers. *shakes head*

As for the real messages, I appreciate everyone's input. So far I've made analyze dweomer and similar spells roll against a will save of the hags. At this time, the hags have successfully made the saves, so they are able to observe the characters for the time being.

So it would be feasible to cast LoS spells through the ring?

jefgorbach

First Post
So it would be feasible to cast LoS spells through the ring?

Yes? Fluff implies the Hag Eye as a Crystal Ball variant and thus likewise uses Scrying for its base enchantment which specifies "As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects. In addition, the following spells have a 5% chance per caster level of operating through the sensor: detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, and message." thus obviously the listed spells would be applicable, and provides precedent to allow other/any LOS spells; using the ring as the origination point.

frankthedm

First Post
Accordingly, RAI should allow the hags to remote-cast line-of-sight spells, using the gemstone's current location as the spell's point of origin.
I disagree. The hag eye covers line of sight, it does not grant line of effect or extended range. All the hags get to do through it is see. It does not have the bonuses nor limitations of a scrying sensor. Casting spells through the hag eye is in no way an option presented RAW or RAI.

Also the spells LISTED in Scrying are the only spells one can cast through the scrying sensor.

jefgorbach

First Post
DM call.

Gary/TSR did not indicate WHAT spell is used to create a Hag Eye (nor did WOTC during the various edition updates), therefore I propose Scrying since its specifically enchants an eye so the possessor may remote-view the area surrounding the eye from elsewhere on the same Plane.

Agreed, the eye's fluff does not state additional spells may be cast thru it ... nor does it state its not possible - so if we accept Scrying as the basis, then the hags are able to cast "detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, and message" using the Eye as the origination point since Scry specifies those spells ARE possible per RAW.

Further, it gives the DM precident to expand that list with whatever additional LOS spells desired since the example spells prove magical effects can flow thru the scyring sensor, ... and cautions the wary to avoid AEO effects which might include themselves.

Remove ads