• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hair spray and spandex did mix for a time...

Who rocks harder?

• Warrant! She's my cherry pie and such...

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Skid Row! 18 and Life...Wasted Time....

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Hey, you're just trying to learn how to make polls, aren't you? (Well, yeah...but vote anyway!)

Votes: 24 37.5%

Katcracker

First Post
hair spray and spandex never mixed well.... they just did it anyways

Of these two I would put Warrant at the top.... but in the list of "which eighties screaming rock band reigned supreme"? I don't think either would be high on my list though, but for research I will have to dig through memories and watch some "I love the 80's."

Bront

The man with the probe
stevelabny said:
If GNR stayed together, rock would never have lost its way, and MTV wouldnt suck quite so much. Axl was Madonna and Michael Jackson and every 2-year career Rap star rolled into one.
If Axl had stayed out of prison, they might have.

Isn't Slash with another band now?

Having listened to most of my screaming rock later in life, I can only vote for Warrent given that I can't put any songs I recognized to Skid Row.

I know Scorpions had a few hits, but they did some ballads too.

In the 80s I was a big fan of Asia, but they aren't exactly anything close to what you're talking about here.

There was a radio station that did a 2 hour show on Thursday nights I think called Precious Metal, which was all 80's metal/hair rock. It was a lot of fun to listen to.

Dee Snyder gets props for appearing before congress to defend freedom of music, and later in the semi-comidy movie "Parental Advisory" on those said trials on VH1 20 years later (And strangely, he looks the same, hair and all.

Cthulhu's Librarian said:
One hit wonder? Two hits, if I remember correctly-I Wanna Rock and We're Not Gonna Take it, both of which were written by Dee Snider. I can't even find a Queen cover listed among everything they recorded. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...1&uid=MIW030511020910&sql=11:k85gtq9ztu42~T31
Hmmm... I guess I'm wrong, then. I thought whichever song they did for Iron Eagle was a Queen cover, but maybe that's just my memory failing to pierce the mists of time.

reveal

Adventurer
Bront said:

Slash, Duff (bassist), and Matt (drummer) formed Velvet Revolver with another guitarist and Scott Weiland (STP).

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Bront said:
Velvet Revolver, with G'n'R alums Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. Edit: whoops, reveal already said that.

Bront said:
Dee Snyder gets props for appearing before congress to defend freedom of music, and later in the semi-comidy movie "Parental Advisory" on those said trials on VH1 20 years later (And strangely, he looks the same, hair and all.
My impression about Dee Snyder is that he has a pretty good sense of humor about himself and his career. I heard a brief interview on the radio one time, and he was talking very good-naturedly about a review of "We're Not Gonna Take It" that had printed shortly after that single's release. Snyder was laughing about the review, which gave the song no stars (or thumbs, or whatever the rating was), and he said (I'm paraphrasing), "The review gave it no stars, and it was only three words long. It said, 'What, from whom?'" :lol:

I love that song. It's goofy, but totally catchy, right from the drum intro. Scored a great deal a few months back in a record store when I found a Quiet Riot album in the bargain clearance section: $5! That's like old school album prices that I remember! :)

Warrior Poet

Last edited:

Bront said:

When was Axl in prison? In seclusion, maybe, but I never remember hearing anything about him going to prison. He was arrested a few times for inciting a riot, assault, drunken disorderly conduct, etc. but that was when the band was still together and touring in the early 90s. The band split due to his ego.

Maybe you are confusing him with Scott Weiland who spent some time in prison for drug posession, and is now in Velvet Revolver with Slash & Duff?

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Hmmm... I guess I'm wrong, then. I thought whichever song they did for Iron Eagle was a Queen cover, but maybe that's just my memory failing to pierce the mists of time.
Just checked allmusic.com. You're kinda right. Twisted Sister wasn't on the soundtrack, but there was a Queen song on there: "One Vision"

Warrior Poet

Edit: Actually, check out that soundtrack listing. Queen, Dio, King Kobra, George Clinton, Katrina and the Waves!?!?! What a mix! :lol:

Actually, I was never a fan of G'n'R. In fact, I consider the death of hair bands to possibly be their fault. They never seemed to grasp the whole pretentious campiness of it all, and tried too hard to be "serious."

No thanks. I'd rather have Van Halen and Def Leppard, frankly. And how is it that Van Halen hasn't even been mentioned as the top big-hair metal band of the 80s? Do they not get enough cred because they were popular or something?

reveal

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
And how is it that Van Halen hasn't even been mentioned as the top big-hair metal band of the 80s? Do they not get enough cred because they were popular or something?

Because they were really, really good. When most people say "hair band" they refer to bands that didn't make it past 92 when Nirvana hit it big.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads