• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half dragon age

jason_gosse

First Post
I have looked and looked but can't find anything on how being half dragon changes the way the base creature would age.

now I know that it might be they age the same as the non dragon parent but that dose not sit right with me.

so does any one know how a half dragon will age or where I may find this information.

Half-Dragon age

I think one of the many dragon books tells how old half-dragons get, at least the PHB humanoids anyway. Maybe it was Dragon Magic or Races of the Dragon. I suppose you could just double the lifespan of the base creature, that sounds about right to me. You could also rule they live half as long as their base dragons maximum age. Besides character biographies and roleplaying, actually age in years usually doesn't even become a factor in game mechanics.

jason_gosse

First Post
Adolfo_Mondschein said:
I think one of the many dragon books tells how old half-dragons get, at least the PHB humanoids anyway. Maybe it was Dragon Magic or Races of the Dragon. I suppose you could just double the lifespan of the base creature, that sounds about right to me. You could also rule they live half as long as their base dragons maximum age. Besides character biographies and roleplaying, actually age in years usually doesn't even become a factor in game mechanics.

I know it normaly would not afect the game but I am looking for more then one reason. one I may make a caster and make him middle age. as well i am planing a game with a cupple of half dragon npc and want them to be as old as the city a cupple hundred. so i would rather stick to the rules. i like to do that as much as I can.

Ovistavin

First Post
Well, its not in the MM, Draconomicon, or Races of the Dragon. I don't have Dragon Magic yet so I can't say one way or the other. Some have their own ideas of how long half-dragons should live, but nothing is in the rules that I know of.

jason_gosse

First Post
Ovistavin said:
Well, its not in the MM, Draconomicon, or Races of the Dragon. I don't have Dragon Magic yet so I can't say one way or the other. Some have their own ideas of how long half-dragons should live, but nothing is in the rules that I know of.

well if I don't find out anything befor the game starts I will have to do it my self. I have a few Ideas One is that they age as base creature till maturity then age more like dragon just half as long.

sounds good

jason_gosse said:
well if I don't find out anything befor the game starts I will have to do it my self. I have a few Ideas One is that they age as base creature till maturity then age more like dragon just half as long.

That sounds good to me. If anything you should be able to just apply the middle age effects on your pc and if you find out later just say he's that old. I'll keep an eye out on half-dragon age, I have a freind who may know or have a book.

Banshee16

First Post
According to the MM, templates don't affect lifespan. However, in many ways, that doesn't make much sense.

In 2nd Ed., half-dragons, which had started as human-dragon hybrids, and they used to have lifespans in the 400-500 year range.

Races of the Dragon doesn't give definitive numbers, but it mentions on pg. 61 that they can live for 1000+ years. But there are no lifespan charts.

Other templates like half-celestials and half-fiends should likely have longer lifespans as well. Sean Reynolds' Anger of Angels mentions that they are immortal (as in never growing old...they can die).

Banshee

Remove ads