• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Half-Dragon and Cambion "Template" Advice

Lennaire

First Post
Hi all. I'm currently working on a few NPCs for an eventual adventure that I'll be running after getting some pre-made adventures under my belt.

I know that there really aren't Templates per se in 5e and that you normally don't create NPCs the same way, though I am planning on making at least the main NPC from scratch the same as a pc.

Here's the question...

I remember the half-dragons having more ability score modifiers than they do now has that changed or am I missing something? If anyone has modified the template to "fix" this?

Also does it seem that the cambion should have more extras than just additional charisma or am I also missing something there?

Lennaire

First Post
Ah, ok. That's what I thought.

Next question is has anyone had any success in creating more powerful NPCs to throw into the campaign mix? This characters isn't really going to be the main antagonist though there will be times when he plays that role.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've had to create foes to challenge 14th level parties. It's not easy.

For an important encounter, consider Legendary Resistance and Legendary Actions. That can up the resilience of a monster and greatly improve its action economy.

S

Sunseeker

Ah, ok. That's what I thought.

Next question is has anyone had any success in creating more powerful NPCs to throw into the campaign mix? This characters isn't really going to be the main antagonist though there will be times when he plays that role.

At higher levels i have to do a lot of custom work for important npcs to make them a challenge for the party. Its not terribly hard, but theyre usually breaking bounded accuracy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads