• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Drow and Moonblades

Gromnar

First Post
Hi Enworlders!

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me any official info for a CG half-drow of Eilistraee would technically be capable of wielding a dormant moonblade who's family line has died out? I know half-elves can, but half-drow is a different story.

Thank you for your help!

Gromnar

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I can't recall where the official information regarding moonblades is located, but from what I recall, half-drow are in Races of Faerun, and are like standard PHB half-elves, save that they swap out low-light vision for darkvision.

delericho

Legend
Yes. Per the MM, drow are a subset of elves, and so just as half-elves are considered to be elves for the purposes of activating magic items, so too should half-drow.

That said, given that the blade is said to test its wielder, and given the unusualness of a half-drow claiming it, as DM I would consider that license to test the character very carefully. :)

Gromnar

First Post
Thank you everyone for the replies. My thoughts were to possibly introduce a Moonblade at a later point in the campaign as a character's "campaign item". Using the moonblade rules, if the correct family line dies out, the blade itself can accept another wielder, as long as they find them fitting for it.

delericho

Legend
How would a half-drow be of the correct family bloodline?

Well, the moonblade description notes that if the correct bloodline has died out, any elf or half-elf can be adopted as a new user, provided they pass the tests.

However, it shouldn't be impossible for a half-drow to be of the correct bloodline anyway - all it would take is for the character's human parent to have a great-great-great...-grandparent who was a half-elf, whose elven parent was of the correct line. IIRC, that was essentially the situation in "Sword of Shannara".

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Yeah, I had forgotten about that "adoption" ruling. I never paid much attention to the mechanics: all I wanted to do was run a Starym sun elf worshipper of Moander with the Starym moonblade as a leader of an Eldreth Veluuthra cell. I basically ignored all the others.

I was also thinking of the FR precedent where the offspring of two different elf sub-races becomes only one of those sub-races. Thus, a sun elf/drow pairing results in a full-blooded drow and that drow's subsequent offspring via a human is a half-drow but also of the sun elf bloodline two generations back.

Remove ads