• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Dwarves

Technik4

First Post
That chart is a nice idea, but if you arent going to pump the half-orc, I would say be wary. You mentioned your campaign is a "low-gold" one, which typically (In my experience) means the core stats are weighted more heavily. Meaning basically, that a +2 Str is NOT balanced by a -2 Dex. This is just my opinion, I dont think its totally unbalanced, but it isn't quite even either.

Half Dwarf
+2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha
- Medium sized
- Base Speed is 20 feet
- Darkvision 60ft.
- +2 racial saving throw against Poisons
- +1 racial bonus to Appraise checks related to rare or exotic materials
- +1 racial bonus to Craft checks relating to stone or metal
- Dwarven Blood
- Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven
- Bonus Languages: Any (except special)
- Favored Class: Any

This race is like the one I posted earlier, but switching the racial feat for stat bonuses. As I said I feel the stat bonuses are "more powerful" than the racial feat, so they also lost the +2 spell saving throw. The main advantages of this race are its strength, darkvision, and any favored class. The drawbacks are its speed and general lack of skill bonuses.

I feel its comprable to the half-orc, but would give the half-orc at least scent as a bonus feat. This insures there is still a "niche" for half-orcs in a world with another strong race.

Technik

PS- Just a quick note on that "system", it is made so that it mostly works with phb races, for an exa,ple of a totally broken race using that system...

Munchkin
- Medium Size
- Base Speed 30
-2 Str, +2 Int, +2 Cha
+2 Listen, Spot, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble. Munchkins are very dirty. (8pts)
+2 racial bonus vs Spells and Spell-like Effects (13pts)
+1 racial bonus to all saves (8pts)
Bonus feat (8pts)
Free Weapon Proficiency with 1 martial weapon. (4pts)
2 pts left over.

Im not even going to comment.

i see your point there...well im going to try it as is and maybe ill throw in some catch halfway through the game as a plot hook if they are too powerful (family curse or some such)

thx to all who helped

Ran

First Post
Well, as I said, Andrew's poitn system is a starting point, not the ultimate non-abuse system, but at least it helps you to think.

Anyway, i would really think of making it new racec, deescending from dwarves and humans who, for some reason, coexisted and fused.

i would consider making it this way, even though I am not sure it would be nice, it comes he keeps the best of both...

Half-Dwarven Racial Traits:
- +2 Constitution.
- Medium sized.
- Base speed is 20 feet.
- Dwarven Blood.
- Darkvision 60ft.
- +2 racial bonus to appraise or craft checks relating to metal, stone, or exotic materials
- Favored Class Any--- -11 points (10)
- Free Feat at first level--- -8 points (2)

Technik4

First Post
A system which isnt balanced isnt much help Im afraid. I mean, he states that every race except the half-orc came out perfectly, but some of it was obviously under-rated. This implies he would have to further skew the actual worth of some racial abilties so they all "came out" nicely. For instance, he places a very high worth on the humans bonus skill points (rightfully so, its a powerful ability) but 24 points? Is it actually worth say 3 feats?

I think he overvalues humans' bonus skill points, undervalues feats, and then seriously overvalues the gnome's spells/day, undervalues skill point bonuses in general (For instance +2 bonus in 4 things is the value of low-light vision or a feat. With the feat comparison, we can see he is way off as a feat is worth +2 in 2 things, therefore his skill bonuses need to cost twice as much. This would obviously throw halflings and elves off, so what is the answer? Reduce +1 saving throw to all?).

I'm sorry, I would rather eyeball it to other classes than use a broken system. You may be more likely to build a slightly weaker-than-phb race, but its customized to the needs of the dm and pcs, which in and of itself is a big "bonus".

Technik

Ran

First Post
Well, so far, i have never seen any point system tht cannot be abused, it is very hard to give equivalence to things that didn't have, to start with, so, when I see anything like this, i just go with serious precautions.

Anyway, I like to have some guide, even though it may give me stronger than posible things, that is because I do know what is too strong.

Anyway, i prefer to start with strong, tear down to ok, than keep a weak.

Just my way, my thoughts, no followers needed... just to clarify, no criticism.

ExtremeSIMS

First Post
My half-dwarf

Half-dwarves:
Short and stocky, sharing the hardiness of their dwarven blood and the energy of humans, half-dwarves are a rare race.
Traits: Medium size. On the average, half-dwarves are 5 to 5 and a half feet tall.
Base speed: 30
Half-dwarves get a +1 racial bonus to saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
Half-dwarves get a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against poison.
Stone-cunning as per a dwarf.
Darkvision 60’.
Favored class: Any

---
Patrick Scott
http://www.extremsims.com/
RPG Forums:
http://www.extremesims.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?category=1

It is possible to abuse any point system..you use the point system as a guide and use a little common sense...i am running a high powered campaing (well higher than average) to get them to higher levels faster, where it is more interesting... so my version of the half dwarf is higher-than-average powered...we have made several modifications to the core races to suit the campaign as well. im under the impression that everythying that is comming up, already came up at an earlier stage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads