• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Elf Emissary - weirdest paragon feature

Byronic

First Post
The Half Elf Emissary (Bard Paragon class from Arcane Power) has a really weird class feature. At level 11 it gets the following:

"your bonus to Diplomacy checks from your Group Diplomacy racial trait equals your Charisma modifier. In addition, allies within 10 squares of you apply this bonus to all checks with Charisma-based skills in which you are trained"

Now, the odd thing about this is that I presume that if someone plays the Bard, especially if they choose the Emissary paragon class is that they want to be "Face" of the party. However this class feature makes other people in your party better at it.

At level 11 we can assume that the bard has at least +5 in Charisma. If I read the above correctly then this means that any other character who happens to have the same skill trained will be better at it then the emissary. Even if he has lower Charisma.

Am I correct in reading this? Does this make any sense at all to someone here? How does this feature help your character be an "Emissary" instead of the "Emissary's Assistant"?

Akaiku

First Post
You are a leader and your job is buffs and heals? This looks like a straight case of buff your allies like a warlord to me.

Lakashim

First Post
It is pure win in a social based group skill challenge, where more party members can be "faces".

Also there may be story reasons why it is important for pc 2 to be talking rather than super diplo-bard. ie Half-Orc Ranger talking with full orc tribesman.

Is it a 100% always useful must have power? Nope.

But for the few cases it helps, it is great.

Stalker0

Legend
From someone who runs a skill heavy game, this PP is flat out broken. Skill bonuses in some games don't seem like much, but +5 to all cha based skills is just heinous good.

Byronic

First Post
So.. nobody thinks it a bit odd that a paragon path supposed to be for diplomats does not make you a better diplomat but everyone else in your party?

I think I'll simply ban this path and go on from there. Maybe change the "group diplomacy" trait while I'm at it

ppaladin123

Adventurer
It just amplifies what was already an odd racial power. Otherwise the abilities of the path are solid (though the dilettante recharge is useless since everybody in their right mind takes versatile mastery). I might build a half-elf paladin/bard and take it.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
From someone who runs a skill heavy game, this PP is flat out broken. Skill bonuses in some games don't seem like much, but +5 to all cha based skills is just heinous good.

I think skill challenges and skill DCs and even the DM screen are a pretty clear indication that WotC doesn't even touch skill checks. I'm 100% serious, 5E won't even have skills.

It is funny how a class called "Emissary" stands at the back and lets others speak for him since he potentially becomes the worst in the party at it. And "Warlords" are one of the weakest fighters... I think they need to revise how they name the leader classes. :p

Remove ads