• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half Elf Fighter/Rogue

rhm001

First Post
I'd probably post this over on the WotC Char Op forums, but those are down right now, and I'm hoping to get some more general answers as well as specifics anyway.

So, I'm looking at a Half Elf multiclassing Fighter/Rogue, in part because I think it works relatively well with TWF. I realize that Rangers will be better TWFers, and that Elves, Dwarves, Humans, and Dragonborn will all be mechanically stronger as Rangers. It's also worth noting that I prefer the Rogue choice for the blast attacks available, feats available, utilities and the ease/reliability of backstabbing. I also recognize that Halflings and Humans will be a better choice from the Rogue end, multiclassing into Ranger or Fighter.

Starting from the Fighter side, however, the Half Elf has several advantages. Most notably, he can take the Ranger's Twin Strike. It's only once an encounter, but he's the only Fighter/Rogue who will have an opportunity to use both of the weapons he has an incentive to carry; using both weapons will also make it easier to alternate between Fighter and Rogue attacks, and let the Fighter take Rain of Blows---using the light blade---as a level 3 encounter power (getting the extra blow at level 4, depending on the Dex score so perhaps swapping to it then), which is nice. More hitpoints are always preferable for defenders, and the Cha bump may also be useful, depending on what skills and utilities you end up with.

On the other hand, your scores are likely to be spread out, the opposite of what the game effectively encourages. From what I can see, the most effective 22-point spread (including racial bonuses) will be either of:

Code:
Str 16   16
Con 14   14
Dex 14   16
Int 8    8
Wis 14   12
Cha 13   12
The first set gives you a better OA bonus, a higher Will defense, and a potential higher Cha bonus, (and a Dex score that will ultimately be high enough for feats), while the second gives you a better Reflex defense, a higher initiative and some better Rogue attacks. So what do people think? Are other races still far superior for such a build? Which ability scores are preferable? Or are there other ability scores that will be superior?

For the reasons you posted already I think half elf is a poor choice for a fighter. Half elf is mediocre for a rogue since you gain some benefit from charisma. But it's not like the character couldn't function or anything, he's just not as effective as other fighters.

I would go Dragonborn if I was making a Fighter/rogue. Breath weapon is fantastic for marking multiple foes. ( 1/ enc, much like twinstrike, but you have a far better chance to hit with breath weapon, and many more potential targets).

Strength is essentially the primary stat for fighters which Dragonborn get a bonus to. Charisma is a secondary stat for rogues, if you go arful dodger, or str is primary if you go brutal rogue. Either case is a win there. Higher healing surge values makes you more durable also.

For stats, if you were planning brutal rogue, your strength is already going ot be an 18 probably. I would do something like this.

Str 18 Con 14 Dex 14 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 15 ( These are with stat mods of course )

Solid defense bonuses across the board. It really depends on your long term goals with the character too. If you plan on being an axe master or a heavy blade master you might want to juggle points around to meet the reqs for those feats. Or just plan your stat bump ups accordingly.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads