• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Elf Paragon Paths?

Dan'L

First Post
Does a half-elf gain access to Paragon Paths with Human or Elf as a prerequisite?

Their Dual Heritage racial trait in the PHB only references feats. However, at the time there weren't any PPs with racial pre-reqs, and in PHB II, every race gets a race-specific PP except half-elves. This would make sense if they had access to the human and elf paths, since they'd already have one more to choose from than any other race, but it's a bit odd to overlook them is they can't access them.

Is there anything official on this?

-Dan'L

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Isn't there a side-bar in the PHB2 saying that Half Elves get the feat Versatile Master instead of a racial paragon path?

Giving them two Paragon Paths and Versatile Master seems strong.

Oh well, I guess 4e's half-elves are overcompensating for how poorly they fared in the previous edition, just like how 3.5e's humans were rather on the strong side.

Cheers, -- N

Dan'L

First Post
Isn't there a side-bar in the PHB2 saying that Half Elves get the feat Versatile Master instead of a racial paragon path?
Aha! Thanks, don't know why I missed it. It's not in a sidebar, it's in the intro paragraphs to the racial paragon path section. The way it's worded makes me think that the half-elf is not intended to have access to the human or elf paragon paths:

PHB2 page 18 said:
Exemplars of the half-elf race do not pursue a paragon path; instead, they just take the Versatile Master feat in Chapter 3.

Looking at the full text of Versatile Master, it's essentially a way to make a multiclass paragon path into a half-elf racial exemplar paragon path.

-Dan'L

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aha! Thanks, don't know why I missed it. It's not in a sidebar, it's in the intro paragraphs to the racial paragon path section. The way it's worded makes me think that the half-elf is not intended to have access to the human or elf paragon paths
Agreed.

However, the fact that the Elven racial PP can use either Wisdom or Charisma makes me wonder if it actually was intended for use by Half-Elves.

Hmmm, -- N

Shin Okada

Explorer
By RAW Dual Heritage is just for feats. And PHB 2 suggests that there will be no Half-Elf paragon path.

That is OK for me. But I wish more Elven racial feats which does not rely on Elven Accuracy. Most Human feats are useful for a half-elf. But most of the current Elven feats are not.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The way it's worded makes me think that the half-elf is not intended to have access to the human or elf paragon paths
See, the wording lead me to a different place. It doesn't say anything to suggest they can take the PPs, I agree. But I read it like, "exemplars of the half-elven race take this feat, because those that take the human or elf paths aren't being exmplars of their race, they're leaning heavily to one side."

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
See, the wording lead me to a different place. It doesn't say anything to suggest they can take the PPs, I agree. But I read it like, "exemplars of the half-elven race take this feat, because those that take the human or elf paths aren't being exmplars of their race, they're leaning heavily to one side."

QFT

I agree entirely.... do I get docked xp for making a "what he said post"?
If so maybe I should ramble on pretending I actually have something to
add and in the end just waste bytes and electrons... nyeah.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sure, but the thing is: all half-elves take that feat. It's like their Action Surge (... er, except they get that too). Getting a bonus at-will from another class is rather strong.

If a Human could take a Paragon feat to pick his bonus at-will power from any other class, I suspect many would do so.

Cheers, -- N

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sure, but the thing is: all half-elves take that feat. It's like their Action Surge (... er, except they get that too). Getting a bonus at-will from another class is rather strong.

If a Human could take a Paragon feat to pick his bonus at-will power from any other class, I suspect many would do so.

Cheers, -- N

Is action surge just an excuse to make sure your dailies dont whiff ;-)
I means its not much in the flavorful side.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads