• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-elves

Has the half-elf changed enough from previous editions

• Yes, the half-elf is not the uber-human wanna-be anymore

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • No, the half-elf is still the uber-human wanna-be

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Undecided about the half-elf

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 6 13.6%

Jasperak

Adventurer
Because of another thread dedicated to half-elves, I began thinking about the differences from 3e to 2e. In my personal experience, half-elves far out-weighed any other race in campaigns I was in. Do you feel that 3e has changed half-elf enough to throw off its stereotypical use as a uber-human wanna-be?

Thanks for your participation.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
They're fine in 3e. I really like what WotC did with the races. Not 100% exactly what I would have wanted, but they weren't making the game just for me.

Pity.

Jasperak

Adventurer
I almost thought about putting an option in for them getting the shaft. While the half-elf gets a few decent bonuses, I do not think those bonuses compare with +1 feat and +1 sp/level. Thoughts?

Can I add that option?

rounser

First Post
I've seen approx one half orc in every 3E party so far, but no half elves whatsoever, so I abstain.

I beginning to dislike either the way half orcs usually get played or the style of play fostered by the players who play them - unless they're doing that "reverse stereotype" thing (e.g. intellectual half-orc wizard with pipe and cross-eyed orcy philosophy, for instance). But half-orc fighters and barbarians....eww. Roleplaying stupidity (complete with low syllable vocabulary and "dumb" voice) and bullying may be roleplaying, but I'm sick of that kind of roleplaying in the game - it's becoming annoying. And we keep seeing them because of +2 strength and dump stat the intelligence. :(

So yeah, I think half orcs have taken their place as the uber-human wannabes.

Jasperak

Adventurer
For those that are currently playing half-elves, do you find that race as a more role-playing choice than in previous editions? BTW, what classes are your half-elves?

Aaron L

Hero
Uber-human wanna-be's? What uber abilities did half elves get that made them this? Did I miss something? In all my days of playing 1E and 2E, I can think of 3 half elves in any of the games I was in. As for 3E, no one I know has played a half elf. Even the half orc gets a STR bonus which could give them a boost as a melee fighter, but half elves are so blah it is frightening.

As an aside, I hate the shunned outcast half elf stereotype. Why are all half elves now based on Tanis? He was the most boring character in the whole Dragonlance series. If you're going to base half elves on someone, base them on Elrond. :)

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
rounser,

I'm currently playing a 1/2 Orc Barbarian-1/Cleric-5 (Pelor). I'm having an utter blast. "PELOR WILL GIVE YOU STRENGTH"! Heh. I say that every time I cast Bull's Strength and I love it. He's not too well liked by his church (what with him being chaotic), but that's OK because he's not out to be liked.

That same party also has -- fortunately for this thread -- a 1/2 Elf monk. What I've noticed is that he doesn't so much get the shaft on the feat because he has excellent night vision. That's a big plus. He doesn't seem to miss the extra skill point The resistance bonuses haven't come into play because my group shys away from spells that can be resisted in general (we are pessimsits when it comes to die rolls and we all assume we'll fail).

Remove ads