• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Giant's reach and whips

Cybern

First Post
Half-Giants can wield weapons one size larger at no penalty. That's great, but what happens when one wields a whip? The damage increases to d4, but does the reach remains at 15', or does it double to 30'? Then, when the Halg-Giant activates his expansion power, and actually wields a huge-sized whip, is the reach 15' or 60' or another length?

Thanks!

Vlos

First Post
I seem to recall from Savage Spieces book that weapon size increases increase the reach by 5', thus it would go from 15' to 20', not double.

Cybern

First Post
yeah, but a whip isn't a reach weapon as the other reach weapons are, and has a stated reach in its description.

A medium whip has a 15' reach, about 3x the wielder's height. A huge creature can be 25' or 30' high. Trice that height would give between 75' and 90', and it's reach would still be 25' ??? :uhoh:

DragonShadow

First Post
Don't think of it as a multiplication problem. It's a matter of addition.

Any creature with reach threatens a square 10 feet away, so with any melee weapon, he can make that distance. It would stand to reason then that the 15 foot range of the whip would be added ONTO that.

That's the way I'm seeing it anyway.

So figure, normally, he would be able to hit something with a whip 25 feet away.

Of course, I don't know why you want to be using a whip in the first place. They're not too useful, IMO.

DragonShadow

First Post
Telperion said:
Touch attacks up to the range of the whip anyone?

Why would you need to make a touch attack up to the range of the whip when it can be done so much easier in other ways?

Not only that, but a whip does no damage to anybody wearing armor, and subdual damage to anybody that isn't.

Anybody wanting to use a touch attack for a spell at range would use their familiar (at least...anybody who has a working brain), not a whip.

So I reiterate, whips are useless IMO.

But whips are cool.

And heck, if you're huge, tripping someone with your super strength is pretty easy with a whip.

But mostly it's that they're cool. D&D does them a disservice by not making them cool enough. Hadn't the designers played Castlevania?

Ave Rage

First Post
Or when Gandolf got whipped down into that cavern by the fire thing. That was pretty cool even if the demon did get beat down later for it.

Telperion

First Post
DragonShadow said:
Why would you need to make a touch attack up to the range of the whip when it can be done so much easier in other ways?

Not only that, but a whip does no damage to anybody wearing armor, and subdual damage to anybody that isn't.

Anybody wanting to use a touch attack for a spell at range would use their familiar (at least...anybody who has a working brain), not a whip.

So I reiterate, whips are useless IMO.

I disagree.

The point of using a whip is to touch an enemy wihtout them being able to respond (due to range). Using a familiar is okay, but familiars are fragile at low levels and at higher levels I wouldn't bother with touch attacks anyway. Just blast them with something really big.

Aside from that using Trip and Disarm checks is a whole lot easier when you are big and using a large whip. Of course if you simply wanted to hit someone, then take a heavy flail and start dealing damage. It basically does the same stuff as a whip, but without the added charm of having a long reach.

And yes: whips are cool :).

EDIT: with a familiar I'm assuming you mean a psionic crystal. 1/2 the amount of hitpoints from its master.

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
SRD said:
Large or larger creatures using reach weapons can strike up to double their natural reach but can’t strike at their natural reach or less.

Although the rules doesn't specifically state I believe that a whip actually triples your reach, so if you have 5' reach it becomes 15'. And if you have 10' reach you have 30' reach with a whip. As for the huge size that would be 45' reach with a whip.

Remove ads