• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-golem Magic Immunity

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Monster Manual II, page 209; also on the WotC web-site here.

Creatures who succeed in the will save do not get construct traits; do they get magic immunity?

Does it strike anyone that immunity to all magic and supernatural effects is immensely powerful? I think Upper_Krust pegs it as worth 10 character levels.

True, it cramps the style of wizards and sorcerers a lot (-6 in their spellcasting stat is nasty), but evil half-golem clerics seem to be quite a bit scarier than the CR+3 would indicate.

Anyone know what the LA is of these things? Usually LA adjustment for a template is twice the CR bonus; but I'm not sure +6 is enough.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
So they get magic immunity even if they make the save?

I guess that makes sense. Otherwise it is hard to see why the change in CR would be +3 whether or not the save was made.

What LA would you peg the half-golem at?

herald

First Post
Cheiromancer said:

I guess that makes sense. Otherwise it is hard to see why the change in CR would be +3 whether or not the save was made.

I'd say that they don't get Magic Immunity unless they got the rest of the construct traits. Otherwise your game balance is going to be wacky. Spell resistance seems more likely.

I think that it might make more sense if this template was done more as a Savage Species Monster Class.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Cheiromancer said:

The way I read it, alignment, type (and associated traits) and Con score are the only things that are different whether you make the save or fail it.

The 3.5 update manual states LA -, which means that they aren't meant for characters, or their LA would be to high for non-epic games. The letter may very well be the case, since magic immunity is extremely useful, and the other stuff isn't bad, either

Sam Gross

First Post
Keep in mind that Magic Immunity also means no magic healing. No potions, no friendly Cure spells. As an adventure progresses, your HP slowly depletes with no way to circumvent it. Afterward, you're taking weeks or months of downtime in full bed rest for ordinary healing. Not so overpowered afterall.

Remove ads