• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Golems and special attributes

randcortin

First Post
I have a question regarding Half-Golems. Are magical immunites as described in Monster Manual Golems inherent in Half-Golems that make their will saves? It says you don't gain the Construct Traits if you make your will saves, but it isn't clear about the magical immunities that golems have (Iron Golems in particular), whether you gain those if you make your will saves. As I read it, it seems to say to me that half-golems who made their will saves get the magical immunities, but it's unclear enough that there is some doubt in my mind. Could someone please clarify the rules? There's no Monster Manual 2 errata that I'm aware of to consult, so it was suggested I bring the question to the ENWorld boards.

randcortin

First Post
Yes, I know I'm replying to my own post

Also, regarding those immunities, does that include spells the half-golem casts on itself? If it's made it's will save, and is not a construct, can it cast Cure Serious Wounds on itself, healing damage? Or would the magic Immunity prevent that healing? How about Haste, or Improved Invisibility? If the character had the capacity to cast those spells prior to becoming a half-Golem, or even after, could it cast those spells on itself and get the benefits?

If it can't heal itself by cure spells, can it cast fireball on itself (assuming it's a half-iron-golem) and heal itself that way without being hurt?

The_lone_gunman

First Post
How do you have a half-golem? I don't even understand how this is possible? Is this something in the MM2? If so, pls let me know how this happens.......is it like a cyborg or something?

TLG

randcortin

First Post
Template in MM2

Half-Golem is a template you can add to a character when a character loses and arm or leg or other limb, perhaps voluntarily. It's in Monster Manual 2 and involves grafting a golem limb to the appropriate place with magic, of course. There are 4 different half-golems you can become, flesh half-golem, clay, stone, and iron, with the cost of the limb increasing by each one as you go up. Flesh golem limbs are least expensive, iron golem limbs most expensive. They require will saves to remain the person (or other creature) you were, or else you become lost within the golem and your type changes to construct, you gain construct qualities, such as immunity to mind-affecting magic, and other qualities, and become neutral evil.

You also gain magic immunities like your golem half, and I am trying to find out if you get the magic immunities if you make all your will saves (there's one for each limb you get, increasing in DC as you go.)

Spatzimaus

First Post
And if you don't want to buy the whole MM2 to get the info, you can download the MM2 Web Enhancement from Wizards.com; it includes three new Half-Golem types, so it explains all the rules over again.

It always seemed a bit flaky to me; you're grafting an elemental arm on to replace a severed arm. The new arm is powerful, sure might make you insane and/or evil. So, who other than evil people would prefer this over simply getting a Heal? And don't say "but it's a low-magic campaign", because these things are magical items and aren't cheap. I suppose you could pretend it's nonmagical for a steampunk setting, though.

Jay Lofstead

First Post
This was just discussed in the last couple of weeks either here or on Monte Cook's boards. I think the consensus was that you get the immunities and that you can choose to lower them (much like SR) for a standard action.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Except, if it's like SR, then you don't get it against your own spells in the first place. But golem resistance ISN'T like SR - it has a number of qualities which directly conflict with SR as written.

randcortin

First Post
If that's so...

... then is a half-golem immune to it's own spells? What spells can heal it, if it is an iron half-golem? Fireball? CLW? Any of the CW series? Or does it have to be re-crafted/repaired?

Remove ads