• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Vistana paragon levels, revisited.

Werther von G

First Post
A few months back, I asked for suggestions for making Unearthed Arcana-style paragon levels for Ravenloft's half-vistana race. No commentary, so my DM and I hashed something out. Here's what we came up with.

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 4+INT Mod
Class Skills: Appraise (INT), Bluff (CHA), Craft (INT), Gather Information (CHA), Handle Animal (CHA), Hide (DEX), Intimidate (CHA), Knowledge: Local (INT), Knowledge: Nature (INT), Profession (WIS), Sense Motive (WIS), Speak Language, Survival (WIS).

1: +0 BAB, +0/+0/+2, [thickened blood, vengeance's voice, ethereal empathy], --
2: +1 BAB, +0/+0/+3, [evil eye], +1 level of existing class
3: +2 BAB, +1/+1/+3, [ability increase, skill modifier], --

Thickened Blood: The character may take advantage of special spells and magic items that normally require a full-blooded Vistana to use.

Vengeance's Voice: The Half-Vistana gains a +2 racial bonus to Curse checks, as described on page 95 of the RvPH.

Ethereal Empathy: As per the feat in the RvPH.

Evil Eye: At 2nd level, the half-Vistana gains a degree of access to the mystic powers common to full-blood Vistani. The half-Vistana may choose a single manifestation of the "evil eye" (as described on pp.238-9 of the RvPH) to perform. She may perform this effect a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier; a half-Vistana with no Charisma modifier may use this effect once per week. At 3rd level, the half-Vistana may choose a second effect from the list -- this does not improve the number of times per day the eye may be called upon.

Ability Increase: At 3rd level, the half-vistana gains a +2 increase to Wisdom. This is a permanent improvement (similar to the ability score increase gained at every fourth level). In addition, the half-vistana gains a +1 racial bonus to all Charisma-based skills. (If she already has a racial bonus to a Charisma-based skill, it increases by +1.)

In addition, I'll post my first-draft choice for the first level ability, which was replaced by "thickened blood" and "vengeance's voice." My DM thought it was too powerful; what do you think?

Covenant with the Mists: The Vistani are inexorably tied to the Realm of Dread, and have a mysterious relationship with the Dark Powers that rule it. Upon achieving her first Paragon level, the half-Vistana begins to embrace this connection, and the grip of Ravenloft's harsh judgment loosens. All Dark Powers checks necessitated by the actions of the half-Vistana are judged as if the target's position on the chart (p.99) was one column to the left. (For example, a Major Theft from or a Minor Betrayal of a Stranger or Neutral NPC would not require a Powers check.) Because this covenant further separates the half-Vistana from the communities in which she dwells, her Outcast Rating rises by +1.

Last edited:

Hey,

All in all, I like it. I'm not terribly familiar with paragon classes though - are the first level abilities normally so powerful? A feat, a bonus to a potentially very powerful setting-specific mechanic, AND the ability to use perhaps the most powerful magic items present in the setting (depending on how your DM envisions magic in the Demiplane)? Seems like a lot. I would move them around as such:

Code:
Lvl  BAB    Saves        Abilities            Spellcasting
1    +0    0/0/+2      Evil Eye           +1 level of existing class
2    +1    0/0/+3      Vengeance's Voice  -
3    +1    +1/+1/+3    Thickened Blood     +1 level of existing class

Everything else I'd leave as is. Course, I run a very low magic campaign setting, so YMMV.

How's the DNC traffic going out your way? The Pike's backed up to Springfield heading east :confused:

Thanks,
-Matt

Werther von G

First Post
Argus Decimus Mokira said:
Hey,
All in all, I like it. I'm not terribly familiar with paragon classes though - are the first level abilities normally so powerful?

It's odd you say so; the two things you considered as the most powerful abilities were doubled up because, as yet, they'd only be considered "flavor" in our campaign -- I've never had cause to make a curse check or found a Vistana-only item. The "real" bonus there is the feat, and most of the paragon levels have the equivalent of a feat and a flavor bit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads