• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Halfling Rogue -- thoughts on fighting styles

Runny

First Post
Trying to decide the best fighting style for a Halfling rogue. I am leaning towards light crossbow sniper. The damage is good, the range is great, and I can use the bonus action to hide behind the fighter or cleric. The other way I am thinking is going dagger hurler.

I am also thinking about the benefits of picking up a few levels of fighter. I just don't know if they will let you MC into fighter using Dex... the fact that one of the starter set fighters is based around Dex would seem that you could have 15 Str or 15 Dex as the fighter prereq. Has anyone heard anything about the fighter MC prereqs?

Anyways... one level of fighter opens up Archery style (+2 to hit is HUGE with bounded accuracy) or Two Weapon style (adding Dex to a thrown dagger is a significant damage boost... similar to another SA die). Overall... I think Archery style is better for a rogue because you really just want to hit and pour on the SA damage... and you can use your bonus action to hide and get advantage... although using two daggers could potentially get you three rolls if you can find a way to get advantage on the first attack (or would the advantage also apply to the bonus attack?).

Thoughts?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I am also thinking about the benefits of picking up a few levels of fighter. I just don't know if they will let you MC into fighter using Dex... the fact that one of the starter set fighters is based around Dex would seem that you could have 15 Str or 15 Dex as the fighter prereq. Has anyone heard anything about the fighter MC prereqs?

You probably won't be able to mc into fighter with a low strength (a la the play test), but you could start as a low-strength fighter and mc into rogue, if that's the road you want to go. A bit longer to get to your destination, but you get more weapons from which to choose (including whip, for reach) and more hp at level 1. We just don't know what proficiencies you will lose out on when you mc into rogue, yet.

am181d

Adventurer
Not according to the play test docs; no.

There was something posted *somewhere* that suggested that the final MC rules (post-playtest) require you to meet both requirements.

I plan on ignoring those requirements all together (just as I did with race and level limits in 1e/2e) so I'm not really bothered either way.

Remove ads