• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halfling Snow Barbarians

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Okay, point me in the right direction if this as been done.

SRD ALERT!!!, I "AM" Trying to keep this withing the SRD "IF" I can and still come up with something reasonable.

What I have is a need for a rather large and previously undiscovered Halfling Variant - The Avarra

So far I have spent more time on their War Dog Mounts than the Avarra themselves.

So far I taken the Standard Halfling and given it the Artic Variant from UA with it +4 Bonus to Fortitude Saves Vs Cold Weather or Exposure (does this mean it gets the bonus against cold magic?)

The Generic Halfling traits of +2 Dex and -2 Str
(Thinking that the Artic races in UA are Grimmer than Usual I will give them -1 to CHA and reduce the STR detriment to -1 OR perhaps +2 DEX, +1 STR, +1 CON, -1 INT, -1 WIS and -2 CHA)

The Avarra do not use the standard Classes:

1st - Each "ENCOUNTERED" Avarra is a leveled character, commoners NEVER leave the home valley.

2nd - The Avarra do not use the standard classes but a mixture of two classes in a not quite Gestalt way. Each Avarra is a mix of Barbarian and either Fighter, Ranger, Bard, Cleric, or Druid (No Sorcerers here) and the get only one special ability from each class at each level, HD are Added then Divided by two.

Example: Barbarian/Ranger Mix - Barbarian gets Fast Movement and Rage 1/day at level 1 (No iliteracy here, the Avarra have a very looong written and oral tradition) and a ranger gets Wild Empathy, Track and 1st Favored Enemy at first level. A Ranger type would probably take Fast Movement from the Barbarian side and Wild Empathy from the Ranger side.

at Second level it is an easier choice since each class only gets on SA (Uncanny Dodge and Combat Style

Are you with me so far? Oh, and Yes, it is a high power campaign with the PC's and Major NPC's being full blown Gestalt characters

?, comments. groans and gripes now accepted :p

EDIT: Anyone know a way within the SRD to get them Survival without spending anything on it?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
A barbarian should have to spend a skill point to be literate, it's part of the definition of "barbaric". These are the kids who skipped school to hunt and kill things...

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
(does this mean it gets the bonus against cold magic?)

No, this is specifical to cold weather and exposure, just like it says.

The Generic Halfling traits of +2 Dex and -2 Str
(Thinking that the Artic races in UA are Grimmer than Usual I will give them -1 to CHA and reduce the STR detriment to -1 OR perhaps +2 DEX, +1 STR, +1 CON, -1 INT, -1 WIS and -2 CHA)

You really should not do that. In 3e all racial modifiers should always always ALWAYS[/B] be even numbers- a -1 penalty, in the hands of a savvy player, is virtually always meaningless (just put an even number there and keep your same ability bonus) while a +1 bonus in the same player's hands is virtually always meaningful.

So say I rolled a 17, 16, 14, 13, 10, 9, for a total ability bonus of +8- with your "perhaps" set of modifiers I'd end up with starting scores (racial adjustment) final scores something like:

Str 17 (+1) 18
Dex 16 (+2) 18
Con 10 (+1) 11
Int 13 (-1) 12
Wis 9 (-1) 8
Cha 14 (-2) 12

...which gives me a total ability bonus of +9, one higher than I ought to have. Compare to a race whose mods are all +2 or -2- there is no way to squeeze out an extra +1.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
A barbarian should have to spend a skill point to be literate, it's part of the definition of "barbaric". These are the kids who skipped school to hunt and kill things...

From the D20SRD

"A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had. "

Says the same thing in the DnDWiki 3.5 Open Game Content.

Or perhaps I should have specified the Edition :eek::D

And since they are Dual Class from the start.....

Gray Lensman

Explorer
[MENTION=21556]Jester[/MENTION]: You are probably right, from a simplicity factor as well.

What I will do is give them +2 to DEX and -2 to CHA (instead of STR, that hard life is gonna make them strong), that should be just fine.

Remove ads