• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halfling Wizard - Staff Mastery - Size issues?

Zephyrus

First Post
Dunno if its been brought up once before yet (I thought I remember something about a size issue but cant remember). But is a Halfling prevented from utilizing a staff implement because of its size or simple prevented from utilizing it as a weapon because of size.

If its the former (cannot use it at all) that penalizes halfling's who become wizards.

If its the latter (Cannot use it as a weapon) then it *shrugs* prevents you from using such an obvious weapon item as a weapon.

The only solution I can see is to allow the halfling to re-size the quarterstaff to a lower damage value so that they can wield a two-handed weapon despite their size. Resizing of magic staves could be done same way other magic items could be resized.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say on the idea.

Kordeth

First Post
The description of a staff says it's "as tall or slightly taller than you are," which I take to mean a halfling wizard's staff is about 4 feet long. Granted, it then later says "treat it as a quarterstaff." I'd probably just amend that to "treat it as a quarterstaff or a club" and go with it.

IanB

First Post
It isn't terribly problematic to have a halfling doing d8 with a two handed weapon, since that's what happens when they wield a longsword too. I'd probably just let them use a quarterstaff as a quarterstaff, personally. It creates less found loot issues that way.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The official WotC answer on this was that using an implement to attack counts as an attack, and thus a Medium critter would need two hands on his staff to gain its benefits on attack powers, and a Small critter couldn't ever gain its benefits.

(I was trying to get the Defensive Staff bonus along side a Heavy Shield, and I can get it, but only if I render the implement useless for attack powers.)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads