• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halflings and Thrown Weapons

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It depends on how rigid you expect an RPG rules system to be. Advanced Squad Leader is pretty rigid (there being a difference between adjacent and ADJACENT) but refereed games can be a lot more relaxed.

For me, a halfling gets +1 to hit with anything he throws. Even a mug of beer since that could be an improvised weapon.

Slaved

First Post
billd91 said:
It depends on how rigid you expect an RPG rules system to be. Advanced Squad Leader is pretty rigid (there being a difference between adjacent and ADJACENT) but refereed games can be a lot more relaxed.

For me, a halfling gets +1 to hit with anything he throws. Even a mug of beer since that could be an improvised weapon.

In the case of Halflings I would like the system to be rigid enough that I can tell the difference between a weapon that is currently being thrown versus a weapon that is designed to be thrown.

Is that too much to ask? :(

doosler

First Post
If a dart is a ranged thrown weapon, then do halflings apply their Dex modifier to attack roles using darts, in addition to their +1 racial bonus?

If the halfling also had a modifier due to Str, would he apply that to damage? Those would be some nifty darts.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Slaved said:
In the case of Halflings I would like the system to be rigid enough that I can tell the difference between a weapon that is currently being thrown versus a weapon that is designed to be thrown.

Is that too much to ask? :(

In all seriousness, maybe. The question I would return with is: why would it matter? In any event, it is a weapon being thrown and since halflings are better, relatively speaking, with weapons designed to be thrown, why wouldn't they also be better with objects in general used as thrown weapons?

The example given for halflings to justify the bonus is because they spend a lot of time playing at throwing rocks around. Rocks certainly aren't designed to be throwing weapons since they aren't designed at all.

Kat'

First Post
doosler said:
If a dart is a ranged thrown weapon, then do halflings apply their Dex modifier to attack roles using darts, in addition to their +1 racial bonus?

If the halfling also had a modifier due to Str, would he apply that to damage?

Per RAW, yes and yes.

Those would be some nifty darts

Well... we're talking halflings here, aren't we? You know, the small-sized ones with a Str penalty, wielding small-sized weapons?

EvilMountainDew

First Post
I think it's pretty cut and dry. If you are throwing something, and you're making an attack roll with it, you get a +1. If it's improvised you get a -4 by default, but the halfling gets a +1 making it -3. Halflings are used to throwing things, so they suck marginally less at throwing things not meant to be thrown than a non-halfling.

Remove ads