• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Halflings are the 7th most popular 5e race

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
FWIW, I don't use DDB. I'm not sure that I personally know anyone who does. I'm aware that many people do, but you're right that "anecdotal" is just that. Anecdotally, most of the people with whom I play face-to-face games prefer to do so in person.
Yet even there you can track the species and classes you see/have seen played in your in-person games over the long run, and compare that info to the online data.

Then again, I'm a huge advocate of keeping records of everything if only for posterity.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Really? Because I've recently re-read the Hobbit, and the dwarves in that are more like gnomes, making magical toys, and casting spells to conceal treasure.
Interesting take, as I've always got the impression that while Middle-Earth Dwarves once did use a fair bit of magic they don't and can't really do so now, where "now" is the end part of the Third Age.

Interesting take, as I've always got the impression that while Middle-Earth Dwarves once did use a fair bit of magic they don't and can't really do so now, where "now" is the end part of the Third Age.
It was only the the "unmagical" dwarf trope was so familiar that Tolkien describing dwarven magic in the Hobbit jumped out on re-reading.

[The Dwarves] carried away the pots of gold, and buried them very secretly not far from the track by the river, putting a great many spells over them, just in case they ever had the chance to come back and recover them.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Disagree. Put enough anecdotes together and you'll get a pretty good handle on what's going on, even if not up to scientific standards. "Enough", however, might be quite a lot; as in more than ost people would have easy access to.
The problem is that anecdotes cannot, even in principle, be free of several crippling biases in data collection: they're inherently unsystematic, unrepresentative, self-selected, apophenic, and prone to confirmation bias, effectively personal publication bias (failure to report—"publish"—null/uninteresting results), and the misinformation effect (reports being altered, sometimes a lot, based on how the persons are asked questions.) Hence, while it is "data" in the sense that any information whatsoever can be considered "data," it is data of such low and dubious quality that it cannot be treated as fitting or appropriate for any kind of serious analysis.

There's a reason no one would (or should) trust "anecdata" for medical treatment, for example. A friend telling you they got pain relief from some treatment is an anecdote, and useful as an anecdote. Word-of-mouth reporting has a place and purpose. But that does not mean that getting self-reports from 5000 people about what pain relief worked for them would ever fly as actual data.

Hence: the plural of "anecdote" is not "data." Yes, it's a pithy phrase lacking in nuance, but it carries the essential message: anecdotes are tainted by tons of bias that cannot be filtered out without doing the hard, hard work of actual statistical analysis...at which point you may as well have just collected the data systematically to begin with and saved yourself the bother!

Character "career length" is a completely different - but still interesting - question. It would be interesting, if the data exists, to find out how many sessions each species-class combo gets played on average, to see if there's any overall trends toward higher or lower resilience between different options.
Such data would be super interesting, but almost certainly doesn't exist in systematic form, so we'd be reliant on self reports...which as noted are rather low-quality data.

Further, this would struggle against the effect of campaign failure and/or premature conclusion. I've played in campaigns that would have run for years, I'm sure, if the DM had not had major life events change their plans, forcing them to end the game. (Injured family member needing care in one case, and pseudo-adopting a nephew who needed a new place to live in another case, and a third where a key player had to stop for work stuff, so we wrapped up that campaign faster than originally intended.) Such effects would presumably not be particularly biased toward any one option (life happens!), but they would act to fuzz out any patterns that might exist, and with them likely being relatively subtle to begin with, anything that makes the picture more blurry is liable to make it too blurry to make out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fair enough. I DID try to take a different tack and looked at the data in a different way - which actually makes a fairly solid argument for how good halflings are- the fact that they aren't just one trick pony races, pigeonholed into a single class or single group of classes.

Half orcs suffer the same fate as goliaths - fighters/barbarians make up about 60% of all the characters. And, while it's fairly evenly spread among the remainder, it does make half-orcs something of a one trick race.

Look, I totally get that I'm not going to get what I want. Fair enough. The hold of Tolkien and tradition is just far too strong. I just think it's a shame because the one time we actually managed to get races that aren't Tolkien races- both of them proved to be really, really popular. I've been banging this drum since 3e came out to be honest. Not necessarily haltings. I don't actually care that much if halflings get cut or not. I think they're a waste of space, but, whatever. What I actually want is more variety of races in the PHB because whatever races are in the PHB are the ones that we're going to see in supplements and in modules. How many Aarocockra NPC's have you seen in a WotC module? There's a couple, I'm sure, but, not a heck of a lot. Same with Genasi or Tabaxi or anything else that isn't in the PHB. How many Plasmoid NPC's would you guess appear in the Keys from the Golden Vault? Are we likely to see a Hadozee or a Tabaxi or a Gensai in the new Phandelver book?

At least since Tieflings made it into the PHB, we got TIefling NPC's. But if it's not in the PHB, it might as well not exist for the most part.
What’s funny is, you’ll probably get some part of what you want next year, but it’ll be half elves and half orcs that aren’t in the phb and get swept under the rug. (Even tho doing so is more racist than keeping the “half” phrasing) l

You’ll get new races in the PHB, tho.

But I’m gonna be a bit of a pain and say again, it’s not “the hold of Tolkien and traditionalism”.

But I do sympathize with the desire for new races in the phb.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I've been banging this drum since 3e came out to be honest. Not necessarily haltings. I don't actually care that much if halflings get cut or not.
Sounds like a lot of effort for someone who doesn't care if halflings are cut or not...

Hussar

Legend
What’s funny is, you’ll probably get some part of what you want next year, but it’ll be half elves and half orcs that aren’t in the phb and get swept under the rug. (Even tho doing so is more racist than keeping the “half” phrasing) l

You’ll get new races in the PHB, tho.

But I’m gonna be a bit of a pain and say again, it’s not “the hold of Tolkien and traditionalism”.

But I do sympathize with the desire for new races in the phb.

I’m actually really curious what will happen with half elves. I’m sure they will get called out as a mixed heritage example in the phb. It will be very interesting to see if the number played changes.

My gut tells me that they actually won’t change that much. But I have zero reason to trust my gut. It’s a total guess on my part.

Hussar

Legend
Sounds like a lot of effort for someone who doesn't care if halflings are cut or not...

Umm I meant that I’ve been banging the drum to get new races into the phb. Could honestly not care less about halflings.

I know it’s apparently cool or something to keep insisting that this is because I don’t like halflings. It’s really tiresome to be honest to be constantly mischaracterized like this.

Did you miss the part where I pointed out what I thought was a very strong point in favour of halflings?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I know it’s apparently cool or something to keep insisting that this is because I don’t like halflings. It’s really tiresome to be honest to be constantly mischaracterized like this.
You have simultaneously insisted that the PHB remove the two least popular races and insisted that the PHB remove halflings.
Since halflings aren't one of the two least popular races why do continue to insist they be removed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads