• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halflings?

jbear

First Post
I don’t see how anyone in their right mind can’t see how useful teleporting 25’ as a move action is… but if someone sees that as not useful they can give it to the Halfling… : )

But that is being discussed at great length in other threads.
yep, teleporting to a roof top or other such advantageous high spot and raining magic missiles down on foes as the try and clamber up towards you and then floating down to the floor elegantly with feather fall... I love that. I looked at rogues and halflings and wasn't appealed to by either frankly. Anyone can find traps now, the warlock for example, that can also rain down 1d10+4 +1d6 from 50ft away. Taking away the +1 ST and AC from the halfling is a bit harsh. They could have kept at least one of them for being small.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
The Halfing Ranger in my group has used his racial power twice in five sessions, but both times have really saved his bacon! I think this racial power should really not be underestimated - it certainly makes him a little braver!

WalterKovacs

First Post
Halflings really excel as rogues, not only do they miss out on none of the weapons [except the new double sword], you can optimize your dex and charisma making yourself nearly untouchable on OAs. If you work well, you can provoke OAs to trigger divine or combat challenges, and if an enemy actually DOES hit you, you can have him try again.

One point about the eladrin teleport: They have dex and int. They increase two powers that apply to the same save. Only one class uses both abilities as main skills. They have some great abilities [free weapon prof, less time to sleep, ability to be on watch while sleeping, teleport, free out of class skill training] however, ultimately, they are only optimized as wand wizards. An eladrin rogue or ranger wouldn't get much out of the int boost, for example.

Various races have various flaws.

Humans have no racial skill bonus, and only get one of their ability scores increases. This means, for many skills, there is another race that can do it better. And, the extra at-will attack is wasted for some classes. For example with a paladin or cleric, you have 2 powers that are strength based, and 2 powers for a different stat.

Dwarves have the 5 speed. Also, wisdom and constitution aren't shared by many classes as primary and secondary. They are both secondary for fighters and paladins and wizards. Con is major for warlocks and wisdom for clerics, but in both cases their other skill bonus isn't going to be referenced by their class powers.

Half-Elves have a similar problem, although paladin does make use of constitution, and they can go with a warlock that uses either of their major abilities. One problem though is that, there are only two classes that use charima for at-will attacks, and only one that uses constitution. So you'll have warlock's with a paladin at will, and vice versa most of the time. If your main stat is not one of their racial modifiers, you are making suboptimal use of the racial stat boost to be able to make use of the racial encounter power.

Lizard

Explorer
There seems to be a concept here that if any race is better at X than any other race, something is wrong. While I'd never want to go back to the 1e/2e "Ne dwarf paladins, no half-orc druids" nonsense, the idea that some things are easier/come more naturally to some races than others is not a bad one. Nor do I feel it's necessary to be optimal in order to have fun.

(I'd like to know why a halfling fighter CAN'T use a small-sized greatsword, esp. since weapon scaling rules ARE in the 4e PHB...going back to the 3.0 weapon rules was not a brilliant idea, IMO...)

frankthedm

First Post
So does the Halfling's power inform the character of the attack roll's number? The halfling knows if he was hit or not, but does it actually state the halfling knows if the hit is a crit or not?

Syrsuro

First Post
So does the Halfling's power inform the character of the attack roll's number? The halfling knows if he was hit or not, but does it actually state the halfling knows if the hit is a crit or not?

Not in the RAW specifically afaik, but most DMs seem to play it that way (that the Hafling can tell the difference between a hit and a crit).

Carl

Hermod

First Post
(I'd like to know why a halfling fighter CAN'T use a small-sized greatsword, esp. since weapon scaling rules ARE in the 4e PHB...going back to the 3.0 weapon rules was not a brilliant idea, IMO...)

They can, they're called Longswords. They're no mechanical difference between shrinking a Greatsword down to Halflling size and using a Longsword. Or if you want to use a d10 with your Halfling two handed fighter, that pick up Bastard Sword Proficiency like I did. Nothing is scary than a Halfling swinging around a sword bigger than his body at crotch level. ;p

WalterKovacs

First Post
They can, they're called Longswords. They're no mechanical difference between shrinking a Greatsword down to Halflling size and using a Longsword. Or if you want to use a d10 with your Halfling two handed fighter, that pick up Bastard Sword Proficiency like I did. Nothing is scary than a Halfling swinging around a sword bigger than his body at crotch level. ;p

Similarly with longsword as a "small" greatsword, they can get rapier as a "small" bastard sword.

Hermod

First Post
Similarly with longsword as a "small" greatsword, they can get rapier as a "small" bastard sword.

Actually, since the Bastard Sword has the Versatile keyword Halfling can wield it with, but only with both hands. They can use a Rapier with one hand as it doesn't have the versatile keyword.

Starbuck_II

First Post
There seems to be a concept here that if any race is better at X than any other race, something is wrong. While I'd never want to go back to the 1e/2e "Ne dwarf paladins, no half-orc druids" nonsense, the idea that some things are easier/come more naturally to some races than others is not a bad one. Nor do I feel it's necessary to be optimal in order to have fun.

Not even 3.0 weapon rules. 4.0 scales larger never smaller.
So they took the idea of the fact that larger monsters might use larger weapon, but didn't take the smaller weapon part.

1) They thought that it would be too much extra work to allow small weapons.
2) didn't consider idea
3) Balance issue

But who knows (Except the Shadow)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads