• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hallow & Dispel Magic?

Wolffenjugend

First Post
Dispel Magic is listed as one of the spells Hallow can make permanent for one year. How would this work? Is there a check made against every magical effect that enters the area? Or one per character? What is someone leaves and comes back in?

coyote6

Adventurer
I would assume at the least, a targeted dispel against anything coming into the area (that would be affected by the hallowed spell -- you could have it only affect non-good, orcs, etc.) -- that would be a roll against every spell effect that enters. And I'd say that anyone that entered, then left, would earn fresh dispel checks.

The scary idea is that it could be a targeted dispel against every affected entity, every round. That, I'm not sure about -- nothing in the rules seems to support or deny it. Seems pretty damned powerful, though.

I'm also not sure if a hallowed dispel magic will attempt to automatically counterspell (via dispel check) any spell cast by an affected individual. Also very powerful.

Hmm, maybe you pick one of the options, just like a regular casting of dispel magic -- targeted, area, or counterspell. Area would be fairly useless, since targeted would seem to affect anyone entering the area of the hallow anyways. But a all-the-time-for-a-year counterspell would be handy.

hong

WotC's bitch
coyote6 said:
The scary idea is that it could be a targeted dispel against every affected entity, every round. That, I'm not sure about -- nothing in the rules seems to support or deny it. Seems pretty damned powerful, though.
Geoff did that to us when we did the RttToH, and by god it was annoying.

shilsen

Adventurer
coyote6 said:

I'd make it a targeted dispel against every affected entity only on entry into the area. And again every time one leaves the area and re-enters. The spell as written doesn't clarify one way or the other, so I figure this way is as good as any.

Remove ads